What's new

Yates Build Your Own Razors - Question for owners of this Razor❓

Been looking at Yates WebSite, watching reviews.

Have few question if you own, or owned and sold.

1. Handle appears skinny, thinking of 3.5” size.

Problems, or do you love?

2. Thinking of Stainless, good or bad choice.

3. Thinking of Stonewashed finish, if you have or had. Likes or dislikes?

4. Owner who owned, why did you sell or trade.

Last I will say like Made in USA, like idea as Vet I can save a few bucks.🥳

Also like supporting ing little guy.

If your current owner why do you love your Yates?

Been looking at Yates WebSite, watching reviews.

Have few question if you own, or owned and sold.

1. Handle appears skinny, thinking of 3.5” size.

Problems, or do you love?

2. Thinking of Stainless, good or bad choice.

3. Thinking of Stonewashed finish, if you have or had. Likes or dislikes?

4. Owner who owned, why did you sell or trade.

Last I will say like Made in USA, like idea as Vet I can save a few bucks.🥳

Also like supporting ing little guy.

If your current owner why do you love your Yates?
Well, I'm a huge Yates fanboy. I have a couple of stainless and a Ti and Brass from the BYOR section. If you just get the razor from the non BYOR, it will have the long skinny handle. If you get from BYOR, you can select handle length and the handle is a bit fatter. I like both handle options btw. My stainless razors are the bead blast finish which is similar to other satin razors. The stonewash finish is the darkest and some think it doesn't glide as well as the other finishes. My Ti is the As Machined finish and this is about like a polished razor. If you aren't looking to spend for a Ti model, the stainless is a great option and I still use mine regularly, but I do prefer my Ti.

I'm a daily shaver and I use the H plate in all my Yates razors. The H to me feels the same as the M plate, but with added efficiency. I still use my M plate from time to time when I want to shake things up. My Yates razors shave smooth and close and can be used with a steeper angle which I prefer. The only razor in my den that outperforms it (by just a hair), is my Blackbird (both stainless and Ti models).

I highly recommend Yates razors. Been using them for about 4 years or so now.

It is my ugliest razor, and my favorite best performing razor. My experience is very much like @gdawg55 , except I only have the stonewash finish.

Yes, the handle is skinny and longer than my preference, but for this razor it just works. Tried the shorty, but didn't like the balance and weight. The standard is perfect for me.

I have the Titanium bead blasted with both H and EH plates. I enjoy the EH plate the most, for me its just like the H plate but with added efficiency and same smoothness.

I had and sold Brass and Stonewashed stainless with H and M plates. I had the stubby handle and it worked great. I have been preferring lately lighter razors. The skinny handle is very easy to maneuver. There is no drag for the bead blast, the stonewashed Ss had some drag but minimal and hard to notice. The Brass had a great face feel if you prefer that metal. I love my Yates because when I shave with it, its mindless and I don’t have to pay attention unlike a Blackbird. It delivers consistent shaves and it is very precise and predictable. I’m always surprised how close it gets considering it does feel mild and not as much blade feel as my Blackbird or ATT Windsor H1. Highly recommend the Yates in any metal! If you are looking for everyday daily driver get H plate, every other day or 2-3 days get the EH plate, or as in true B&B spirit - get both lol.

I am a every other day shaver. All the Best, C_S.

+1 on everything CS says, I just had my second shave with the EH plate, more efficient but same smoothness as H. I have the stonewash finish and don’t perceive any drag. My handle is long/skinny, which works with this razor. Top 3 razor for me.

Hi @Danuhoh, what are the other top 3 out of curiosity? Yates shavers seem to be blackbird fans.
Other two would be Charcoal Goods gen 2 level 2 and the Lambda Athena. Alpha Outlaw, Blutt 1.20 and Tatara Nodachi right in the mix too. Currently testing the Overlander and Kopparkant to see where they fit in. The Blackbird, I'm still trying to figure it out. I know I need to spend more time with it.

Open-Comb H plate, in Brass. 3.5" handle.
Wonderful shaving tool.
The handle is just a bit thinner than my other razors, but it feels nice, and balances well.

I'm not so much a fan of the stonewashed finish.

Brass with brass open and closed comb H plates with beadblasted Ti cap and 3.5" handle.
As ewk so eloquently describes it yes, not a sexy razor but I love mine.

I actually thought I had the M plates but turns out I have the H.
I can't see how I would part with this razor. It just "fits" and the balance it lovely in my hands.

I have a titanium Yates razor, 4in handle with a scalloped H plate - all machine finished.

It’s definitely the most expensive razor I’ve tried (out of about two dozen), but by far my favorite. High quality, great shaves. I personally am a fan of how it looks. The H plate is perfect for me, I shave about every other day. If you know your preferences as far as efficiency/blade feel go, you can confidently choose a plate between M, H, and EH.

Steel, brass, or titanium, you’ll get a great razor. Cheers!

My Yates titanium EH and H are definitely in the excellent category. For those that prefer to shave steep (riding the bar), the Yates delivers a great shave.

Yes, it should, he uses the same thread pitch. The Merica handle is really nice!

Hello!

Thank you for your response! Have you tried it? In the FAQ on the website they say that the diameter of the handle where there is the connection cannot have a diameter superior to a certain size. Is that the case with the merica handle? I am not sure.

Top Bottom