What's new

Should you be “committed” to the BOSC (Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies)?

Which category do you fall under?

• Total voters

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Has anyone tried to do this for their Karve? I just got one and it shaves spectacularly, but the brass smell might make me pass it on. :em18:

Hmmm. A sealer would stop any smell from leeching out but I cant say I've tried any. I would expect the smell of Brass to lessen as its used. Its likely close to a very raw state as new.

Hmmm. A sealer would stop any smell from leeching out but I cant say I've tried any. I would expect the smell of Brass to lessen as its used. Its likely close to a very raw state as new.

I was hoping as it tarnished it might lessen considerably. Many of the Gillettes I have are all but stripped of their brass and they don't bother me much if at all.

My only hesitation about lacquering it would be messing up the tolerances of the razor, although saying that out-loud, maybe that isn't an issue.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My only hesitation about lacquering it would be messing up the tolerances of the razor, although saying that out-loud, maybe that isn't an issue.

That could very easily be an issue. If I was going to seal it with say, clear nail polish, I wouldnt do the blade contact surfaces. Being Brass it would be pretty easy to remove once done, but its still time and effort.

Maybe a paste wax. Apply it, polish it off, repeat. Not many waxes hold up against soap for long though.

I'm not sure what I'd use...

You could just lacquer the parts that show, Adam. On the other hand, you could go completely BOSC! :letterk1: :laugh:

upload_2019-1-15_22-1-16.png

Has anyone tried to do this for their Karve? I just got one and it shaves spectacularly, but the brass smell might make me pass it on. :em18:

Brass smell, fresh badger and boar hair funk, I don’t smell any of it. My nose may be dysfunctional, but at least I can smell the delightful scent of Arko.

One friend has simply exiled her Karve to the garden to hasten its patina. But does patina lessen brass smell? Does stainless smell? Nickel? Chrome? Gold?

If a razor falls in a very dark forest, can it be found by following the metal scent?

Well ........ I’m going to have to confess that I think I’ve arrived at category 3. I definitely went through stages 1 and 2 during the first couple of years of shaving properly. But the last couple of years have been kind of crazy. Bought way too much stuff and had way too much fun in 2016, so joined the Shave Purchase Sabbatical in 2017. Failed out in May and bought more stuff in the last 3/4 of 2017 than in all the previous years combined. So now I’m in the 2018 Sabbatical.

But that’s not what convinced me I was crazy. What convinced me is this. After running across @CanadianMountainMan’s daily shave log and inventory spreadsheet, I downloaded it and played with it for a while. Then I went crazy and built my own version in Numbers with the concepts I saw there ...... making adjustments and extensions based on my own approach and style of shaving.

I have spent countless hours experimenting with formulas, formats, charts, and whatnot working with this project over the past several weeks. Here’s a sample of the result offered as evidence of my qualifications to join the BOSC ........

F75202C9-B844-4D06-A8B6-B3813BF26747.png
C3D7FFE4-AAC7-417A-B6C1-0CEA6D60F45E.png
29F507B5-B0A2-4C08-BB87-89FF9CDF9BC5.png

And that’s just a sample ...........

Can I join, please?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Well ........ I’m going to have to confess that I think I’ve arrived at category 3. I definitely went through stages 1 and 2 during the first couple of years of shaving properly. But the last couple of years have been kind of crazy. Bought way too much stuff and had way too much fun in 2016, so joined the Shave Purchase Sabbatical in 2017. Failed out in May and bought more stuff in the last 3/4 of 2017 than in all the previous years combined. So now I’m in the 2018 Sabbatical.

But that’s not what convinced me I was crazy. What convinced me is this. After running across @CanadianMountainMan’s daily shave log and inventory spreadsheet, I downloaded it and played with it for a while. Then I went crazy and built my own version in Numbers with the concepts I saw there ...... making adjustments and extensions based on my own approach and style of shaving.

I have spent countless hours experimenting with formulas, formats, charts, and whatnot working with this project over the past several weeks. Here’s a sample of the result offered as evidence of my qualifications to join the BOSC ........

View attachment 947243 View attachment 947244 View attachment 947245
And that’s just a sample ...........

Can I join, please?

I made colour coded Excel spreadsheets. Thats normal and perfectly sane. I did it so it has to be!

I think you can join if you say "I'm in" and then @Cal will see about having your 'jacket' made.

B&B Shaver Categories:
The people who come to B&B initially for help and advice.
2. Those that have passed through the initial stages, and all of a sudden… shaving has become a hobby.
3. Those for whom the hobby has become an OBSESSION. Y’know, multiple Acquisition Disorders and the desire to do all sorts of shaving experiments that your grandfather would have laughed out loud at (or maybe cried). Enabling others (to “help” them by exacerbating their existing ADs). All that weird sort of stuff.
You know who you are. :letterk1:

What?

The BOSC is a brotherhood for all the fortunates (and unfortunates) who come under category “3” above.

Why?

Many of us are quite happy to be crazy. Others are a little worried by this situation and would appreciate some support in their “off the wall” ventures. Most of us like company, so if we’re already a little crazy it’s fun to join up with others of like “mind” (y’know, that thing we’re “out of”).

Who?

All shaving crazies, as loosely defined above.
If you’d like to join this intrepid band simply post “I’m in.”
Then add BOSC to your signature (just to let everyone “know” you’re crazy :wink2:).

THANK YOU TO THE INITIAL BOSC MEMBERS who got this idea up and running, and who obviously don’t need to say they’re in:
@Raven Koenes, @Esox, @Chan Eil Whiskers, @ZigZiglar. :thumbup:

All existing and new brothers are encouraged to post their shaving thoughts, the crazier the better.

Let the madness begin. :laugh:

Okay, I'm in.
I'm nuts and I enjoy it.
This morning after I shaved I took my wife to breakfast.
Driving to the restaurant the first movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony was played.
While enjoying the musical reverie, I thought; "Wow! What kind of shave evokes this?"
I know it wasn't shaving....unless the musicologist are all wrong.
Hmmmm...

B&B Shaver Categories:
2. Those that have passed through the initial stages, and all of a sudden… shaving has become a hobby.
3. Those for whom the hobby has become an OBSESSION. Y’know, multiple Acquisition Disorders and the desire to do all sorts of shaving experiments that your grandfather would have laughed out loud at (or maybe cried). Enabling others (to “help” them by exacerbating their existing ADs). All that weird sort of stuff.

What?

The BOSC is a brotherhood for all the fortunates (and unfortunates) who come under category “3” above.

Why?

Many of us are quite happy to be crazy. Others are a little worried by this situation and would appreciate some support in their “off the wall” ventures. Most of us like company, so if we’re already a little crazy it’s fun to join up with others of like “mind” (y’know, that thing we’re “out of”).

Who?

Then add BOSC to your signature (just to let everyone “know” you’re crazy :wink2:).

THANK YOU TO THE INITIAL BOSC MEMBERS who got this idea up and running, and who obviously don’t need to say they’re in:

All existing and new brothers are encouraged to post their shaving thoughts, the crazier the better.

I'm in!

B&B Shaver Categories:

What?

Why?

Who?

B&B Shaver Categories:

What?

Why?

Who?

I clicked on 3,
I'm in?

Top Bottom