What's new

Challenge PIF - Classic Wilkinsons Vs Modern Wilkinsons

Edge 1, shave 1, German blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic), OSP Orange & Patchouli cream.

A box-fresh razor and a blade straight out the wrapper, and these two were literally made for each other! The German blade is noticeably smoother than the English, and those parts of my neck and moustache area that only get a single pass have a better finish. The rest of my face you can't tell the difference, but I'd anticipate dealing with seven or eight o'clock shadow rather than Thursday's five o'clock.

Of course, having such a lovely shave with equipment I'm familiar with, knowing I'm going to be reporting to my internet friends, I get cocky, inattentive, and get a tiny weeper on my jawline. Maybe I should award round 1 to the English blade?!

Changing blades!

PURPOSE. The goal is to pick a winner! No ties allowed!!

This should be a classic match-up between two solid, heavy-weight contenders.

METHODS. No blinding. So this will be consistent with my daily shaves rather than the ’highest science’ or a ‘blind wine tasting.’ Top-tier hardware and software are designed to allow each blade to shine!

Prep. Hot shower, then CeraVe face wash.

Soap. MWF for blade one of each brand, then Haslinger schafmilch (‘tallow’) for blade two.

Brush. 2 or 3-band badger from my rotation.

After shave. Fine splash (’4 simple indgredients’) containing alcohol but no soothing ingredients.

Each shave will be judged using the ’10 point must system’ (my usual 10 point grading for daily shaves).

RESULTS.

German one

Shave #1: 9
Shave #2: 9.5
Shave #3: 9
Shave #4: 9
Shave #5: 9
Shave #6: 9.5
Shave #7: 8.5
average: 9.1

British one
Shave #1: 8.5
Shave #2: 9
Shave #5: 8.5
Shave #6: 9
average: 8.8

German two

Shave 17 - German Wilkinson, 9th Use

German Shave #9 with a V3 SuperSpeed, Proraso Red Tub, Golden Shave/Semogue synthetic, & Nivea Sensitive PSB.

AAHH!! Back to comfort. I started using the second edge of the blade today, in a milder razor than the R41/ Mk. II pair I had moved up to. 3 passes + a little buffing = 1 BBS shave. I did manage to nick myself slightly due to operator error, but the post shave alum went silent again. My OL seemed to approve of the shave.

METHODS. No blinding. So this will be consistent with my daily shaves rather than the ’highest science’ or a ‘blind wine tasting.’ Top-tier hardware and software are designed to allow each blade to shine!

Soap. MWF for blade one of each brand, then Haslinger schafmilch (‘tallow’) for blade two.

After shave. Fine splash (’4 simple indgredients’) containing alcohol but no soothing ingredients.

Each shave will be judged using the ’10 point must system’ (my usual 10 point grading for daily shaves).

RESULTS.

German one

British one

German two

Shave 18 - UK Wilkinson, 9th Use

German Shave #9 with an NDC SuperSpeed, Proraso Red Tub, Semogue 830 boar, & Nivea Sensitive PSB.

I started using the second edge of the UK blade today, in an NDC SS. 3 passes + a little buffing = 1 BBS shave, just like yesterday. No muss, no fuss, no drama. Perhaps minutely closer than yesterday's shave with the German WS. As I type this, 8 hours after my morning shave, it still is closer to BBS than to DFS. A very nice shave indeed!

Edge 1, shave 2, English blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic), Cella.

This blade doesn't seemed to have smoothed out any yet. However, those areas that receive only a single pass are noticeably closer-cut than for shave #1.

Despite throwing the blade around with relative abandon, there was barely any alum sting, although there was a hint of irritation in places. This has passed after about half an hour.

It wasn't a pleasure to use, but has returned very pleasurable results. Reminds me of a Voskhod this morning.

Finally BBS!!

RESULTS.

German one

British one

German two
Shave #3: 10!!!

Shave 19 - German Wilkinson, 10th Use

German Shave #10 with a V3 SuperSpeed, Proraso Red Tub, Golden Shave/Semogue synthetic, & Nivea Sensitive PSB.

Sorry guys, no drama to report. Just a 3-pass DFS shave in a couple of spots and BBS the rest of the way. It's almost enough to make me want to shave off my beard so I could shave more. Almost. But I have to keep it, Im not as good looking as the Farmer.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Just had shave #2 with the "French" English vintage Wilkie. Moved it to my Charcoal Goods Level 2. Had a great shave. I used B&M Nordost today. The shave results were very close to a total BBS. I know this isnt one of the challenge blades, but its a Wilkie and its better than both of the others so far... by a lot. Enjoy and stay safe!

After shave. Fine splash (’4 simple indgredients’) contain alcohol but no soothing ingredients.

RESULTS.

German one

British one

German two
Shave #3: 10!!!
Shave #4: 9.5

Modern Razor Shaves ... Interesting

Shave 1 - Monday

RazoRock Game Changer .68
German Wilkinson (First Use)
Pre de Provence Soap
RazoRock Big Bruce
Barrister & Mann Reserve Spice Aftershave

Surprisingly, not a bad shave. Certainly better feeling than the same blade in my 1940's Tech, and reasonably close. Still not as sharp or close as the Astra SP I used over the weekend, though. Turns out I may not actually hate this blade.

