What's new

Challenge PIF - Classic Wilkinsons Vs Modern Wilkinsons

Shave 14 - UK Wilkinson, 6th Use
UK Shave #7 with an R41, OneBlade Tuxedo Synth, CBL Tonsorial Roasted Oatmeal Stout & Nivea Sensitive PSB.

A 3-pass DFS shave in my problem areas, BBS elsewhere, smooth as silk.
Nothing went wrong, so nothing interesting to report.

Since I had to cut back to a 2-pass shave yesterday with the German WS in a Mk. II, I shortened this on to 2 passes as well to level the playing field. Today's shave was a bit smoother than yesterday's, but not quite as close. I'm not quite sure how much of that is the blade, and how much is the razor head. So tomorrow I'll reverse them and see.

So far, after 14 shaves, I give the German WS a slight advantage over the UK version. We'll see if that continues.

Edge 1, shave 1, English blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic), OSP Orange & Patchouli cream.

Coming late to the party, I can see which way the wind is blowing. For some weird reason I'm hoping things will be different for me and the English blades will do better than the Germans. This is stupid, because I can always get more of the Germans so I should really hope that the English blades are rubbish.

Immediately the blades are less smooth than the Germans. Not un-smooth, not enough to warrant complaint, just less smooth. They leave a little more after the first pass than I'd anticipate for the Germans, but after the second pass everything's dandy. Those Boots blades I referenced earlier in the thread seemed to improve with use, so I'm hoping the same will be true of these - I'm not ready to call this yet!

PURPOSE. The goal is to pick a winner! No ties allowed!!

This should be a classic match-up between two solid, heavy-weight contenders.

METHODS. No blinding. So this will be consistent with my daily shaves rather than the ’highest science’ or a ‘blind wine tasting.’ Top-tier hardware and software are designed to allow each blade to shine!

Prep. Hot shower, then CeraVe face wash.

Soap. MWF for blade one of each brand, then Haslinger schafmilch (‘tallow’) for blade two.

Brush. 2 or 3-band badger from my rotation.

After shave. Fine splash (’4 simple indgredients’) containing alcohol but no soothing ingredients.

Each shave will be judged using the ’10 point must system’ (my usual 10 point grading for daily shaves).

RESULTS.

German one

Shave #1: 9
Shave #2: 9.5
Shave #3: 9
Shave #4: 9
Shave #5: 9
Shave #6: 9.5
Shave #7: 8.5
average: 9.1

British one
Shave #1: 8.5
Shave #2: 9
Shave #5: 8.5
Shave#6: 9

METHODS. No blinding. So this will be consistent with my daily shaves rather than the ’highest science’ or a ‘blind wine tasting.’ Top-tier hardware and software are designed to allow each blade to shine!

Soap. MWF for blade one of each brand, then Haslinger schafmilch (‘tallow’) for blade two.

After shave. Fine splash (’4 simple indgredients’) containing alcohol but no soothing ingredients.

Each shave will be judged using the ’10 point must system’ (my usual 10 point grading for daily shaves).

RESULTS.

German one

British one
Shave#6: 9
Hmmm, interesting observation, there seems to be a slight up-tick with Shave#6 for both blades, like the blade is giving a little extra before burning out.

Hmmm, interesting observation, there seems to be a slight up-tick with Shave#6 for both blades, like the blade is giving a little extra before burning out.

+1! Yes indeed! However, I still need to see how the second one of each option performs! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Shave #3 with the German blade.
Same players,
Universal shavette
Tabac
444 Balm
H&V C&CC

This will be the last shave with this blade. I would not want to try another shave with it.

It has lost much of its smoothness and enough sharpness that a straight had to come save the shave.
Very disappointing for sure. I normally would get 6 shaves from this blade. That is, I would get 6 shaves from this 1/2 of the blade. Because I use a shavette I get to isolate and use 1 side at a time so normally I would get 12 shaves from a whole German Wilkinson. That's a great number IMO.
Maybe my whiskers have become more wirey at my age now but it was only a few years ago IIRC that I had used the German blades and gotten such performance.
I wish I had kept the other blade now so I could test it against itself. I will definitely try the German blades I still have for comparison though.

At first I wasn't sure whether to be disappointed with the blade or ecstatic about my honing!
My straights are sharper than either of these blades and just as smooth as the best one.

