What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

2 razors and a stand left my den yesterday. Somehow I feel much better now.

Also, for some reason I can’t post or reply from the Tapatalk app.

2 razors and a stand left my den yesterday. Somehow I feel much better now.

Also, for some reason I can’t post or reply from the Tapatalk app.

I have had the same problem the last couple days. Moderators confirmed it was Tapatalks fault. I reached out to Tapatalk and they said they were able to recreate the issue and were forwarding on to their tech team. You might want to contact them through the app as well with a screenshot. Strangely, you’re the first guy I’ve seen mention having the problem besides me. But then again, I haven’t posted publicly about it yet.

Had a great shave last night with my Game Changer .84, Gillette Spoiler, Paladin Beehive 26mm & Mammoth Hygge soap & AS!

I’ve completed a couple of trades & PIFs. I don’t currently have any urges. A brush scuttle would be nice but that’s a distant want more than an immediate “need”. The chances of my exception becoming available are slim to none so perhaps it was wasted? Contemplating doing the Fixed Four for March but haven’t decided yet.

#39 Still in! :boat:

no urges at all not interested in anything else, hopefully I have enough product to make it through the year, I think we will be ok! My puck of Arko is starting to show some signs of wear but really not much of any. I'm just chugging along here.

#41 one day at a time

My second ten-day randomized mission starts tomorrow. Before I "leave" I get a new blade and a special shave with Cremo Lathering soap. For the next 9 days, there is something to look forward to.

upload_2019-2-20_8-24-57.png

Shaved with the DG/CL La Forêt de Liguest today. Don't know if I will 3017 that one, but I had a pretty great shave despite the rushed 2 1/2 passes.

Today was shave 129 on Maggard Razor Tobacco and Leather. It was also the final shave for this tub. I have 59 unopened soaps and will finalize my pick for the next 3017 project tomorrow but I am leaning toward my 1kg block of Vitos.

Ruckin.

I usually get bored of a soap and pif it, or if it's a few years old and lacking scent: replace it. I've had as many as 30 at a time, to as few as 1.

All the soaps I have are a year, to a few months old. It does not look like I have made a dent, realizing that 8 soaps is still too many for a year.

The Slim is one of my favorite razors--in fact, had I not tried so many different razors it would be the top of my list. As it stands, the Mamba 70 is my favorite, followed by the Above the Tie SE1 (aluminum single edge). The Slim is a solid third place for me--and it's sentimental because the only other owner of that razor was my father-in-law. I also have a fatboy that was a single owner before I received it. $13 for a Slim is an awesome deal if it's in good shape.

The Slim is one of my favorite razors--in fact, had I not tried so many different razors it would be the top of my list. As it stands, the Mamba 70 is my favorite, followed by the Above the Tie SE1 (aluminum single edge). The Slim is a solid third place for me--and it's sentimental because the only other owner of that razor was my father-in-law. I also have a fatboy that was a single owner before I received it. $13 for a Slim is an awesome deal if it's in good shape.
It was in good shape. Planning on PIF'ing my Slim next week though. Prefer my New LC and Gem 1912.

I have a Gem 1912 that I used for SE September. After a couple of weeks I was getting excellent results with it.
Yeah, you have to shave at a much different angle than a DE. At least from perceived head orientation. Takes a minute to get used to. But they are nice shavers once you get used to them.

Just finished my first soap during this sabbatical, B&M Spice. I really enjoyed using it!

Have fun everyone and enjoy your shaves!

#43 still in

Julian date: 52
Days remaining 313
10-Day Mission (2)
Day 1 - Complete

During the past few days, GaryTha discovered the secret location of The Maltese Falcon Razor. He has more brains than brawn, so he planned a clever way to sculpt this coveted prize.

Like an ultra-light backpacker, he stripped away all non-essential gear and put it into storage. What’s left?

· 1 Van der Hagen Razor
· 1 Cremo Spanish horsehair brush
· 16 Gillette Wilkinson Sword Blades
· 16 Astra SP blades.

· Three pucks of Williams Mug soap minus a few shaves
· 74 grams of Barbasol foam good for about 24 shaves.
· 308 grams of Gillette foamy good for about 100 shaves
· Cremo Lathering Shave crème with about 32 shaves left

· 1 almost full bottle of Mennen Skin Bracer
· 975 grams Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Soap

He decided on ten-day missions because he can guarantee ten good shaves from each blade. He starts each mission with a new blade – alternating Wilkinson Swords with Astra SPs.

GaryTha decided on a unique approach to scents. The first day of each mission, he uses Cremo Shaving Lather. Its scent is like a wood shop where only real wood is cut. On days two through ten, GaryTha uses almost scentless soaps. On half the days, he pre-washes his wet face with a drop or two of Dr. Bronner’s on wet hands. On half the days he uses Mennen Skin Bracer aftershave.

Each mission is randomized, so every mission is different.

upload_2019-2-21_3-48-5.png

#23 still in

Top Bottom