What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

Hope nobody minds if I jump into this discussion about TOBS. I've read many reviews, and one in particular convinced me I'd like a tub one day. However, after only 98 shaves, I don't think I have the ability to recognize all of its attributes.

My homeostasis is nine days of scentless soaps augmented with either a pre-shave or an aftershave followed by Cremo Shaving Lather. Given a low baseline by some people's standards, the distance between my baseline and Cremo Shaving Lather may be as great as a shaver with a higher baseline and TOBS. In other words, I may get the same pleasure.

There is a physiological way to express this. Serotonin is released as we progress through a long journey. It causes contentment. This is why I'm posting the days passed and the days remaining each day. Dopamine is released when we have a peak experience, and it causes pleasure. People get addicted when they attempt to have a peak experience every day. There are other hormones for negative emotions, but I don't know anything about them.

I saw that there is the Fix Four for March Madness getting going. A good opportunity to stick to four items in the den to help break any AD's, learn how to use a specific product, or to kill off a specific item. I'm on the fence about it.

#50 still in.

Almost have my first kill, a bottle of Nivea balm that I've had for awhile. Each time I use it I think it's the last but there is just always more in there. I have a full bottle in reserve I bought in 2017 in prep for the 2018 sabbatical. So all good.

Still in, and I'm doing the FFFMM. Going to be my RR GC in either .68 or .84, Fendrahan Synthetic brush, Derby tub or Wilkinson Sword stick, and either Asco or 7 O'clock Green SS blade.

Ooh! Ooh! Open comb Christopher Bradleys this afternoon. It's my exception, I might have to splurge on myself. Not sure if I will though, I'm kind of getting into the idea of DE shaving being a way to save money lmao.
:shaving:

I'm in for the FFFMM by default.........I mean I own other stuff but I'm certainly minimal. I think the fixed four should be fun.

As for Father's day, are we out if we get a gift? I'm not 100% sure if my wife will get me anything for shaving, but she did for Christmas and it certainly surprised me for sure.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Unsolicited gifts have always been fine in previous years, but if asked, it is best to say that you are trying to get through the year using what shave supplies you have and to suggest going out to dinner instead. num num

For those interested, the signup is filling up for the synthetic brush pass around: Synthetic Shaving Brush Pass Around
This might be something interesting for the curious during the sabbatical since a true sabbatical is also about discovery and growth.
I’ve joined passarounds for soaps and razors before, but never understood passaround brushes or even buying used brushes. I have no issues sterilizing a razor or washing the top of the soap, but I have no idea how to effectively clean a brush to the point I’d be willing to share with everyone.

Not to mention you can buy a synthetic for under $10 which is probably close to what you’d pay to ship a box to the next guy.

I’ve joined passarounds for soaps and razors before, but never understood passaround brushes or even buying used brushes. I have no issues sterilizing a razor or washing the top of the soap, but I have no idea how to effectively clean a brush to the point I’d be willing to share with everyone.

Not to mention you can buy a synthetic for under $10 which is probably close to what you’d pay to ship a box to the next guy.

But its not a brush. It's 15 brushes (might be more now). So you can spend $150.00 buying brushes(very few of them only cost $10.00, if any), or $8 and change IIRC. I can understand the germ thing, but wonder if you realize germs don't have to stay on the surface of soaps.

The box has a great variety...and I’d bet they are all cleaner than when they arrive from China. 95% of the brushes bought by people all come from the same place.
We’ve talked about it elsewhere. Gym towels. Workout bench. Lounge Chairs on the beach or resorts or pools. Public restrooms. Cloth napkins in restaurants.
I’m more confident in my cleaning ability than I am in the state of shared items in the above mentioned settings. Between camping, working a dig, yard work and being a kid, I’ve ingested more than my weight in dirt and nature. I’ve rubbed dirt on a scrape and eaten something that didn’t adhere to the 5-second rule. I’m okay with washing a brush. If I can’t get it to what I need, I’ll sell it or re-knot it. The brushes in the pass-around don’t have layers of old soap and gunk in them or in them, at least they didn’t when I used them. I cleaned the brushes and combed them out before letting them dry and sending them on their way too. That’s the expectation of each participant.
I can understand being weirded out by it. But I’ll tell you what, if I found my grandfather brush, I’d use it in a heart beat. Give it a whirl. Next time you open a bathroom door with your hands...use a public pen or pencil...eat with the metal utensil at your favorite place...get something at the drive-thru...ask yourself, where the line gets crossed and why.

Ooh! Ooh! Open comb Christopher Bradleys this afternoon. It's my exception, I might have to splurge on myself. Not sure if I will though, I'm kind of getting into the idea of DE shaving being a way to save money lmao.

I just went to the Karve site to check out the new open combs—lucky for me I couldn’t find them!

Only 365 - 53 days to go and you'll be safe. :)

upload_2019-2-22_17-19-40.png

Same, I like my Karve, but find myself reaching for other razors more. It would be nice, but very similar to the plates I have anyway.

I see Phoenix artisan released a new sandalwood soap and aftershave......I bet these two new products claim at least one here

Maybe you could reward yourself with some after successfully completing the FFFMM.

It looks like you like ARKO. How many grams are in each stick? How many shaves does a stick last? Is it hard like a puck, soft like a crème, or in between like Chapstick?

Top Bottom