What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

After careful analysis with the help of my expensive statistics team, I predict 72 will leave by the end of the year. (Predicting is easy; being right is harder.)
Your expensive statistical team only came up with a difference of 2 from my basic observation? I'm much cheaper than they are and the accuracy difference and cost differential may be enough to purchase several more razors and soaps . . . (were it not for the sabbatical of course) :)

I predict at least 14, if not greatly more . . .

Easy being right, being relevant and right OTOH. :)

Could the AWOL just be avoiding B&B to help them avoid temptation?

No. Lost deeply in the rules is a requirement to check in each quarter. Those who don't get repeated IM's to see if they are still playing. The AWOL people wandered off because they had other interests.

For example, I had the Excalibur Club in my signature. There is no formal joining for that group. The other day, I deleted it because it wasn't much fun for me.

No. Lost deeply in the rules is a requirement to check in each quarter. Those who don't get repeated IM's to see if they are still playing. The AWOL people wandered off because they had other interests.

For example, I had the Excalibur Club in my signature. There is no formal joining for that group. The other day, I deleted it because it wasn't much fun for me.

Are you basing the 12 off of past results, or because of they haven't posted? Hasn't been a quarter for anyone to be AWOL, so I was assuming the latter, Which is why I proposed that they might just be avoiding temptation.

Your expensive statistical team only came up with a difference of 2 from my basic observation? I'm much cheaper than they are and the accuracy difference and cost differential may be enough to purchase several more razors and soaps . . . (were it not for the sabbatical of course) :)

I picked 72 because it's a significant number that reveals the nature of THE Maltese Falcon.

The straight line model shows we will lose about 91.
upload_2019-2-23_19-37-1.png

Are you basing the 12 off of past results, or because of they haven't posted? Hasn't been a quarter for anyone to be AWOL, so I was assuming the latter, Which is why I proposed that they might just be avoiding temptation.

Off of past results. I'm sure many are avoiding temptation in addition to those who are AWOL.

I try to respond to something on this thread at least once or twice a week. I think a good strong support system is the key to get through the sabbatical.

To those that were asking about the Arko it’s 90 grams in the tub. I don’t know how much you get in the stick.

Still in...Attempted to 3017 a puck of MWI. Did 2 weeks worth of damage but I got bored and switch back to rotating soaps/creams. My objective is to enjoy the stuff I have...not punish myself in the process.
Stay strong gentlemen!

I try to respond to something on this thread at least once or twice a week. I think a good strong support system is the key to get through the sabbatical.

To those that were asking about the Arko it’s 90 grams in the tub. I don’t know how much you get in the stick.

Thanks. I found the sticks are usually 75 grams, but some are 70.

Still in...Attempted to 3017 a puck of MWI. Did 2 weeks worth of damage but I got bored and switch back to rotating soaps/creams. My objective is to enjoy the stuff I have...not punish myself in the process.
Stay strong gentlemen!

I did much the same thing with Barbasol. Now, I do 10 day rotations including four soaps and randomly change the order each rotation.

I find the change to come from the aftershave I can and will use the same soap for like a month straight.

It’s always cool to get a soap dialed in

I do some of the same thing. Here is the current rotation.

upload_2019-2-23_20-44-29.png

Except for the Cremo, the other soaps don't have much scent. I alternate days of using Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap for a prewash or Mennen Skin Bracer for an aftershave. The Dr. Bronner's makes a soap smell and feel like strong menthol. I may add a scentless day into the rotation.

Every rotation, I change the type of blade. Either Astra SP or Gillette Wilkinson Sword. I can't tell the difference in the shaves.

I divide the 10-day cycle into two 5-day cycles, sort of like hump day for a week.

According to my calculations, I have 323 shaves left in these soaps and 310 days left in the year. Keeping it close adds to the excitement. I can always transition from 3-pass shaves to 2-pass shaves if I see I won't make it. I only have 23 more shaves (about 100 days) left with Barbasol. Then, I'll likely transition to an 8-day cycle or even 7 days.

I do have three pucks of Williams in reserve.

I thought about 3017ing a puck of Cade. After three weeks I barely made a dent. I think just the Cade and PdP No. 63 I have would last me a year.

I am also doing the FFFMM (it will be my second year). I have decided on:

Razor
: Gillette Black Handle Super Adjustable
Blade: Gillette Nacet (or Astra SP or Dorco Prime....Still figuring this out)
Soap: WSP Mahogony (because 3017)
Brush: WCS Silvertip Badger (I think)

I tried out my adjustable for the first time today on 7. I liked it...but feel like there could be a better match. Looking forward to playing with it going forward.

I will also check out the soap of the month club.

#29 Still in.

I've been 3017ing a partial stick of Arko since Nov 24. It was maybe 75 or 80 percent intact. Still got a few weeks of it to go, at least two.

I've been 3017ing a partial stick of Arko since Nov 24. It was maybe 75 or 80 percent intact. Still got a few weeks of it to go, at least two.

Burning up the Arko! It’s great stuff

I've been watching some of the ARKO threads. ARKO has loyal followers and for good reasons. I also follow some Williams Mug Soap threads. Recently, I've been thinking of trading some Williams for Arko, but I've decided not to do any trades unless absolutely necessary to complete the year. I did have one of those trades this year.

There will be room for one tub of ARKO in my resupply list at the beginning of next year.

By the way, I'm also a Gillette Foamy fan.

Top Bottom