What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

I am still in, and have signed up for the Four Fixed For March.
Razor: Gillette New SC
Blade: Rapira.
Soap: Geo F. Trumper Eucris
Brush: B&B Essential boar

Currently in the Soap of the Month Club for February, using up my Truefitt & Hill Rose.

If you are doing the FFFM set-up, why not come over to the Soap of the Month Club as well (Clubs and Brotherhoods sub-forum)?

While I am not joining the FFM challenge my shave is pretty fixed for the next 9-12 weeks or so.
Razor - ATT slant open comb
Blade - Bai super platinum (I am 3017 the pack and have 3 left they seem to last 3-4 weeks for me)
Soap - Vitos super coco. I originally thought this was a 1kg soap... turns out to only be a 1000 ml (by volume) with a weight in the 750 range so 3017 this soap wont be as impressive as a kg of Cella.
Brush - Simpson #56 but I might be tempted to cheat and use a RV brush here and there...

Ruckin

Currently in the Soap of the Month Club for February, using up my Truefitt & Hill Rose.

If you are doing the FFFM set-up, why not come over to the Soap of the Month Club as well (Clubs and Brotherhoods sub-forum)?

Very well then. I shall pop over after work.

Maybe you could reward yourself with some after successfully completing the FFFMM.

It looks like you like ARKO. How many grams are in each stick? How many shaves does a stick last? Is it hard like a puck, soft like a crème, or in between like Chapstick?

Well I might get the sandalwood soap and aftershave but it would have to be after the sabbatical.

I use the Arko tub I don’t use the stick, but my puck is over a few months old and it looks new. It’s a very hard puck. I’m not sure how many ounces are in the puck but it’s a great value at 4 bucks or less.

Well I might get the sandalwood soap and aftershave but it would have to be after the sabbatical.

I use the Arko tub I don’t use the stick, but my puck is over a few months old and it looks new. It’s a very hard puck. I’m not sure how many ounces are in the puck but it’s a great value at 4 bucks or less.

I haven't used ARKO, but the tub looks like it would be better for use once a week. I like Williams, also, and will use it once a week next year. (I'm putting together a list of seven less expensive soaps for next year.)

Great idea! I’ll end up joining both. I’ve got my razor, blade and brush figured out for the fixed four but am having a heck of a time deciding on the soap.

Great idea! I’ll end up joining both. I’ve got my razor, blade and brush figured out for the fixed four but am having a heck of a time deciding on the soap.
I’m in the same boat. I’m leaning towards Mike’s Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper but may do something from Turtleship or WhollyKaw instead.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I wonder what soap I will be using? Hmmmmm
upload_2019-2-23_16-27-5.png

Speaking of Homer,

D'oh! I'm out. I forgot to cancel my Harry's account and an 8-pack showed up today.
#26 is no longer a falconer.
th.jpeg.jpg

February 23rd Operative No. 22. Heron – Exception Shave soap, (out – Harry’s mail order razor)

The thin man in a dressing gown leaned closer to the mirror, using a straight razor, scissors and a comb he carefully trimmed his pencil mustache. Stepping back he admired his work. His hand drifted to his pocket, taking out a small gold and silver gadget. He began playing with it subconsciously, moving the parts back-and-forth. He took his time getting ready, a rather fastidious man, it took him an hour before he was satisfied. The phone rang with a shrill sound, he reached over and picked up the receiver “Hello” “Good morning, is that you Toggle?” “Yes, and I told you not to call me that. That object/puzzle gadget was a gift from my late wife.” “Yes, yes sorry about that. On the matter for which I am calling; I have a job for you. One of Sam Spade’s operatives, a Mr. Heron has managed to arrange a meeting, which it is imperative he not keep. If you get my meaning.” “Yes, that sound like something I can deal with. What are the details? You know, routes, time and so on.” Toggle listened, reached over for a pad and began making notes with a fountain pen. After he had hung up, he sat down and studied the notes he had made, formulating a plan of action. Finally, with a smile he rose from the chair put on his topcoat, and grabbed his homburg and long umbrella.

