What's new

Challenge PIF - Classic Wilkinsons Vs Modern Wilkinsons

Late rounds!!

PURPOSE. The goal is to pick a winner! No ties allowed!!

This should be a classic match-up between two solid, heavy-weight contenders.

METHODS. No blinding. So this will be consistent with my daily shaves rather than the ’highest science’ or a ‘blind wine tasting.’ Top-tier hardware and software are designed to allow each blade to shine!

Prep. Hot shower, then CeraVe face wash.

Soap. MWF for blade one of each brand, then Haslinger schafmilch (‘tallow’) for blade two.

Brush. 2 or 3-band badger from my rotation.

Razor. Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle

After shave. Fine splash (’4 simple indgredients’) contain alcohol but no soothing ingredients.

Each shave will be judged using the ’10 point must system’ (my usual 10 point grading for daily shaves).

RESULTS.

German one

Shave #1: 9
Shave #2: 9.5
Shave #3: 9
Shave #4: 9
Shave #5: 9
Shave #6: 9.5
Shave #7: 8.5
average: 9.1

British one
Shave #1: 8.5
Shave #2: 9
Shave #5: 8.5
Shave #6: 9
average: 8.8

German two
Shave #3: 10!!!
Shave #4: 9.5

British two

My den is now currently stocked with my chosen winner!
20200420_145620.jpg

My fourth shave using modern German Wilkinson on the (plastic) Wilkinson Classic was so good and comfortable, I decided to go back to the Baili (tech-clone) today and see if this blade is literally improving with use. The fifth shave this morning was an almost perfect one.... Again, I value comfort above anything else and those blades are really growing on me now.

Now this blade also passed my personal durability test, I'm ok with 4 shaves, this one will probably last twice as much.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My Results:

After a number of shaves with each challenge blade, plus the addition of two additional Wilkinson Sword blades just for fun, I will declare my winner in two parts.

Winner of the challenge: Between the two specific challenge blades, the vintage British Super Sword Edge blade was the clear winner. The German blade was tuggy and left me with irritation on all shaves. It was not a good experience. The Brit Super Sword Edge was decent. It wasn’t awesome, but it was a somewhat solid blade. Much better than the German blade on all fronts.

49CA5F9E-5888-412C-85C1-DFAFDC827484.jpeg
EAFBB158-EEDF-4485-94C7-0F344FCBDB3B.jpeg

Overall Winner: Vintage British Brown Label French Market blade. This blade is an older Brit blade with the diagonal stripes printed on the blade with the logo. It was far superior to all of the other wilkies I tested during this challenge. I would say it is an excellent vintage blade that stands up well amongst its vintage peers. I like this blade as much as a Spoiler. It’s sharp and smooth. The shaves are long lasting. And the blade seems to have some longevity so far. I am about five shaves in on this blade and it’s still showing no signs of degradation.

3B33F3CB-239B-4084-B900-D2D7CAB26479.jpeg

Honorable Mention: Shanghai Wilkinson Sword. This blade is somewhat sharp and super smooth. I used this blade for my last couple of shaves. It gave me a solid DFS+ with zero irritation. My only complaint with this blade is that the shaves were not long lasting. I started feeling stubble later in the day... quicker than usual. But at less than $10 for a hundred pack, these readily available blades are a good value blade.

5D83AEFE-3312-4CEF-9A5B-FFBECBB69FE3.jpeg

Thank you to all involved with this challenge. It was quite fun.

Late rounds!!

METHODS. No blinding. So this will be consistent with my daily shaves rather than the ’highest science’ or a ‘blind wine tasting.’ Top-tier hardware and software are designed to allow each blade to shine!

Soap. MWF for blade one of each brand, then Haslinger schafmilch (‘tallow’) for blade two.

After shave. Fine splash (’4 simple indgredients’) contains alcohol but no soothing ingredients.

Each shave will be judged using the ’10 point must system’ (my usual 10 point grading for daily shaves).

RESULTS.

German one

British one

German two

British two

Late rounds!!

After shave. Fine splash (’4 simple indgredients’) contains alcohol but no soothing ingredients.

RESULTS.

German one

British one

German two

British two

This morning my modern german Wilkinson was back on the Muhle R89, sixth shave was freaking awesome again. this blade is clearly exceeding my expectations.

Late rounds!!

RESULTS.

German one

British one

German two

British two

RESULTS.

German one

British one

German two

British two
average: 8.9

DISCUSSION.

This one goes to the judges!

Both Wilkinson options were tough and went the distance. In fact, I could easily have pushed each for a few more shaves. Interesting that it took a shave or two for both to reach their stride.

In the end the judges were unanimous: German Wilkinson took the bout. Blade one was 9.1 vs. 8.8. Blade two was 9.1 vs. 8.9. In other words a very tough match-up!

There was no loser here!! I could get on very well with either!

I went on with two more shaves, using a Yaqi scalloped and a Yaqi "merkur 15c clone". The first one was excellent again, while the last one just very good (it was my first time on that head, and my first time with an open comb) but I have now equalized my personal best of 8 shaves on 1 blade. Tomorrow I will set my new personal best and then toss this excellent blade.

