What's new

Is O Melhor shaving cream gone?

I started looking for the Portuguese shaving cream O Melhor and it appears to have disappeared. It's a great shaving cream - great scent and performance. Does anyone know if the products have been discontinued ?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have no official info on that regards, but it's quite some time I have not seen it around or discussed on the forums.

I started looking for the Portuguese shaving cream O Melhor and it appears to have disappeared. It's a great shaving cream - great scent and performance. Does anyone know if the products have been discontinued ?

The company “Saboaria e Perfumaria Confiança” (short “Confiança”) that was founded in 1894 und that made O Melhor was taken over by Ach. Brito in 2008. (All that money from overpriced “Musgo Real” had to go somewhere, didn’t it? :001_cool:) Both companies are or were based in the north of Portugal, Ach. Brito near Porto, Confiança in Braga.

I recall seeing a few Confiança O Melhor products as recently as last year in a perfumery in Porto (Perfumaria Capitólio, R. de Santa Catarina 458, 4000-124 Porto), but that is about it. Otherwise, O Melhor seems to have disappeared even from store shelves in Portugal, where is was produced.

BTW, the original 1894 factory buildings in Braga that were already abandoned before the Ach Brito takeover are now repurposed by the city council as Universidade do Minho (University of the Minho) student accommodations.

1702489696274-jpeg.1763485

B.

Attachments

• 1702489696274.jpeg
    1702489696274.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 570
I bought the O Melhor shaving soap this week in Braga, at Yntenso Perfumery, at Rua do Souto.
Don’t know if they have the cream or if they have on-line offers.

I am having a bit of trouble on whipping up the lather, or better, on keeping it built during the shave. Any tips welcomed.

I bought the O Melhor shaving soap this week in Braga, at Yntenso Perfumery, at Rua do Souto.
Don’t know if they have the cream or if they have on-line offers.

I am having a bit of trouble on whipping up the lather, or better, on keeping it built during the shave. Any tips welcomed.

Hello António,

did you really mean (hard) shaving “soap”?
Never came across an O Melhor hard shaving soap, only the shaving cream and even that was not overly impressive, just - let’s say - “adequate”.
I liked Confiança for what it was, a decent, more than 125 years old traditional Portuguese brand from the north of the country, but O Melhor was never a product that would make it into my “Top 10”.

Would you mind posting a picture?

Boas festas…

B.

Last edited:
Brutus, on second look I think I was wrong. In fact, the soap I bought was the Confiança exfollianting soap :)
No wonder it took fornece to load the brush and that the lather would not last.
It is very slick and sometimes I use it now as a pre-shave.
All the best
António
Bom Ano Novo

Attachments

• D9502221-83B6-439D-A967-E782C7F46B23.jpeg
    D9502221-83B6-439D-A967-E782C7F46B23.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 2
Brutus, on second look I think I was wrong. In fact, the soap I bought was the Confiança exfollianting soap :)
No wonder it took fornece to load the brush and that the lather would not last.
It is very slick and sometimes I use it now as a pre-shave.
All the best
António
Bom Ano Novo

Ah, that explains it…

B.

Top Bottom