What's new

Yates Build Your Own Razors - Question for owners of this Razor❓

The Yates OC plates look kind of pointy... seems like you would really feel it unless you were riding the cap?
They're actually not that pointy. They're more rounded than it looks in pictures. I don't like pointy/rough OC teeth!
In order to feel the pointiness of these, you'd have to shave so steep that the razor would be parallel to your face.
(I just ran it across my face at different angles to check, LOL!!)
I shave at a neutral angle and it feels smooth!
YMMV though!
Maybe what might feel smooth for me, doesn't for you.
I will say something though, Timeless has the smoothest open comb period!
The teeth are totally round and it feels like you're shaving with an SB!

They're actually not that pointy. They're more rounded than it looks in pictures. I don't like pointy/rough OC teeth!
In order to feel the pointiness of these, you'd have to shave so steep that the razor would be parallel to your face.
(I just ran it across my face at different angles to check, LOL!!)
I shave at a neutral angle and it feels smooth!
YMMV though!
Maybe what might feel smooth for me, doesn't for you.
I will say something though, Timeless has the smoothest open comb period!
The teeth are totally round and it feels like you're shaving with an SB!
Am I wrong, has the design of the current open plate been revised? I have a plate hybrid brass M the first versions, the open comb seems different

Razor arrived Oct 30. Shaving with the H baseplate was super smooth WTG, though it didn't seem especially efficient. It has a nice sound while shaving, and the blade alignment is effortless and right on. XTG is pretty rough, unless I go super steep, like parallel to skin steep.

There's no riding the cap with this razor, seems most efficient in a neutral angle.

I like the weight and look of the brass. It does have a smell, but it doesn't smell bad, just an interesting metallic smell.

I received the M and EH baseplates on Nov. 2. Both plates were actually labeled EH so I contacted Jake Yates and he responded within 5 minutes, and a replacement with the correct label was in the mail the next day.

Good service!

I've only tried the EH so far (of these two) and it feels similar to the H. I shaved in a rush so I didn't try XTG. I'll have to try it more.

Looking forward to trying the M plate as well.

All 3 plates are scalloped safety-bar.

I didn't want to start another topic just for a single question. So my question is - what's the difference between the solid bar and the scallop? Does the scallop adds a bit more efficiency? Does it ''scratch'' the face a bit more or it's more like an esthetic rather than functional feature. I'm asking this, because I'm looking to buy Yates with the EH plate and I'm split between the scallop and the solid bar. I'm not a huge fan of the open combs, so that no for me.
I am sure you probably already picked up a base plate, but I thought I would post this video from Yates Precision which goes over all the safety bar configurations and explains the differences. I figure other people will stumble across this post and find it helpful. I found it in the FAQ section on the Yates Precision site.

I am sure you probably already picked up a base plate, but I thought I would post this video from Yates Precision which goes over all the safety bar configurations and explains the differences. I figure other people will stumble across this post and find it helpful. I found it in the FAQ section on the Yates Precision site.

I've bought the Ti Scalloped version with the EH plate and it does shave really close, but it felt a bit aggressive on my first shave. I haven't used it since then and I guess I need to go a bit slow. I might try the H plate at some point. It might be a better option for me.

I've bought the Ti Scalloped version with the EH plate and it does shave really close, but it felt a bit aggressive on my first shave. I haven't used it since then and I guess I need to go a bit slow. I might try the H plate at some point. It might be a better option for me.
I have the steel EH solid bar base plate and I don't pull that one out unless I have three to four days growth. I am thinking about the Ti H open comb plate for my next purchase. I have the steel H scalloped base plate and wonder how the lighter metal but more blade access for longer whiskers would work. I am hoping it would be more efficient in the mustache area on the first pass with three plus days worth of growth than the steel H scalloped or or more comfortable than the steel solid bar EH plate. The OC side of the original brass hybrid plate (M by the blade gap) cannot handle three days growth for my face.

I have bought a couple of custom baseplates and a custom top cap and the emails say the standard lead time is 3-5 weeks for BYOR/BYOB/BYOH/BYOC. I think mine have arrived no later than 5 weeks out but since the make them to order, it depends on how many orders are before yours (and if there is anything that stops production).

Top Bottom