Effie stood and waited until Sam finished his phone call. He smiled at her “That was Operative Heron. He overheard some interesting news. There is a crewman from a freighter who claims to have seen the Maltese Falcon razor. He has agreed to meet with him, and provide the names of the people involved, for some cash of course.” “That is great news Sam, and we could use some after all of the losses we have taken this month.”

Operative Heron looked up at the darkening sky with a wry expression. As the first rain drops began to fall, he turned up the collar of his trench-coat, and pulled his hat down firmly. He made his way down to the subway platform, this time of morning it was quite crowded. He made way to the platform edge as the train approached, not noticing the well-dressed thin man who came up behind him. Toggle reversed the umbrella in his hand, and as the train approached he stepped up closer to Operative Heron. Toggle moved the umbrella to trip Operative Heron; who with his next step had his foot came down on a Harry’s mail-order catalog dropped by a passerby. As his foot slipped on the slick material Operative Heron gave a cry as he fell backwards into Toggle; who also lost his footing. Both men then tumbled onto the tracks. There was a loud screech of brakes and cries of horror from the crowd as the train plowed into the two forms on the tracks.

The small man was listening on the phone, he thanked the other party and then turned to his companion. “That was one of our spies, he says the while Mr. Heron was stopped from meeting the crewman; we also lost The Toggle. It appears that through some twist of fate both were killed by the subway train.” Kasper Gutman nodded his large head “Most unfortunate indeed. He was a very able associate, we shall miss him.”

Sam Spades Team of Operatives

1. Pepin - vintage grail razor***2018***
2. rockviper - No exception***2018***

3. johnwick - One Timeless baseplate swap
4. Ruckin–No exception***2018***
5. mikelz777 - No exception***2018***

6. Laird - Cap & Chris restoration & replate New Improved Tuckaway
7. Shave_Rat - New scuttle***2018***
8. meanpr - No exception
9. Tony D- 1x shave soap
10 Kevdogg329 - Aftershave ***2018***
11. Vespasian- No exception
12. barko78 - witch hazel
13. KQY61 - No Exception ***2018***
14. martym - No exception ***2018***

15. VerbaVolant - one stainless razor.
16. Galaktus - No exception
17. Keen Edge - Blades
18. SAMB08 - Aftershave splash
20. Howler - No Exception
21. emwolf - No exceptions
23 GaryTha - No exceptions
22. JohnYaddy - OneBlade Razor ***2018***
24. AlphaFrank75 – Balm ***2018***

25. bobmsp - Grooming Dept. Pre-shave
27. ‘Bout Time - Tallow & Steel Limited Release
28. T.Orso - Unicorn hair shave brush (60% mane, 40% tail)***2018***
29. Ryanshh - 1 lapping film restock
30. Jamesearthdrum - Spool of PLA filament ***2018***
31. pbrmhl - Charcoal Goods razor
32. SpannerX - No exception
33. krow - No exceptions ***2018***
34. Zed117- Karve OC (Aluminium or Brass)
35. deafficianado - No exception
38. Joncr- No exception
39. Nick Weepers - Mike’s Bay Rum
41. Andromeda673 - No Exception
42. Mtnredhed - No exception***2018***
43. Sotiris_A - No Exception
45. gsurko- No exceptions
46. TreadwayJohnA - No Exceptions
47. Music - Stirling post-shave balm.
48. byDoms - No Exception ***2018***
49. Jim99 - Schick injector blades
50. ShavingPanda - Tabac aftershave
51. karhu - no exception
52. Spookmeister - Christopher Bradley razor
53. Ajwien - no exception
54. jamiecm - no exception
55. AZBronco - Tuxedo knot brush***2018***
56. Sabin -no exception
57. MuhleShaver - no exceptions ***2018***
58. CzechCzar - Muhle Rocca
59. Whisky- RazoRock SLOC
60. jldallas - Vintage DE razor
61. Macsen - Thayers Witch Hazel
62. Noodles - Post-shave balm
64. KW Driver- Trac II blades
65. Rev579 - One Vintage Grail Razor
66. Boar Fighter - No exception.
67. Brian C. - No exception
68. Invicta - No exception
69. Tokyospike - Menthol crystals
70. Dundak - No exception
71. Treebeard - No exception
72. Heckle - mustache wax
73. FoxInfinitySunset - Synthetic brush***2018***
74. Shaved Fish - No exception
75. bjm - no exception
77. _Stormin_ - No Exception***2018***
78. Neffarious– pre-shave.
79. 5Cantonas - Badger brush***2018***
80. Sgemmett- no exception
81. MarsEnglish - no exception
83. Luecke2326 - one straight razor
86. psfred- Nickel plating supplies***2018***

