What's new

Should you be “committed” to the BOSC (Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies)?

Which category do you fall under?

• Total voters

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Imo it is the last of the best three piece razors Gillette ever made. There is a diamond hidden in that swamp thing. :001_smile

hes-right-you-know-32644779.png

I'm planning to use a stiff toothbrush, some brasso and plenty of elbow grease.
Or I'll just shave it as it is and freak out my girl rofl!

It will clean up beautifully. Start with just a soft cloth, save the toothbrush for the spots that need it. Don’t rush it. You’re going to love the look and the shave!

This is my granddad’s Old Type after a bit of Brasso. Still has a nice patina. I could stand to give its teeth a little brushing. It was still shaving just fine even when gunned up.

5CCA8760-2E9B-42E1-8906-9F1EDFFF0FD5.jpeg

It will clean up beautifully. Start with just a soft cloth, save the toothbrush for the spots that need it. Don’t rush it. You’re going to love the look and the shave!

This is my granddad’s Old Type after a bit of Brasso. Still has a nice patina. I could stand to give its teeth a little brushing. It was still shaving just fine even when gunned up.

View attachment 942748

Thanks guys.
It should be here in a month at most and then it'll be scrub scrub scrub polish.... SHINE lol!!!

You must add the proper item to your signature.

Many of us seem to have a similar need. The solution is simple.

proxy.php

The original house is on the far right next to the tall chimney. The rest is for storage of double edged razors, single edged razors, straight razors, blades, brushes, splashes, etc.

Not pictured is the basement which extends under the entire structure and is used only for storage of seldom used shaving soaps. The architect engaged a team of industrial supply and logistic managers (mostly former naval officers with engineering degrees from the Naval Academy) to formulate and implement systems for storage and retrieval.

To the far left and out of this photograph is ongoing construction in anticipation of additional necessities such as Japanese Natural Stones.

I'm sure you're beginning to see your own simple solution.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Except I would end up in that pot there out front...well my ashes anyway....

I’m behind on posting, but lookee lookee what showed up at my house last year courtesy of our very own Tanuki.

proxy.php

I’m afraid I haven’t had the time with the craziness around here to properly brag on these guys. I might add that the round guy fits my Parker Variant perfectly and the squared guy fits my RR barber pole like a glove. I can’t describe how awesome the spalting is on these guys the pictures can’t quite capture it.

I’m definately in when Tanuki starts churning these out and sells them to us with BOSC burned into them. Or brush handles for that matter.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Having had some albeit, minor success in restoring my dad's old razor I've decided to take a plunge off the deep end and try to rescue this swamp thing!

Made an offer and didn't expect much but, the seller agreed lol!

View attachment 942452 View attachment 942454 View attachment 942453 View attachment 942455

I'm guessing it's a gillette new of some sort. It's weeks away before I can do anything but what is it anyway lol?

I'm planning to use a stiff toothbrush, some brasso and plenty of elbow grease.
Or I'll just shave it as it is and freak out my girl rofl!

It's a very good razor. Smooth. NEW SC.

NEW.SC.L'Orange.Jade.Kit.5-18.JPG

The photo is my SC.

4OldTypeRazors..640.6-2-18.JPG

You'd also like the Old Type with a handle borrowed from a Fat Handled Tech (and they're easy to find, the FHT is). Look for Old Types with zero bent teeth. They clean up very, very well so don't worry if they look real funky if the teeth are straight.

So many great old razors!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Patina may not make much difference to the shave, but it can...

This is my made in Canada Old Type that I first lightly cleaned then polished.

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

Then I forced a black patina on it.

I let it soak in that solution for 5 or 10 minutes. Took it out, rinsed it and wiped it gently, then back in for another 5-10 minutes, took it out and rinsed it again.

IMG_2656.jpg

Then I wiped it and buffed it with a soft tissue so the black wouldnt come off on my fingers.

IMG_2657.jpg

IMG_2658.jpg

Its been like that ever since.

IMG_2682.JPG

The thing I noticed instantly with its first shave was how much slipperier the cap is. The patina, whether natural or forced, fills in the pores of the Brass and makes it smoother. That razor glides as smoothly and easily as my gold plated Fatip and theres quite a bit of difference between it and my bare Brass NEW SC.

sunset-over-water-allen-carroll.jpg

It's a very good razor. Smooth. NEW SC.

View attachment 942821

The photo is my SC.

View attachment 942822

You'd also like the Old Type with a handle borrowed from a Fat Handled Tech (and they're easy to find, the FHT is). Look for Old Types with zero bent teeth. They clean up very, very well so don't worry if they look real funky if the teeth are straight.

So many great old razors!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks Jim, I'm sure it'll be a really nice razor, I just didn't expect much when I got it thinking it was going to be a restoration project n not much more. Lucky find I guess.

View attachment 942897

View attachment 942898

I let it soak in that solution for 5 or 10 minutes. Took it out, rinsed it and wiped it gently, then back in for another 5-10 minutes, took it out and rinsed it again.

View attachment 942899

Then I wiped it and buffed it with a soft tissue so the black wouldnt come off on my fingers.

