What's new

Best Thiers Issard straight razors

Well it takes one to know one doesn't it? :001_smile I do remember that set, and they still look good.

well, not sure if i had posted earlier, this is how they arrived from the retailer!
Simply poor packing on the part of the factory or the retailer.
The retailer had to replace several that were injured in-transit.

thiers issard feston collection arrival.JPG

well, not sure if i had posted earlier, this is how they arrived from the retailer!
Simply poor packing on the part of the factory or the retailer.
The retailer had to replace several that were injured in-transit

View attachment 1154378
That's not good, but we all can have a bad day. I hope that the vendor didn't argue. I've only got one razor from that series, but I'm pretty sure that I got it from the same seller. The first was stolen in the customs at Frankfurt (what has the world come to?). The retailer didn't argue but sent me a new one immediately.

That's not good, but we all can have a bad day. I hope that the vendor didn't argue. I've only got one razor from that series, but I'm pretty sure that I got it from the same seller. The first was stolen in the customs at Frankfurt (what has the world come to?). The retailer didn't argue but sent me a new one immediately.

not sure same retailer; mine was north american.

not sure same retailer; mine was north american.
We can't be sure but it was the main reseller of TI in North America and the only one I know of that sold those razors as a seven day set, but the main thing is that you in the end got got a nice set of those beautiful razors.

Last edited:
I'm partly guilty of derailing this thread. I do apologize and I hope that this post might render me some forgiveness. The thread title is "Best Thiers Issard Straight Razor". Best is a very subjective expression. I am the happy owner of at least one specimen of every currently produced TI razor. If I was to interpret Best as the ones that makes my heart beat fastest it's undoubtedly their 7/8 (actually 15/16) thumb notch razor. I've inserted a photo of one of them below. To me this is about as beautiful a razor design gets. It's a good shaver too, but it's very hard to keep a straight face while claiming that a razor as large as this one isn't demanding. It does however have a thin spine and thus it doesn't weigh too much so it's easier to shave with than it looks. I do have three of these in different configurations and I love them all.

20200914_175019.jpg

If I instead interprete Best as being the TI razor model that is easiest to shave with while still giving perfect results I'd say that it is their standard 5/8 full hollow razor. It is an truly amazing shaver that I find very hard to let go of. The balance is perfect, it is extremely easy to handle and very forgiving, that is unless you choose a version with the French point. I had two, one round point in faux tortoise and one French point in some black wood. After very careful consideration I decided that I never want to be without one of these so just as a safety measure I ordered a third one that came today. It's in the photograph below. In my opinion (take it for what it's worth) this round pointed razor with its extremely hard steel and good balance is one of the absolutely best razors made today.

20200914_175102.jpg

I hope this post does that you will find it in your hearts to state "Ego te absolvo".:LMS

I'm partly guilty of derailing this thread. I do apologize and I hope that this post might render me some forgiveness. The thread title is "Best Thiers Issard Straight Razor". Best is a very subjective expression. I am the happy owner of at least one specimen of every currently produced TI razor. If I was to interpret Best as the ones that makes my heart beat fastest it's undoubtedly their 7/8 (actually 15/16) thumb notch razor. I've inserted a photo of one of them below. To me this is about as beautiful a razor design gets. It's a good shaver too, but it's very hard to keep a straight face while claiming that a razor as large as this one isn't demanding. It does however have a thin spine and thus it doesn't weigh too much so it's easier to shave with than it looks. I do have three of these in different configurations and I love them all.

View attachment 1154835

If I instead interprete Best as being the TI razor model that is easiest to shave with while still giving perfect results I'd say that it is their standard 5/8 full hollow razor. It is an truly amazing shaver that I find very hard to let go of. The balance is perfect, it is extremely easy to handle and very forgiving, that is unless you choose a version with the French point. I had two, one round point in faux tortoise and one French point in some black wood. After very careful consideration I decided that I never want to be without one of these so just as a safety measure I ordered a third one that came today. It's in the photograph below. In my opinion (take it for what it's worth) this round pointed razor with its extremely hard steel and good balance is one of the absolutely best razors made today.

View attachment 1154836

I hope this post does that you will find it in your hearts to state "Ego te absolvo".:LMS

I was considering buying that exact TI from Fendrihan, lol.

My new TI. Beautiful and absolutely shave-ready:

706B271D-A4CA-44E3-A5FB-C6961F5BBBF3.jpeg

Sorry EspressoAndAftershave, but IMHO I can't stand the Art of Shaving blades (there are many), I think they look tacky compared to the scales. I had an eye on the stainless steel TI razor, but the blade had that horrible text so it's a no go.

It's not just the Art of Shving, I also hate the Shave Nation blades too. Don't get me wrong, I love engraved blades with classics like 'Celebrated' or 'Tenax' but to put a cheesy web site name on a blade. Just No.

Sorry EspressoAndAftershave, but IMHO I can't stand the Art of Shaving blades (there are many), I think they look tacky compared to the scales. I had an eye on the stainless steel TI razor, but the blade had that horrible text so it's a no go.

It's not just the Art of Shving, I also hate the Shave Nation blades too. Don't get me wrong, I love engraved blades with classics like 'Celebrated' or 'Tenax' but to put a cheesy web site name on a blade. Just No.

Jealous. Lol.

Thank you, that's most kind of you :001_smile

The collection started out as a cute baby about twelve years ago. It grew slowly only taking up one shelf in a bookcase for years. Then about 2012 it began to grow uncontrollable. Today it has a room of it's own, but it hasn't grown much the last few years, kind of like an adolescent who has left puberty. The room isn't crammed but well organised with two display cabinets and a large cabinet holding parafernalia like strops, brushes, soaps and the razors I never should have bought. Then there are two very nice armchairs and a small table. So it's a very nice place to sit and have a conversation with guests while they most likely are wondering if I've totally lost my marbles.

The well lit up display cabinet holding my collection of historic Gillette razors (I love to just stop and admire the beauty of the Gillette ABC razors), my old Swedish DE razors and the standard DE razors I've kept illuminates the staircase at the ground floor.

If @Mango ever launches that straight razor museum website I've been nagging on him for many years to build I might be able to add a subsection displaying the history of the Eskilstuna razors.

Besides from the above I'm a very normal widower focusing on giving my young son (The Cub) a good upbringing and putting food on the table. I guess that I'm to be considered lucky being able to indulge myself with this hobby.
Ciao Arne my friend,
70% of my collection is visible on Pinterest !
However I cannot display a Pinterest link on B&B due to forum rules. I would be more than happy to share it on PM for those who might be willing to have a look.
A Scandinavian section would be very nice indeed.
Will send you the link by mail...

Top Bottom