What's new

Gillette Pure Shave Cream

After using this cream for a half dozen shaves, I can definitely say this is the real deal.
It lathers quickly and provides good slickness. To me, it's comparable to Palmolive Classic.
However it's available in my local store and is very reasonably priced. If I could get the scent that Dove Hydrating shave cream has (clean soapy scent), I'd be stockpiling this cream like crazy, but the Gillette continues to grow on me and also lathers much better than the Dove, which is designed as a brushless cream.

If anybody spots this on the shelves...the tubes aren't sealed so you can sneak a little trial squirt & sniff. To me the scent is a dead ringer for proraso blue...probably because of the aloe.
Also smells much like European (non-aerosol tube) Nivea cream. I picked up a tube the other day, I absolutely love it! This combined with their Skinguard razor makes for a brilliant “drug store” shave. I’m really excited about these products, because most guys that don’t want to make that leap to traditional wet shaving can easily try these products. A completely different experience from the crappy Fusion/Gel experiences most of us grew up with. Plus it’s a great fill in item for enthusiasts for time...or travel.

Very interested... is anyone able to compare this to la toja or niveas, both in a tube?

To me I think it’s a lot like Nivea (which is one of my favorites) I can only get it from over seas so it takes me about 6 weeks to get from eBay. The cool thing about the Gillette is, I think it’s actually a much better performer. Much more residual slickness, and post shave. Just add more water for touch ups. Plus I can get it 5 minutes from home. I highly recommend it. I was blown away. You won’t be disappointed.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
To me I think it’s a lot like Nivea (which is one of my favorites) I can only get it from over seas so it takes me about 6 weeks to get from eBay. The cool thing about the Gillette is, I think it’s actually a much better performer. Much more residual slickness, and post shave. Just add more water for touch ups. Plus I can get it 5 minutes from home. I highly recommend it. I was blown away. You won’t be disappointed.
That is great. I am recently trending towards products I can use without a brush and bowl. Nivea and la toja are neck and neck right now, but I guess Gillette pure takes their place. Thanks very much!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I found a tube and bought it today. I haven't used a shave gel in years, but I might pick up the Pure Shave Gel too. I did a test lather with my Turkish No.6 brush and I was pretty happy with the results. My Semogue 1305 is my go to brush, so I'll try it with that and see if the lather explodes like the 1305 usually does with stuff.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
How would this compete to other classics such as Palmolive, Spieck, or LEA classic?

How would this compete to other classics such as Palmolive, Spieck, or LEA classic?

Have not tried spieck or Lea but I can compare it to Palmolive as well as proraso, if that helps:

This is a thinner cream, use slightly less water then you normally would with the above creams. It's slickness is on par with Palmolive or proraso and has a wider working range in terms of your water ratio then either of the above (I find it really easy to "drown" proraso cream if you aren't paying attention) but it also takes a bit more work to give you a fluffy lather, though it's not difficult to lather at all. I could see cartridge and straight razor users potentially liking it more then DE and SE users just due to it's slickness. It's easy on the skin, so it doesn't contain ingredients that should cause problems, but it doesn't contain anything to soothe soon besides aloe and peppermint (barely detectable).

Side by side- proraso is a better cream. However! Proraso costs more, doesn't last as long (I have to use more cream per lather), and isn't available locally (not counting Bigelow). I think proraso is slightly better but not enough to justify using it over a cheaper, easier to get product like Gillette pure.

If you ever used any of the Indian tube creams like Gillette regular, Gillette lime, or any of the old spice family creams... They are identical in their performance and almost identical in their ingredient lists (less fragrance oils).

Last edited:
After using this cream for a half dozen shaves, I can definitely say this is the real deal.

Today i purposely used it very carelessly and willy nilly just to see what would happen, like the average joe schmo might use it, rushed for time before having to go out somewhere. I just ran a synthetic brush under some cold water (i usually use warm), gave it a quick shake, plopped some cream into the brush and started face lathering.

The brush was way wetter than my usual careful routine that i'm used to. It was so wet, for the first few swirls around my face i had to lean over the bathtub there was so much water dripping and splashing around. But even with that super wet start, after a few seconds of swishing around my face, it corrected itself into a nice creamy lather, enough for 3+ plus passes. Had great results with a '66 slim adjustable.

i said earlier the smell out of the tube is just like proraso blue, and i still stand by that. but after lathering up, it somehow seems to change a bit and smells a little better than that to me.