View attachment 942900

View attachment 942902

View attachment 942904

The thing I noticed instantly with its first shave was how much slipperier the cap is. The patina, whether natural or forced, fills in the pores of the Brass and makes it smoother. That razor glides as smoothly and easily as my gold plated Fatip and theres quite a bit of difference between it and my bare Brass NEW SC.

View attachment 942907

Very cool, I wonder if there is a solution to give it a blueish steel or shiny gun metal look?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

View attachment 942897

View attachment 942898

View attachment 942899

View attachment 942900

View attachment 942902

View attachment 942904

View attachment 942907

I like it, Mike.

Hey my fellow BOSC!! Just wanted to drop in here & give a quick shout out to yall. Been awhile since I been in here, as I've mostly been in the soaps & DE forums. Jim, Mike, Rave, Cal, Dave & others......many good shaves await us all in 2019!

Thanks Jim, I'm sure it'll be a really nice razor, I just didn't expect much when I got it thinking it was going to be a restoration project n not much more. Lucky find I guess.

Very cool, I wonder if there is a solution to give it a blueish steel or shiny gun metal look?
I think you would have to get it plated/coated to achieve those looks,
but you can get it plated/coated to achieve those looks :)

I think you would have to get it plated/coated to achieve those looks,
but you can get it plated/coated to achieve those looks :)

I'm not fussed if I can get it to look like this, I'll be happy
513aae47877b0eaf6710ac37c677224a.jpg

If I can get it to look like this it'll be a miracle!
Vintage-Gillette-NEW-Short-Comb-Copper-Brass-Safety.jpg

I prefer the look of it in its original metal but if I ever get bored cos of having to keep polishing it I might just plate it with rhodium.

I'm not fussed if I can get it to look like this, I'll be happy View attachment 943185
If I can get it to look like this it'll be a miracle!
View attachment 943187
I prefer the look of it in its original metal but if I ever get bored cos of having to keep polishing it I might just plate it with rhodium.
I believe that once you get it to your liking, you can lacquer coat it. That would keep it from having to be polished. My New LC I just keep clean after I had polished it originally.

Found these 2 patina solution providers:
Steel Darkening Brass Patina Process
https://www.patinas.com/patinas-products

Haven't used either, but they seem to have a wide variety. The second has several options for "sealing" the patina. Oil, wax, lacquer, etc.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Suspending bare clean Brass in an Ammonia vapour bath and adding salt turns the Brass bright blue.

9b2e6632b2a198c2e6b1ac704a20a5c0--mechanical-mod-vape.jpg

Theres a lot of information on the net for custom Brass vape tube designs.

I believe that once you get it to your liking, you can lacquer coat it. That would keep it from having to be polished. My New LC I just keep clean after I had polished it originally.

Found these 2 patina solution providers:
Steel Darkening Brass Patina Process
https://www.patinas.com/patinas-products

Haven't used either, but they seem to have a wide variety. The second has several options for "sealing" the patina. Oil, wax, lacquer, etc.

Thanks Clay, lacquer might be a good option for now as I prefer the new yellow/red brass look.

Suspending bare clean Brass in an Ammonia vapour bath and adding salt turns the Brass bright blue.

View attachment 943280

Hi Esox, those colours are very interesting. The issue is I stay w my gf in a really tiny apartment n I'm not sure I'll be able to do any of that but it's great info and perhaps I could try it someday.

This thread is becoming a like a wiki page on all sorts of great info and history, might be good as a sticky lol!

Thanks everyone.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hi Esox, those colours are very interesting. The issue is I stay w my gf in a really tiny apartment n I'm not sure I'll be able to do any of that but it's great info and perhaps I could try it someday.

If you have a stained glass shop around stop in one day and talk to someone that works there. I got the Novacan solution I have from a friend that does stained glass. People that do stained glass work, normally work with lead and copper, but many of the solutions they use can also impart colour or stain to Brass.

The solution I have has no smell at all.

If you have a stained glass shop around stop in one day and talk to someone that works there. I got the Novacan solution I have from a friend that does stained glass. People that do stained glass work, normally work with lead and copper, but many of the solutions they use can also impart colour or stain to Brass.

The solution I have has no smell at all.

Stained glass shop in Singapore... Hmmm that might be a very hard thing to find on this tiny island but I could look are lol.

Worth a shot thanks Esox!

View attachment 943280

Great info! I see a blue razor (maybe) in my future :)

I had found it's 3 (2 black, one super brite) types online, went with the other links because of more options.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Stained glass shop in Singapore... Hmmm that might be a very hard thing to find on this tiny island but I could look are lol.

Worth a shot thanks Esox!

Google is your friend!

Great info! I see a blue razor (maybe) in my future :)

I had found it's 3 (2 black, one super brite) types online, went with the other links because of more options.

Theres some info here if you poke around.

Restore Metal and Keep Metal Looking Its Best

They also sell the sealer thats applied after a metal is finished so it wont tarnish.

@Raven Koenes
t670742_nurseratched.jpg

Top Bottom