What's new

Gillette Pure Shave Cream

I found some at local grocery store. It was on sale for $5 so I figured I'd try it.

I'll provide a contrasting review since I did not like it.

It lathers up fine (I used a soft synthetic brush in a lathering bowl) but it's a very light foam.
It reminds me of the old Colgate foam in a can which I used to use years ago.
And, like the old foam it tends to dry out and get sticky on the face. There does not seem to be any real residual slickness. Adding water to a previously shaved area did not bring up any slickness...
The soap didn't really inspire confidence so I didn't shave as close today.
I used a post-war Tech with Astra SP blade.

There is a slight cooling effect which I think is from the Peppermint oil.

Overall there are plenty of soaps I'd rather use than this one.
Derby cream is cheaper ($3 a tube usually) and performs better.
I went through half a tube of the Normal scent Derby a few months ago.

Thank you for an honest opposing review! One of the things that is so great about this "hobby" is that we all have different needs and preferences and fortunately there are a ton of products available for all to try. I tried the fine soap puck over several weeks and hated it, just could not get it to lather nice for me... That is one of the B&B favorite modern soaps with many fans, just not me. Thanks for trying anyway and letting us know!

It sounds like Pure might be another Proraso; loved by many but too dry for many others. I guess it depends on your skin and hair. For me, DE shaving requires something of rather good quality. Borderline stuff like Proraso isn't enough protection.

I may still try Pure, but I already have a lot that works great.

It sounds like Pure might be another Proraso; loved by many but too dry for many others. I guess it depends on your skin and hair. For me, DE shaving requires something of rather good quality. Borderline stuff like Proraso isn't enough protection.

I may still try Pure, but I already have a lot that works great.

Very appropriate analogy! I'm one who likes proraso and find similar shave with the pure. I don't expect people to want to sell their software when they try this cream, but I think many people will like it.

Also... Gillette is advocating using a brush with one of the their US products again. At minimum, THAT is cool.

As promised, some quick palm lather pics:

IMG_20190123_135758231.jpg
IMG_20190123_135728327.jpg

After reading this post, I found Gillette Pure at my Local Super Stop and Shop
in NJ. It was on sale for $4.99, so I picked up and tube and shaved with it this morning.
I could feel a little menthol/mint. It did a nice job once I got the amount of water needed balanced out.
I felt like it went on a little dry/thick and then loosened it up by adding a few drops of water to the brush and continued to lather (face lather). Overall a decent cream.

Yesterday when I was at Target, I saw they had Pure in the can but not in the tube.

I've never been a gel guy (I do like some foams) but I want to try it just out of curiosity in relation to the cream. I will say, regardless of opinion on performance I've always found gels to be a gigantic rip off... You never get everything out of them. My barbasol cans just never seem to end.

I've never been a gel guy (I do like some foams) but I want to try it just out of curiosity in relation to the cream. I will say, regardless of opinion on performance I've always found gels to be a gigantic rip off... You never get everything out of them. My barbasol cans just never seem to end.
I always find with gel that I use waaaay more product than I really need because when you later gel, it explodes into way more than you would think. With foam, you get what you get right out of the can. I mostly prefer foam over gel because of the cost. Foam costs about half as much.

I wonder if this will expand to other markets outside the USA. Looks to be a pretty decent product for something made by Gillette and sold at grocery stores.
Also nice find about the similarities to the Indian cream.

I wonder if this will expand to other markets outside the USA. Looks to be a pretty decent product for something made by Gillette and sold at grocery stores.
Also nice find about the similarities to the Indian cream.

Thanks! I wouldn't be surprised if Gillette keeps this product in their North American and maybe European portfolios exclusively. For markets like India and Asia for example, they already have a lower cost brush cream.

I found and bought 2 more tubes of Pure over the weekend for a pass around. If you want to try this and can't find it, please let me know and I'll mail you one of the tubes free of charge. First 2 replies gets it and please pass it along once you are done.

If anybody spots this on the shelves...the tubes aren't sealed so you can sneak a little trial squirt & sniff. To me the scent is a dead ringer for proraso blue...probably because of the aloe.

I found and bought 2 more tubes of Pure over the weekend for a pass around. If you want to try this and can't find it, please let me know and I'll mail you one of the tubes free of charge. First 2 replies gets it and please pass it along once you are done.

Very generous! I've got a tube and can get it locally so I'm out, but I just wanted to thank you since I've been so active on this thread.

If anybody spots this on the shelves...the tubes aren't sealed so you can sneak a little trial squirt & sniff. To me the scent is a dead ringer for proraso blue...probably because of the aloe.

It's been a long time since I've used proraso blue so I can't recall but interesting find! While I don't call it a ''complex" scent I do find a note I can't quite put my finger on, and I like it.

I picked up a tube and can of this stuff on Sunday. The canned gel isnt exactly cheap for a gel but I wanted to support Gillette coming out with products like this and its not as if $5 is going to break the bank.

I picked up a tube and can of this stuff on Sunday. The canned gel isnt exactly cheap for a gel but I wanted to support Gillette coming out with products like this and its not as if $5 is going to break the bank.

Ive got a decent amount of experience with the tube cream now, how does the gel compare in your opinion?

Top Bottom