Last shave for me on this blade (german Wilkinson's) today, this morning I used it on my Merkur Futur clone (Qshave) and I had one more comfortable shave: 9th in a row, my new personal best on a single blade.

I was expecting the worse blade ever when I first removed the paper, while I discovered one of the most consistently comfortable blades I ever used.

When I use a new razor for the fist time, I always want something I'm very familiar with (that's generally a Personna red): after just a few shaves I trusted this blade enugh to break in not one but two new "dificult" razors (my first open comb and my first adjustable). I believe this tells a lot on the confidence this blade inspired me.

Hey, everybody! Guess what!? :w00t:

Yup...

proxy.php

My Wilkinson blades arrived today! It only took 7 weeks (exactly 49 days) from when @Grundi put them in the mail.

Now, considering that the last post in this thread was two weeks ago, I haven't decided whether I should post reviews or not. I'm pretty sure that it's going to end up like the ELIOS thread (where I was basically just running up my post count). Is anybody going to bother reading them? :laugh:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Hey, everybody! Guess what!? :w00t:

Yup...

proxy.php

My Wilkinson blades arrived today! It only took 7 weeks (exactly 49 days) from when @Grundi put them in the mail.

Now, considering that the last post in this thread was two weeks ago, I haven't decided whether I should post reviews or not. I'm pretty sure that it's going to end up like the ELIOS thread (where I was basically just running up my post count). Is anybody going to bother reading them? :laugh:

Absolutely! Keep on it, and get the results up here. Not just for the readers now, but those in the future.

I missed out on this PIF, but found some on the Bay. I learned to shave with the English Wilkies, and used them exclusively for 10 years. Then they went German, and I used those exclusively for 10+ years :biggrin1:

I'm on my first English Wilkie since ~2000, and just did shave 13 on it. Really enjoying it.

Get on it, @Demolition !

I heard a rumor that @FarmerTan will be back here if he can remember where he put his gumption.

I actually rustled up a couple German Wilkies from @CMP after this PIFified shave test caught my interest. The first one is doing fine for me, but a little sidelined what with the Wilkie post drought.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Get on it, @Demolition !

I heard a rumor that @FarmerTan will be back here if he can remember where he put his gumption.

I actually rustled up a couple German Wilkies from @CMP after this PIFified shave test caught my interest. The first one is doing fine for me, but a little sidelined what with the Wilkie post drought.
This old man is planning to shave tomorrow. Might even use a certain long comb someone gave me.

And yes, @Demolition , I am going to be following your opinion. I plan to keep using my Wilkie's, since they were still going strong when I parked them! But that danged @Grundi keeps reeling me in on these challenges that he and @Space_Cadet cooked up!

And I don't want to be the only one posting here!

Last edited:
Funny thing is that I used the old English-made Wilkinson Swords (circa 1960s) for 30+ years and always found them to be smooth, comfortable blades.

However, everything changed when I discovered B&B and began to try modern blades. I realized that the old English Wilkies might not have been as good as I thought. It's not a surprise that modern blades, aided by modern technology, have all sorts of advancements that (supposedly) increase comfort and efficiency

But, I'm still quite fond of the old English Wilkies. I'd probably be using them if they were still made.

As for the modern German Wilkies... Once I finish testing the Tatras and Tigers from the other PIF, I'll give them a try. I'm curious to see how they match up to the old English Wilkies. I wonder if they're anything like the old German Wilkies (the ones that date back to 1965 and have "eisgehärtet - rostfrei" printed on them). I had several tucks of those and thought that they were good blades, but nowhere near the quality of the English Wilkies.

While standing in front of the sink, preparing for today's shave, I decided to put the Tiger and Tatra blades on hiatus and use a modern German Wilkie for a few days...

First shave with Wilkinson Sword (German) blade #1

May 23
: Wrapped in a single wax paper wrapper. Large wax/adhesive blobs affix the blade to the wrapper. Hot water didn't melt the adhesive, so careful wiping with a piece of rare and precious toilet paper was needed to remove it.

A Gillette Slim Adjustable (J-4) on setting 7 was used for all passes. All were trouble-free. The WTG and XTG passes were particularly smooth and comfortable. The ATG pass required some care due to a feeling of acute sharpness at some points, but I didn't have to dial down the Slim. Moderate buffing needed on the ATG pass.

Overall, a fine shave with no post-shave irritation. Reminds me quite a bit of the old English-made Wilkinson Super-Sword-Edge blades that I used for decades.

One side note: I left the blade on its wrapper on the countertop to dry off; when I returned two hours later, there was discolouration on both blade surfaces. Checking it with a jeweller's loupe showed some light rust stains. Gently rubbing the stains with a towel removed them, except for spots where the blade surface is pitted or uneven. For example:

proxy.php

I've never seen rust on any of my blades before. I've got eleven other blades just sitting in their wrappers in my medicine cabinet and none have corroded, including an Astra SP that has seen 136 shaves since August 2019. Very odd!

Anyway, as long as the rust stays away from the edges, I think that I'm okay to keep shaving with it.

Top Bottom