What's new

Sriracha shortage

I read that there is a shortage in the US of this icon of a hot sauce with scalpers asking 100 bucks and upward for a bottle :facep:

So I feel with you brothers and even if the situation is grim it seems to be a local issue to a certain extent. Europe gets its main supply via the Netherlands and this route seems to still function well.

Picture was taken at my Korean supermarket an hour ago.

9912EF2F-DE64-4882-A23F-76114C13E9D5.jpeg

It seems as though there's another looming shortage, but I'm still finfing it here and there. I did try the Tobasco brand sriracha and actually prefer it to the original version. I find the tobasco stuff a touch smokey.

It seems as though there's another looming shortage, but I'm still finfing it here and there. I did try the Tobasco brand sriracha and actually prefer it to the original version. I find the tobasco stuff a touch smokey.
We have the Mc Ilhenny version here as well but I haven’t tried it yet. I do love their Chipotle sauce though.

I have been wondering why I couldn't find it. I used up my last bottle three months ago and keep hoping to find it in the store. My store has tobasco brand sriracha and I haven't wanted to risk trying it. Has anyone here tried it? The store also has the proper brand (Hoy Fong) sriracha tomato ketchup !?! and I haven't dared try that either.

Guess I'll have to try one of the off brands

From what I understand, sambal oelek is made by the same company that's having sriracha supply problems. I was looking for some not too long ago and can't find any.

Sambal Oelek is kind of like ketchup in Indonesia! There are other companies making it, but you would have to shop in a Asian market to find them.

I enjoy sriracha and prefer the Huy Fong or Flying Goose brands; I have read of shortages but I still find it in my local Asian supermarkets. These days I tend to use more Cholula hot sauce.
We use way more Cholula than Sriracha at our house too. We recently picked up the 2L jug on Amazon.

Sriracha for stir-fry, Asian food and sometimes eggs.

I find Cholula more flavourful than spicy hot and more versatile.

I experienced this shortage earlier this year, but I was under presumption that the situation had been rectified.
I was unaware until I ran out and of course could not find it anywhere.

I've been seeing it more readily available here in SoCal, but I've since read that production is a fraction of what normal output should be due to limitation on chili's.

I use H.F. Sriracha on most anything that isn't Mexican, then I vary between Cholula and Valentina. The latter to me is more authentic tasting, though I enjoy both along with Tapatio.

Crystal and Louisiana brand hot sauce are in regular rotation as well - :thumbup1:

@AndyPanda
The ketchup is pretty good. I grew up adding Tabasco to my ketchup for fried things like chicken or fish...

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have been wondering why I couldn't find it. I used up my last bottle three months ago and keep hoping to find it in the store. My store has tobasco brand sriracha and I haven't wanted to risk trying it. Has anyone here tried it? The store also has the proper brand (Hoy Fong) sriracha tomato ketchup !?! and I haven't dared try that either.

We have Huy Fong in ATX. I also love the Sriracha ketchup. It is sweeter and less zippy than Melinda's jalapeño or habanero ketchup. Speaking of Melinda's, her bhut jolokia is our favorite, but we still like Cholula sprinkled on fries. We can't keep Sambal Oelek in stock. My son drinks it from the bottle when no one is watching! Seriously, though, try Melinda's bhut jolokia on fried eggs. Yowza.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
We have Huy Fong in ATX. I also love the Sriracha ketchup. It is sweeter and less zippy than Melinda's jalapeño or habanero ketchup. Speaking of Melinda's, her bhut jolokia is our favorite, but we still like Cholula sprinkled on fries. We can't keep Sambal Oelek in stock. My son drinks it from the bottle when no one is watching! Seriously, though, try Melinda's bhut jolokia on fried eggs. Yowza.
I enjoy Melinda's products very much. :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I like Huy Fong's sriracha, sambal oelek and chili-garlic sauce. Probably the last one best, actually.

They're having a tough time getting peppers due to drought conditions and loss of productive farmland.

O.H.

I actually prefer the Tobasco brand Sriracha over Huy Fong. It has a bit of a smokey flavor and is a tad less sweet. For the minimal cost you may as well give it a go.

Legion

Staff member
Until today I didn't even know that Sriracha was made in the US. I always thought it was Thai. I just had to go check the bottle in the fridge to make sure.

I might need to pick up a backup bottle, since I don't think the shortage has hit here yet.

Sri Racha sauce IS Thai... the clue is in the name.

That rooster/mexican etc is not...

Sri Racha is as district/county in Thailand where the genuine sauce gets its name from.

"The sauce was first produced in the 1940s by a Thai woman named Thanom Chakkapak in the town of Si Racha (or Sriracha), Thailand.[6][7] The Sriracha sauce itself may be an adaptation of a Cantonese garlic and chili sauce originally from Shunde, China. In the early 1900s, Cantonese immigrants settled in Si Racha, and their garlic and chili sauce was sold in Thailand for decades before the first bottles of Sriraja Panich were produced.[8]"

It goes without saying that there is no looming shortage of chillies in all their wondrous variety here in Thailand :facep:

tempImagehdf3Yh.png

Top Bottom