Last edited:
Today i purposely used it very carelessly and willy nilly just to see what would happen, like the average joe schmo might use it, rushed for time before having to go out somewhere. I just ran a synthetic brush under some cold water (i usually use warm), gave it a quick shake, plopped some cream into the brush and started face lathering.

The brush was way wetter than my usual careful routine that i'm used to. It was so wet, for the first few swirls around my face i had to lean over the bathtub there was so much water dripping and splashing around. But even with that super wet start, after a few seconds of swishing around my face, it corrected itself into a nice creamy lather, enough for 3+ plus passes. Had great results with a '66 slim adjustable.

i said earlier the smell out of the tube is just like proraso blue, and i still stand by that. but after lathering up, it somehow seems to change a bit and smells a little better than that to me.

Very nice review! Water it down for carts and straights, whip it up for DEs and SEs. Very versatile product. To me, it still smells almost identical to the Gillette 'regular' shave cream available in India. Also, I washed my hands in my kitchen sink with my usual Dawn dish soap (also P&G) maybe 20 mins after I had a shave with the pure cream last night... There is a similarity in their scent. Not saying the pure smells like dish soap, moreso that the fragrance profile of each product share some similarities.

Just found this stuff a couple days ago. Decided to buy a tube after checking this thread, Wow! This is good stuff! It lathers well with a Cremo horsehair and a squirt about 3/4" long gets me enough for 3 comfortable passes. has no real scent persay, just sort of a light fresh scent. It may have a bit of menthol as I am sensitive to menthol and I feel a slight tingle when I first apply, but not enough to notice really. Definitely be buying some more.

Oh, and at the same time I found this, I also found the new Nivea Deep AS. The box is marked lotion, but when you open it up it is a splash. no alcohol or witch hazel that I can tell, buy goes on nice, very mild smell, and not greasy at all. Good stuff, too.

The more I use this cream the better I like it. It does create a very good lather without a lot of effort.
The other bonus is cost. While $5.00-$6.00 on it's own is a bargain, if you take into account that the tube is 177ml vs. 100ml for Palmolive and the like, you are getting quite a bit more bang for the buck.

Can’t really go wrong with price, value, quality, ease of acquisition, ingredients and performance. It’s a win all around! Great stuff!

Saw this stuff the other day at Walmart. As soon as I saw the tube I immediately thought, "Gillette is firing back at Cremo Cream."

Or at least getting on the bandwagon. But I was there specifically for the Cremo Cream Cooling and didn't get a tube of the Pure.

I found this at my local Walmart today and picked up two tubes to test drive for just under 6$ each. I really like the scent.

I had difficulty lathering it myself, but I have *very* hard water and nothing lathers that easily. Still, I got a decent shave out of the first attempt. I believe I may have added too much water.

I experienced an ever so slightly cooling sensation during the shave which was pleasant.

If I can nail the lathering technique this might become my new daily cream as it's both cheap and local.

I found this at my local Walmart today and picked up two tubes to test drive for just under 6$ each. I really like the scent.

I had difficulty lathering it myself, but I have *very* hard water and nothing lathers that easily. Still, I got a decent shave out of the first attempt. I believe I may have added too much water.

I experienced an ever so slightly cooling sensation during the shave which was pleasant.

If I can nail the lathering technique this might become my new daily cream as it's both cheap and local.

Try more product then you would normally use, I get a better lather this way.

I saw this in both tube and canned form at Target. Chose the tubed version and gave it a go this morning. Used my Timeless .95 and it gave a great shave. I like the scent too. Ive tried other brushless creams like JB beard lube, Cremo etc and I’d say its a good cream for its price (5.99) and good if you’re in a rush.

I saw this cream in Target, picked it up, and then sat it back down. For many years Gillette has shown contempt for its customers with over engineered products and astronomically priced cartridges. Their advertising cannot promise a quality shave at a decent price, so they have gone into other directions, unnecessarily alienating many of their customers. I am happy to shave with classic Gillette razors, and am happy that many companies are offering better shaving creams, but Gillette can jump in a lake.

I haven't seen this locally, but when I do I'll have a dilemma. I want to try it, but I have more soaps and creams than I could possibly use. I'll have to keep my eyes averted when I walk past the shave aisle.

I saw this in both tube and canned form at Target. Chose the tubed version and gave it a go this morning. Used my Timeless .95 and it gave a great shave. I like the scent too. Ive tried other brushless creams like JB beard lube, Cremo etc and I’d say its a good cream for its price (5.99) and good if you’re in a rush.
How do you like your Timeless.95? They say it's smooth and was it worth the price.

Top Bottom