88. mishkaya- No exception.
89. Kcmodan - 1 zenith horse hair brush.
90. esetter – Variant razor ***2018***
91. Aziraphale - Hallows Soap and AS gift set
93. PhilC - No exception
94. CJB3 - New RR Game Changer release
95. tsimmns - OneBlade V1 with a GEM
96. StuartT - No exception
97.Thomas Darkblade - No exception***2018***
98. dg33 – Shave brush ***2018***

99. Rico Suave - blades
100. Boghopper – Blades
101. Midoio – No exception
102. Kluber – Tabac soap

The Opposition: Kasper Gutman Joel Cairo & their Henchmen

1. January 9th Operative No. 103 Bakker1964 - exception Karve OC razor - (OUT - Proraso pre-shave cream)
2. January 13th Operative No. 19 Azwetshaver - exception - strop, (OUT - brush)
3. January 25th, Operative Ruva #36: exception – Witch Hazel. (OUT – Barbersol 100th Anniversary can)
4. February 2nd Operative No. 82 Haggises - Exception: Schick repeater. (Out - David Beckahm Instinct Aftershave)
5. February 4th Operative No. 76 Saxtont47 - Exception witch hazel. (Out - Simpson`s Duke 3 brush)
6. February 4th Operative No. 87 bdehne – No exception. (Out – Volga razor)
7. February 7th Operative No. 92. Mtn.Man – No exception. (Out – shiny BST buy)
8. February 9th Operative No. 44. Slipknot – No exception. (Out – Captains Choice & CRSW shave soap)
9. February 9th Operative No. 63 Clay S - Birth year/quarter razor (out – vintage Avon aftershave bottle for Pinaud Clubman Musk)
10. February 10th Operative No. 84 Hannah’s Dad - British #15 tune-up (out – FatBoy)
11. February 13th Operative No. 85 Sharp’s- Char Gds – (out – Grand Shave King razor)
12. February 13th Operative No. 37 Somnos - Full version: Shaving Buddy app.
(out - mint Aristocrat #66 set + NOS made in England travelling set)
13. February 17th Operative No. 40. Yminoh - No exception. (out – Charcoal Goods razor)
14. February 23rd Operative No. 26 Heron - Exception shave soap. (OUT - Harry's mail order razor)

So . . .

Two months in and we're already 14 members out.
Ten months to go (if we lose no more in February).
At this rate we'll be down 70 more by year's end.

So . . .

Two months in and we're already 14 members out.
Ten months to go (if we lose no more in February).
At this rate we'll be down 70 more by year's end.

It's worse than you think. About 12 people have probably gone AWOL. That number will be published in the beginning of April. I suspect we will lose about 10 more before the end of March. That will make 36 effectively lost by the end of March. After careful analysis with the help of my expensive statistics team, I predict 72 will leave by the end of the year. (Predicting is easy; being right is harder.)

It's worse than you think. About 12 people have probably gone AWOL. That number will be published in the beginning of April. I suspect we will lose about 10 more before the end of March. That will make 36 effectively lost by the end of March. After careful analysis with the help of my expensive statistics team, I predict 72 will leave by the end of the year. (Predicting is easy; being right is harder.)

While there were fewer entrants last year, I believe a respectable number finished. I can’t remember how many without looking at the old thread again.

Just looked. 34 of 78 made it last year.

I predict 72 will leave by the end of the year. (Predicting is easy; being right is harder.)
I predict at least 14, if not greatly more . . .

Easy being right, being relevant and right OTOH. :)

Could the AWOL just be avoiding B&B to help them avoid temptation?

Top Bottom