What's new

Yaqi Bohemia

full

How would a bohemian razor be compared to KARVE Overlander? I am thinking to get the Bohemian or the Mühle r41 for some aggressive razor...

How would a bohemian razor be compared to KARVE Overlander? I am thinking to get the Bohemian or the Mühle r41 for some aggressive razor...
For ~$20 off the BST sub-forum, I think the R41 is hard to beat. I like my Bohemia a lot but, the R41 is a great option for an occasional shave after being in the woods for a week.

The R41 is also more nimble to use. The Bohemia has a bit of bulk but, I do get a nice shave under and around my nose with it. At ~25% the cost, the R41 is an easy win for an occasional use razor.

I'm coming back here exactly one year after just to confirm how great this razor is.
IMHO it shaves as well as the R41, but without demanding blood, paranoia and a static angle all over my face!
Definitely it was my RAD killer.

While the R41 isn't a good choice for most novice users, demanding blood, paranoia, ... is overstated IMHO.

Can I get weepers with it? Sure. Can I get a good bleed from it? Yes. Does it do that if I use due care and pay attention? No.

The R41 isn't particularly demanding to me but, it is less forgiving of careless use. That can be said of many of my razors. If I focus on the task at hand, no drama. If I let my mind wonder, don't pay attention, etc. then most of my razors will result in nicks and various levels of blood loss.

While not a great solution for most novice and first-time wet shavers, the R41 shouldn't be feared if you pay attention to your shave and have the basics covered.

For ~$20 off the BST sub-forum, I think the R41 is hard to beat. I like my Bohemia a lot but, the R41 is a great option for an occasional shave after being in the woods for a week.

The R41 is also more nimble to use. The Bohemia has a bit of bulk but, I do get a nice shave under and around my nose with it. At ~25% the cost, the R41 is an easy win for an occasional use razor.
I am tempted by Yaqi Bohemian also. Nevertheless I don't fear Muhle r41 and probably I will by the head alone as I have an handle already.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The razor just arrived. Will shave tonight. Loaded a Dorco Prime and switched the bumper, sorry baseplate, to "2" from side "1". This is supposedly 0
95 vs 1.35 gap. Also got myself some stands, not just for the Bohemia, also one for my Romulus, no longer hanging in the test tube holder. 😀

BohemiaY.jpg

Philips Oneblade in the background looking a bit ominous.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
First shave, side "2" can be seen from below. I assume this is the aggressive side and it really isn't aggressive at all.

This is as injury foolproof as it can get, it is even milder than the Mellon SS! But it has a very high efficiency, I particularly appreciated the massive head and comb when shaving the neck. It's straightening the skin almost by itself.

It's no hyper efficient razor, for that it is too mild. But it reminds me of my Lambda razors, Ares and Athena, very similar vibes!

The handle gives excellent grip, I would have liked 1cm more, but it is a good compromise. Most people simply don't share my love for very massive handles.

The head surprisingly did shave über the nose without effort. I expected problems there.

But I had to correct a spot at the chin, as it shaves mild and shallow, going very steep and scraping is just not possible, I had to focus a bit to follow the chin.

The handle has a hole for a pin stand.

All in all a very effective but mild razor, I suspect many people will absolutely love it. Its odd appearance might make people hesitate to give it a try, but this is a very good razor and deserves more attention. 👍

@Halfbeard @Chelko @Shaun asleep @ClumsyBull

Congratulations with your new razor ! You did well shaving with "1" plate. The plate you shave with has it number facing up. Logical if you think about it. The moment you have base plate in your hands spin it around. You see the number and decide it is for today.
You can see without watching numbers the gap difference. Its big enough !

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Congratulations with your new razor ! You did well shaving with "1" plate. The plate you shave with has it number facing up. Logical if you think about it. The moment you have base plate in your hands spin it around. You see the number and decide it is for today.
You can see without watching numbers the gap difference. Its big enough !
Yes, seems you are right! I just flipped plates several times, the gap is higher when I see the "Yaqi DLC 1" >from below<.
When I see the "2" side from below, the gap is lower... :lemo:
Maybe I should have done that before assuming things and believing Yaqi started with the Yaqi print on the mild side.

Well, this is my bad! I am used to the Rockwell plates having the number BELOW the plate.
I am also surprised that Yaqi sends it by default with the aggressive gap.

@ClumsyBull seems Mr. @Halfbeard has important info to share, see above.

I found it a bit confusing as well.

You're in for a treat, the bigger gap's the better shaver.

Funny that you find the handle too short the thing is massive. But I prefer my handles on the shorter side.if you ever do buy a vintage NI or New then you won't like the handles. 😅

Top Bottom