What's new

WR1 & H OC - a quick comparison

Hello.

About 2 months ago, I picked up a Wolfman WR1 .74 SS OC. Ive shaved with it, every time, since acquiring it. (I typically do this with new razors, to grow accustomed to it, and then use it afterward in rotation with my others…)

Today, I decided to switch it up, and use my Yates H OC (Brass).

Here is a quick comparison:
1. Blade feel
the WR1 has noticibly more blade feel. I dont necessarily dislike blade feel, and somewhat rely upon it to help find the ideal cutting angle.
2. Comfort
the H is more comfortable to use. Compared to the WR1, you might question if there is actually a blade in there. Both have comfortable “teeth” compared to some others ive tried, and didnt keep.
3. Aggression
I think the H might be slightly more aggressive? But with less blade feel, its tough to guage. I do find I will produce a few weepers with the H, if Im not careful and precise with angle and pressure- where I typically do not with the WR1.
4. Performance
Both give great shaves, but the H wins, with a slightly closer shave.
5. Value
well, “value” is subjective, and I value them both. But if we use a cost vs performance metric - the Yates wins

these are 2 of 3 open comb razors i own. (the other is a FOCS). They both are very well-crafted, and are a pleasure to use. Each has their own strengths and charm. I am happy to have these two rotating in my total collection of 6.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Great info!
I use it rather to gauge how aggressive the Wolfman WR1 heads are than for the Yates, which is rather my still relatively vague baseline.

Because I only have the Yates EH SB plate for the standard machined steel version, it's a bit like Razorock's razor chart, it's rather medium high at max, there are definitely way more aggressive razors out there, and the Yates is very well behaved.

I read H OC and wondered if you meant HOG and the Terran Hegemony, but maybe a kind mod adds a sensible "Yates" to the title of the thread. :applause:

I read H OC and wondered if you meant HOG and the Terran Hegemony, but maybe a kind mod adds a sensible "Yates" to the title of the thread. :applause:

Ha! yeah… I suppose Yates hasnt reached the “lore” and respect of Wolfman, in this forum - where we can freely refer to razors with model-code, alone; and everyone knows what you are talking about.

Top Bottom