I actually find it difficult to grade in the 1-10 format. Once it starts to pull a bit or leaves stubble behind - its a fail, so really, it should be zero especially if you would not consider another shave.
I think anything at @8 would actually be a zero as you would not want to use it again

Overall for the German blade

Shave #1 - 10
Shave #2 - 9
Shave #3 - 7

Thanks again To Grundi for this opportunity. It was nice to re-visit my shavette but I miss using my straights:)

Shave 15 - German Wilkinson, 8th Use

German Shave #8 with an R41, AoS Bergamot & Neroli, Golden Shave/Semogue synthetic, & Nivea Sensitive PSB.

Today's shave indicated that the roughness I felt yesterday followed the razor. The shave with the R41 & German WS was smoother than it had been with that blade in the Mk. II. A 2-pass near-BBS shave with minimal irritation.

Shave #2 with the German-made Wilkinson Blade
(Thursday morning 4/23)

Decided to go back to the Grooming Department soap for this shave.

Razor: Razorock Gamechanger .84
Brush: PC Woodcraft 24mm Silvertip Badger
Pre Shave: Proraso white
Cream: Grooming Dept etereo - Kairos Tallow

2 days growth for this shave; showered before the shave.

Results: Not nearly as smooth as the first shave with this blade. Not too bad, until I got to my neck, and got nicked in 2 places. I could tell the blade was not as sharp as the first shave. A passable shave at the end, but still had some leftover roughness that I didn't want to risk going back over.

A side note, I should have probably stuck with the Proraso cream, as I don't think I have the lather technique down for the soap just yet. The lather is always nice and thick, but never as slick as I think it should be. I'm used to the creams, which take very little water, and I think some of these soaps require a lot more water. I'll switch back to the cream for the 3rd shave with this blade.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Oh my. The eloquence and verbosity that proceeds me is very intimidating, yet much appreciated. I being of simple mind and introverted stature will keep it sleek and simple.

3 shaves each.

Timeless .68
Proraso Green Soap
My rotation of 2 synthetic brushes that I won't bore you with.
Hot shower to prep...
3 passes every shave.

British- smooth from the start. DFS all 3 shaves. Really no progression or change from #1 shave to #3. Good but unremarkable.

German- I am sorry... that first was... How shall I say it... Oh yes... Crap. Tuggy out of the wrapper, 3 passes and I was left questioning my razor "did we just shave?" Not to be deterred I soldiered on. 2nd and 3rd were absolutely heavenly. I couldn't believe it was the same blade. BBS was achieved almost effortlessly and I will be going back for more.

End result 1st rotation determined by Chef455 gives the victory to German Wilkies.

Just a quick post to say I’m still here and evaluating. After declaring the German the narrow winner in the first round with three shaves each in my post-war Tech, I’m giving each blade one final chance to win me over this weekend. Saturday and Sunday shaves will be with my incoming GC .84, and it’s the last shot the Brit has to redeem itself. I doubt I’ll be buying either blade in bulk, though. So far I’m not really impressed.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Report for two shaves, on account of me being too lazy to post on my shave on Monday. Or was it Sunday? I'm retired and lazy.

Sunday I used the German Wilky in a NEW LC. The soap was one that @martym gave me about a hundred years ago. I really liked it. It's a puck, but I just scrubbed it on my stubble. The blade performance was it's best so far. I should have listened to @nemo and his advice long ago about Wilky blades and NEW Long Comb razors. I thought I had the perfect shave.

Until tonight: TONIGHT I used the same set-up, except it was with the ENGLISH Wilky. Thus far I haven't really felt a huge difference between the two types. But tonight! Wow! I rubbed the puck on my face and lathered up my stubbly but exceedingly handsome face up and used what is in my proud opinion the Pinnacle of Gillette engineering: the NEW LC that @Tanuki gave me. I am not lying (this time, lol) when I say that I had the best shave of my life. Most of it, of course, is because of my incredible shaving technique. I learned everything I know about shaving from @KeenDogg. True story.

Is anyone still reading this and want to know the name of the WONDERFUL soap that martym gave me? I think I took a picture:
15877005427112980733057361777541.jpg

Now I have a question: why didn't any of youse guys tell me that stuff is better than Arko?!? I'm serious, I took a shower after I shaved, washed my face, etc.... What I'm saying is that my face STILL feels like it has some kind of spa treatment oil soaking in to it! Wow.

