What's new

Gillette Pure Shave Cream

My wife has been using it the last few weeks, since she likes creams and carts.

I have tried it a few times, smells clean, but new. Not an overbearing cheap clean either, it's different.

Very slick and soothing. Felt very protected and it was maybe a step above my Proraso cream. I am usually a soap guy, but this stuff rocks.
20190120_152637.jpg

My wife has been using it the last few weeks, since she likes creams and carts.

I have tried it a few times, smells clean, but new. Not an overbearing cheap clean either, it's different.

Very slick and soothing. Felt very protected and it was maybe a step above my Proraso cream. I am usually a soap guy, but this stuff rocks.
View attachment 945614

That's what I'm talking about! Brush or hand? And, in relation to that, are you typically a brush or hand guy with other products? I assume brush since you mentioned being a soap guy.

Awesome, thanks! As soon as I find some locally it will be getting a face lather with my RR bruce synth.

Let me know when you do. It says it has menthol and peppermint oil, but I couldn't feel it even cold water shaving. I'm use to medium menthol like Stirling.

Regardless, I really like it. Was quick to lather, slick and made nice peaks. Its a bit liquidy, but a little amount was plenty forba comfortable 3 pass. My hyvee and Wal-Mart have it.

Let me know when you do. It says it has menthol and peppermint oil, but I couldn't feel it even cold water shaving. I'm use to medium menthol like Stirling.

Regardless, I really like it. Was quick to lather, slick and made nice peaks. Its a bit liquidy, but a little amount was plenty forba comfortable 3 pass. My hyvee and Wal-Mart have it.

I use osage run everyday, even in the winter, so I too have high standards of cold. I'm surprised it's tame because their series 3 sensitive cooling gel has a decent punch, maybe they were trying to play into the "pure" thing by not making it have too much of anything. My local Walmart has it in stock as of today per their website so I'll stop tomorrow after work.

Yay, I finally found a tube locally!
(Preface: no, I don't work for Gillette. Wish I did.)
My quick review: At this price point, with regular local availability, the ingredient list, and it's performance both with and without a brush... I just found my new daily cream.

My longer review: The scent is subtle and masculine, similar to the 'nivea' scent except much less pronounced. Whipping it up with a brush does increase the scent a bit. When used with your hands only it responds very similar to cremo in terms of slickness and skin protection, except it rinses from both your skin and razor effortlessly (cremo never does for me) and actually has cushion (cremo does not). When lathered with a brush you are quickly and easily rewarded with thick, fluffy, slick, dense lather. I was honestly blown away by both the ease and volume of lather, and I've been using proraso, arko, and la toja for the last few weeks so I'm no stranger to insane amounts and quality of lather. It's also versatile in the sense that it can handle a lot or a little water and still perform, this would be great for newbie brush lather users. I honestly give this a 9 out of 10. If it was either unscented or a bit more powdery and neutral of a scent it would be 10/10 for me, not to say it smells 'bad' or that I dislike it however. It compliments the Irish spring aloe or coast original bar soap I usually use to wash with and also adds a subtle complexity to the Osage rub I use everyday as aftershave. Between the fact that many people on here protest anything with the Gillette name found in a big box store, as well as some people not liking their recent marketing strategies, I think many wet shavers will immediately dismiss this product and it's honestly a shame because it works great, is cheap, and easy to get. Well... More for me I guess haha.

Is anyone familiar with this product, Gillette's 'regular' shave cream tube from India:
Gillette Regular Shaving Cream | Gillette India
Gillette-Regular-Shaving-Cream-Tube.jpg

If anyone else has used this before, I swear it's the same base product. The scent, the look/feel of the cream itself, and it's lather ability are literally exactly the same. The only differences I found are the pure cream has a little bit more of a fragrance, a little bit more slickness, and a slightly different ingredient list simply due to the extras in the pure cream (menthol, peppermint, aloe).

Here is the ingredient list from the Indian cream:
Water, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Trienthanolamine, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydroxypropyl, Methylcellulose, Limonene, Sodium Silicate, Coumarin, Linalool, Benzyl Alcohol, Eugenol, Citronellol, Citral, Methylisothiazolinone.

And the ingredient list for the new pure cream:
Water, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Coconut Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Triethanolamine, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Menthol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil

So: The first several ingredients are exactly the same. After that, simply replace the EO's found in the Indian cream with menthol, aloe, and peppermint oil, then remove the alcohol and the silicone... And you have the same stuff. Same. Exact. Stuff.

Put your scruples aside, shelf that $30 artisan soap puck for a week, and treat yourself to a cheap good shave with this stuff. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
Nice write up, I take it you couldn't feel the menthol either? The aloe is a nice suprise. This will be a mainstay in my den.

Nice write up, I take it you couldn't feel the menthol either? The aloe is a nice suprise. This will be a mainstay in my den.

Thanks! I agree that the menthol isn't strong but I didn't find that to be terrible. I'm used to either a ton of menthol or none so this "menthol light" experience was pleasant. I shave with cold water (even in the winter) so while I didn't feel the typical "menthol chill" on my skin during use, I did find my rinsing in between passes felt colder then if I were using say arko or la toja. I also found that even though it wasn't "cold" it did provide all the benefits of menthol in raising hairs and taming skin.

I use osage run everyday, even in the winter, so I too have high standards of cold. I'm surprised it's tame because their series 3 sensitive cooling gel has a decent punch, maybe they were trying to play into the "pure" thing by not making it have too much of anything. My local Walmart has it in stock as of today per their website so I'll stop tomorrow after work.
I couldn't feel any menthol to speak of either.

I couldn't feel any menthol to speak of either.

It's very very subtle, I can compare it to proraso white soap. Besides reading it on the label, you wouldn't know there is menthol until your final cold rinse. I find it's more of a post shave effect, as I speak I'm feeling more longevity from my Osage Rub then usual but still could barely detect any during the shave.

Decided to take a picture of the lather, because why not? Very thick and protective. Had plenty left over after the shave.
20190121_153223.jpg

20190121_151545.jpg

I usually face lather so maybe I'll palm lather and take a pic of the brush tomorrow. The lather I got felt like a wet arko, drooping peaks and tons of slickness. It was great.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I saw this last night at my neighborhood Walmart food market and picked up a tube. I will be trying this later in the week when I shave. Thanks for the review above. It was what helped make my final decision to buy a tube.

R/
Dave

I found some at local grocery store. It was on sale for $5 so I figured I'd try it.

I'll provide a contrasting review since I did not like it.

It lathers up fine (I used a soft synthetic brush in a lathering bowl) but it's a very light foam.
It reminds me of the old Colgate foam in a can which I used to use years ago.
And, like the old foam it tends to dry out and get sticky on the face. There does not seem to be any real residual slickness. Adding water to a previously shaved area did not bring up any slickness...
The soap didn't really inspire confidence so I didn't shave as close today.
I used a post-war Tech with Astra SP blade.

There is a slight cooling effect which I think is from the Peppermint oil.

Overall there are plenty of soaps I'd rather use than this one.
Derby cream is cheaper ($3 a tube usually) and performs better.
I went through half a tube of the Normal scent Derby a few months ago.

Top Bottom