What's new

Yates Build Your Own Razors - Question for owners of this Razor❓

Oh sorry, I haven't, I've just had the Merica. I thought you were just wondering about the threads. Hopefully someone here knows for sure.

Blackbird is too aggressive for the time being?
Hi Patrice,

Hope I am not late to the party.

This is my subjective opinion and YMMV.

I started wet shaving since April this year (I am a daily shaver) so I am somewhat still learning as I was a daily cart shaver before this madness started.

I started with a Rockwell 6c then Rockwell 6s, Muhle R41, Fatip Piccollo, Fatip Grande, Gillette Slim Adjustable, Blackbird and then Yates (plates M, H and HE). There are also a couple of razors I omitted from this list because they did not stand out in my opinion.

Hands down, the Yates stainless steel bead blasted w HE plates is the ugliest Razor I have (in my opinion) but that has been what I have been shaving with daily the past 2 months because I think that it is the most efficient razor that gives me BBS almost every shave.

The Blackbird stainless is the best looking razor in my collection and gives the most audio feedback (like scraping burnt toast) but maybe its just my subjective opinion that for a good shave w the Blacbird, I need more passes / or to use more pressure than any other razor I ever used. I also tried different angles but no luck for me.

Every 2 weeks or so I will try using the Blackbird but I will return to the Yates HE the next day as it is just not as efficient for me. For context, I am the type of OCD perfectionist that will do 6 passes with the Blackbird to get BBS if needed, when 3 passes with a Yates HE guarantees me BBS every shave.

My 2 cents, just get both the Yates HE and Blackbird as both this razors cured my RAD. Put it this way, if I had the Yates, I will still get the Blackbird eventually due to my curiosity and vice versa. Once you RAD is over, you can then progress to BAD and then SAD.

Once your RAD, BAD and SAD is over like mine (I lied, I'm still stockpiling soaps / creams although I have enough for at least 16 years) .....you can finally just enjoy your shaves together with a diff soap / brush rotated to your preference on the day.

I also tried a number of blades and weirdly settled on Big Ben super stainless from Egypt being my favourite (from a sample pack). For a time, I thought that the Gillette Nacet was the best blade..it still is in the Rockwell 6C and 6S (I bought 1,600 of them due my irrational fear that Russia was gonna stop making them) and Wizamets the next best blade. That being said, I realised that certain blades just work better with certain razors.

If I could start all over again... I would have just bought the Rockwell 6C, Piccolo, Blackbird and Yates HE but would not have changed a thing else as the journey has been rewarding so far.

Yep, same here....to me it appears the yates was hit with an ugly stick.
But “One man’s “ugly” is another man’s “beautiful.” I totally respect that...
Tolerances are very good...
I had the " Machine AS".
Functionally, works...but you ready need to try it..a few plate options & nice they have SB/OC and Hybrid too..
I would suggest, jumping on one in the FS listing...Then you minimize ta little $ risk.
Handle - thread is #10 x 32, too narrow for, no knurling ( for me) , guess people get use to it or switch it...
Good Luck,
BFX

Hello!

Sorry I know I already asked but is there anyone here with both the merica and the 921 razors? I would just like to know it the merica handle fit the 921 head and plate.

Thank you!

Hello!

Sorry I know I already asked but is there anyone here with both the merica and the 921 razors? I would just like to know it the merica handle fit the 921 head and plate.

Thank you!
I don't have the 921 head but I was planning on getting one. I do have a Merica and picked up a second just for the handle, to use on the Winning and eventually a 921. I checked the threads for handle options for the 921 and 8mm was the diameter stated. If the handle is larger they suggested stacking 8mm washers. The Merica handles measure at around 8.14mm so it might not fit. Best bet would be to email Yates if the Merica handle does fit.

Should....all yates / merica , I believe use a #10 - 32 thread

Well beyond the size of the thread there is also a specificity of the 921 not accepting handle too large where it connects apparently. At least it is what I understood but I might be wrong, and if so anyone do not hesitate to correct what I am saying.

It is a little bit confusing. I wish they could just allow people to select the merica handle when they select the build your own razor option for the 921. But maybe it is not possible I do not know.

I didn't want to start another topic just for a single question. So my question is - what's the difference between the solid bar and the scallop? Does the scallop adds a bit more efficiency? Does it ''scratch'' the face a bit more or it's more like an esthetic rather than functional feature. I'm asking this, because I'm looking to buy Yates with the EH plate and I'm split between the scallop and the solid bar. I'm not a huge fan of the open combs, so that no for me.

I didn't want to start another topic just for a single question. So my question is - what's the difference between the solid bar and the scallop? Does the scallop adds a bit more efficiency? Does it ''scratch'' the face a bit more or it's more like an esthetic rather than functional feature. I'm asking this, because I'm looking to buy Yates with the EH plate and I'm split between the scallop and the solid bar. I'm not a huge fan of the open combs, so that no for me.
It's a preference. Scallops are suppose to let more lather and hair through without going open comb. Scallops are also similar to the anti skid feature of the original Gillette techs, keeps it from side sliding if that's a problem.
You shouldn't really see a difference in efficiency unless your using a really thick leather that could make a difference by keeping the solid safety bar higher, but you could easily make up for that by changing your angle.

It's a preference. Scallops are suppose to let more lather and hair through without going open comb. Scallops are also similar to the anti skid feature of the original Gillette techs, keeps it from side sliding if that's a problem.
You shouldn't really see a difference in efficiency unless your using a really thick leather that could make a difference by keeping the solid safety bar higher, but you could easily make up for that by changing your angle.

So in short, it doesn't really matter that much if it's scallop or solid bar. I think I'm going for the titanium, since it costs just a little more and I know from expirience that titanium razors are slightly better for me at least.

So in short, it doesn't really matter that much if it's scallop or solid bar. I think I'm going for the titanium, since it costs just a little more and I know from expirience that titanium razors are slightly better for me at least.
The Ti is awesome. I have their stainless, brass, and Ti and the Ti is my favorite. I’ve only had their scalloped base plates so no idea on the solid bar differences. I’d image they shave similar.

I put an order in on Oct 8, and I thought I post to keep a record of how long it's taking at the moment. I ordered in all brass, not sure if that makes a difference.

h-plate, scalloped, 3.5" handle.

Yesterday I decided I wanted the M and EH plates as well, so I put in an order for those. I'm curious if they will ship together or not...

Also, I had originally ordered stainless steel, but then emailed to cancel and put in another order for brass. Jake responded the next morning. I then had a few follow up emails including asking about current timelines and adding a plate to my order, but he didn't respond to either email. I was surprised by the lack of response since it seems I've only heard good things about communicating with Jake.

I have it in brass! "H" SB base plate and "M" OC base plate. My handle is the 3.5". The H SB is too much for me as a daily use razor but the M open comb is perfect. Out of my DE's, the Yates is in my top 5. Build quality, tolerances and finish are A+. Nice balance and a great performer. I'd say it's probably the best value in a USA made custom DE razor. And customer service is top notch!
I don't favor skinny handles but for some reason, this one is awesome!
I've read many others say the same positive things about the handle. It's just right!
Good luck!

@LRod - Yes, I read your preference for the OC - M plate with interest. I have the Game Changer .68 OC and I found the comb to be fairly uncomfortable. I have since learned to shave more shallow with the GC series... But I've always found solid / scalloped bars to be more comfortable.

The Yates OC plates look kind of pointy... seems like you would really feel it unless you were riding the cap?

Top Bottom