Shave 2 - Tuesday
RazoRock Game Changer .84
German Wilkinson (Second Use)
Proraso Red Pre-shave
Proraso Red Cream
RazoRock Big Bruce
Proraso Red Aftershave

Okay, I'll say it: Wow! Very near DFS in two passes and smooth as glass all the way through. I don't know if it was the second use on the blade, the larger gap on the razor, or the magic that Proraso Red always seems to bring, but this combination was very pleasant. I'm glad I'm finally having an experience similar to others here. It's making me want to try the Brit in the same combo tomorrow, and I think I will!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Vintage UK over the German any day of the week for me.

I likely did not directly tell you about Haslinger but I'm sure I've warned everyone about Arko. :whistling:

And don't pollute a Haslinger soap with another, it's so wonderful on its own.
Brother, you know I live dangerously; I married a woman I'm afraid of. So I didn't follow your advice....

Cute sheep. If anyone has the background, the chutzpah, and the stock of Arko to grab a stick, chase down a sheep puck, and give it the ‘Schaf’... Well, that person would be a ruggedly handsome gent with an excellent tan. @FarmerTan , this quest is yours! Don’t forget to take a Wilkie sword into the battle!

I started my epic quest last night. And to avoid ANY CHANCE of polluting ANY SOAP, here is what I did. Ingenious, for a simpleton like me:

I rub the stick of Arko on the right side of my face, and the puck of That Soap I CAN'T Pronounce on the left. Schalfmilch? Whatever. Here is the amazing part to me: the Arko barely colored my face, but the Sheepy one REALLY coated my face.

Then I wet my brush and went to town rubbing my face back and forth. Lather exploded! For any of you folks that love the smell of Arko, never fear: if anything, it smells even better! I know! Impossible you say!

The shave was honestly the best of my life it was the German Wilky, use number 4, in my 1962 Tech, and here I am probably 18 hours later and my ruggedly good looking face is still BBS! I think there are whiskers beneath the surface of my skin that are AFRAID to come out to face the English Wilky. True story.

Following the shave, I put some Dollar store hand cream on my face, and then some Dollar store version of Brut.

Bestest part: I made the War Department rub my face, and even though she's a hard headed German that only usually does as she's told at gun point, she did so. Her eyes actually lit up. True story. AND she liked the smell.

I'm not shaving again til Thursday, as I am expecting a one of a kind brush from a friend I like to call @Graydog. And honestly, I don't think I'll have any beard until then anyway!

Brother, you know I live dangerously; I married a woman I'm afraid of. So I didn't follow your advice....
1588123309526.png

Shave 20 - UK Wilkinson, 10th Use
UK Shave #10 with an NDC SuperSpeed, Proraso Red Tub, Semogue 830, & Nivea Sensitive PSB.

As I get to the 20th shave in this cage match, the UK blade is staging a come-from-behind rally. Today's shave was pure bliss. Smooth as silk. No nicks, weepers or irritation. BBS all the way.

Edge 1, shave 2, German blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic), Cella.

There are few shaves more pleasurable than a German Wilkie on it's second use. For me at least. There was a little bit of alum sting around the jaw line, but no irritation, and my face feels wonderful.

That is all.

Modern Razor Shaves ... Continued

Shave 3 - Wednesday

RazoRock Game Changer .84
British Wilkinson (First Use)
Proraso Red Pre-shave
Proraso Red Cream
RazoRock Big Bruce
Clubman Aftershave

Certainly better than with the Tech, but nowhere near as smooth as the German Wilkie yesterday. I really wish the Brit had won so I could justify buying some. Oh, well. I'll give it one more try tomorrow in my CGL2.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Had to try the older diagonal-striped vintage English blade just one more time during this challenge. In the spirit of the British, I grabbed a very cherry Brit Flat Bottom example, and had one heck of a great shave. The Brit blade was very smooth and efficient in this razor. Not quite as precise and close shaving as the Charcoal Goods, but it was a very pleasurable shaving experience. Plus the mojo of these old razors is unbeatable. Strong DFS results. This blade is far better than the newer non-striped vintage British blade used in this challenge. Soap today was Hasslingers Schafsmilch. Finished it off with The Holy Black Neroli Plus splash. Overall a great shave!

Next up... I am going to close out my participation in the Wilkie challenge by shaving with a Sinagpore Wilkie.

Flat bottom Shave - 2020-04-29.jpg

Flat bottom Shave 2 - 2020-04-29.jpg

Attachments

• Flat bottom Shave 3 - 2020-04-29.jpg
    Flat bottom Shave 3 - 2020-04-29.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

The shave was honestly the best of my life it was the German Wilky, use number 4, in my 1962 Tech, and here I am probably 18 hours later and my ruggedly good looking face is still BBS! I think there are whiskers beneath the surface of my skin that are AFRAID to come out to face the English Wilky. True story....

Bestest part: I made the War Department rub my face, and even though she's a hard headed German that only usually does as she's told at gun point, she did so. Her eyes actually lit up. True story. AND she liked the smell.

I'm not shaving again til Thursday, as I am expecting a one of a kind brush from a friend I like to call @Graydog. And honestly, I don't think I'll have any beard until then anyway!

CONGRATULATIONS!! As good as it gets! Sanctioned by LOTH!! :austin1: :austin1:

Top Bottom