And to think, none of you guys told me about this magic stuff! I wonder if anyone has ever mixed it with Arko? Hmmm...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Vintage UK over the German any day of the week for me.

why didn't any of youse guys tell me that stuff is better than Arko?!? I'm serious, I took a shower after I shaved, washed my face, etc.... What I'm saying is that my face STILL feels like it has some kind of spa treatment oil soaking in to it! Wow.

And to think, none of you guys told me about this magic stuff! I wonder if anyone has ever mixed it with Arko? Hmmm...

I likely did not directly tell you about Haslinger but I'm sure I've warned everyone about Arko. :whistling:

And don't pollute a Haslinger soap with another, it's so wonderful on its own.

Report for two shaves, on account of me being too lazy to post on my shave on Monday. Or was it Sunday? I'm retired and lazy.

Sunday I used the German Wilky in a NEW LC. The soap was one that @martym gave me about a hundred years ago. I really liked it. It's a puck, but I just scrubbed it on my stubble. The blade performance was it's best so far. I should have listened to @nemo and his advice long ago about Wilky blades and NEW Long Comb razors. I thought I had the perfect shave.

Until tonight: TONIGHT I used the same set-up, except it was with the ENGLISH Wilky. Thus far I haven't really felt a huge difference between the two types. But tonight! Wow! I rubbed the puck on my face and lathered up my stubbly but exceedingly handsome face up and used what is in my proud opinion the Pinnacle of Gillette engineering: the NEW LC that @Tanuki gave me. I am not lying (this time, lol) when I say that I had the best shave of my life. Most of it, of course, is because of my incredible shaving technique. I learned everything I know about shaving from @KeenDogg. True story.

Is anyone still reading this and want to know the name of the WONDERFUL soap that martym gave me? I think I took a picture:View attachment 1091125
Now I have a question: why didn't any of youse guys tell me that stuff is better than Arko?!? I'm serious, I took a shower after I shaved, washed my face, etc.... What I'm saying is that my face STILL feels like it has some kind of spa treatment oil soaking in to it! Wow.

+2! What took you so long!! Haslinger has been around since the mid 19 century: GREAT SOAPS!! :a29: :a29:

RESULTS.

German one

British one
Shave #6: 9
average: 8.8

Shave 16 - UK Wilkinson, 8th Use
UK Shave #8 with a Mk. II, Semogue 730HD, & Nivea Sensitive PSB.

Ouch. The UK WS appears to be a little harsher than the German. The Mk. II is a bit harsher than the R41. So loading the Mk. II with a UK WS on its 8th shave gave me a 2-pass DFS with irritation. I think it's time to retreat to a milder pair of razors, maybe SuperSpeeds or Fatboys, and to switch to the second edge of the blades.

Is anyone still reading this and want to know the name of the WONDERFUL soap that martym gave me? I think I took a picture:View attachment 1091125

Cute sheep. If anyone has the background, the chutzpah, and the stock of Arko to grab a stick, chase down a sheep puck, and give it the ‘Schaf’... Well, that person would be a ruggedly handsome gent with an excellent tan. @FarmerTan , this quest is yours! Don’t forget to take a Wilkie sword into the battle!

FarmerTan

Cute sheep. If anyone has the background, the chutzpah, and the stock of Arko to grab a stick, chase down a sheep puck, and give it the ‘Schaf’... Well, that person would be a ruggedly handsome gent with an excellent tan. @FarmerTan , this quest is yours! Don’t forget to take a Wilkie sword into the battle!
Brother, if you is throwing down the gauntlet, I is pickin' it up!

It'll be a bit of time though. My incredibly handsome face is still not in need of a shave. Honestly, still feels like I just finished shaving with most combos. That sheep soap is amazing. Honestly, if I had any Hai Karate around here, it would be UNSAFE for me to wear it! True story.

FarmerTan

Vintage UK over the German any day of the week for me.

I likely did not directly tell you about Haslinger but I'm sure I've warned everyone about Arko. :whistling:

And don't pollute a Haslinger soap with another, it's so wonderful on its own.
Pollute? Arko? I have it on good authority (I think I read it online somewhere) that in Missouri they use it in the Water Treatment Plants. Or maybe it was @Toothpick telling me that after he fell off his ride.....

Top Bottom