What's new

.38 Super velocity testing: Underwood 124 JHP vs Sig V-Crown 125 JHP

I mentioned in another thread that I was trying out my new Garmin Xero C1 Pro chronograph, and finally got to check velocities on ammo I like. One of the tests I wanted to run was my .38 Super carry load, the Underwood 124 gr JHP, and compare it to my previous .38 Super carry load, the now discontinued Sig V-Crown 125 gr JHP. This test was using my carry Super, a Para Ordnance frame with Caspian slide and a 5" Nowlin barrel.

Here's the five-shot results with the Underwood ammo:
  • Five-shot average: 1,351 FPS, with energy of 503 FP
Here's the five-shot results with the Sig ammo:
  • Five-shot average: 1,265 FPS, with energy of 444 FP
I found it interesting that both rounds came in at or above the advertised velocity. Underwood advertises 1,350 out of a 5" barrel, so they hit that one on the head. While now discontinued, Sig used to advertise 1,230 out of an unknown barrel length. So the rounds definitely perform as advertised.

I plan to build up a carry load for the Super using 1,000 pieces of the 125 V-Crown bullets I sourced about a year ago. Until I do that, I feel fine carrying the Underwood ammo.

Very nice! I've always been a fan of the .38 Super and when you look at those velocity/energy figures, they mirror that of one of the best man-stoppers ever, the .357 Magnum.
My best friend has a Colt Lightweight Commander in .38 Super. I am terribly jealous of him.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
How do you like the Xero? I’ve got one on my Christmas wish list but they seem to be back ordered everywhere.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've never figured out why the .38 Super and its variants were not more popular other than the lack of available firearms that are not geared to competition. Obviously the factory ammo is hard to come by, but if a viable self defense platform were available, then the ammo demand would follow. Build it and they will come. There needs to be a mid-sized platform along the lines of a Glock 19/23 or equivalent S&W M&P or what ever chambered in .38 Super/ Super Comp. that would attract the CCW crowd. Of course there is the 1911 platform, but not every one wants one of those and a good one is a little pricey compared to the Glocks and S&W genre. Modestly priced CCW pistols would drive the demand. Does anyone know if a Glock has be successfully converted to .38 Super?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Answered my own question, old thread in Glock Talk addresses the issue. Aftermarket barrels have been made, but Glock 20 sized frames must be used due to COAL and the magazines still don't function reliably. Now that 9mm Major loads have grown more popular, there is less demand for .38 Super and this is all driven by competition shooters.

Answered my own question, old thread in Glock Talk addresses the issue. Aftermarket barrels have been made, but Glock 20 sized frames must be used due to COAL and the magazines still don't function reliably. Now that 9mm Major loads have grown more popular, there is less demand for .38 Super and this is all driven by competition shooters.

9mm Major is purely competition-based. .38 Super got a new lease on life in the U.S. in the '80s due to competition, but it made a lot of folks like me realize how good the cartridge is compared to the 9mm. But the .38 Super is still popular outside of the U.S. in countries that don't allow civilians to own guns in military calibers, such as the 9mm.

I have two Supers. One with a conventional barrel (single stack) and one with a ramped, fully supported barrel (double stack). I shoot the double stack a lot and handload for both.
I just built up 200 rounds of 'carry' ammunition for these guns, using new super comp brass, small rifle primers, 124 gr gold dot bullets, and VV N105 powder (I still have three pounds of it on the shelf). Velocities run between 1,400 and 1,500 fps, depending on the load. Yes, I have seen numbers from my chrono at or slightly above 1,500 fps in a 5" 1911 (VV N105 compressed charge and bullets seated out as far as I can and still get them in a magazine).
For every day shooting, I use 124 gr Zero JHPs and Accurate #7. It's not quite as fast as N105, but neither show any signs of excess pressure, even at maximum charges. I don't know how hard I could push the double stack, but I could probably get close to 1,500 fps with AA #7. Maybe a bit over. I just don't see any reason to stress then gun that much, even though I believe it would take it. The term "Super Face" did not come out of IPSC by accident.

I only use super comp brass.

This is, in my opinion, a handloader's cartridge. It's ridiculously easy to load. With the exception of the case length, it could easily be 9mm. Only when one pulls the trigger does the difference become obvious.

I own several 9mm pistols, but for some reason, fire 10 rounds of Super for every round of 9mm.

Bill.

Top Bottom