What's new

Yaqi Bohemia

This razor is pretty much the opposite of what I prefer in a razor. It's got a huge head, long handle, and is heavy. Very heavy, 132g. It's an interesting looking razor that I liked the looks of but wasn't planning on picking one up, but here we are. I like the idea of trying a razor like the vintage Bohin. I have no idea if it shaves like an original.

The razor is solid, but feels balanced with good grip. I decided to start on the lower gap of .95 since this was the first shave, flip the plate and the gap is 1.35. New Rapira Swedish Super steel loaded and this shaves smooth. It's weird I feel blade but barely. I'm not sure if it's due to the massive comb on the guard but it's hard to judge the blade feel. You can tell it's cutting because you can hear it. It has a wide angle, I used it steep and tried different angles to shallow and it's hard to judge by feel and ended up steep. The razor works well for me all over untill you get under the nose and the nostrils. I ended up going in at an angle cross grain into the nostril. No nicks, but I did get a small spot of blood under the nose trying to squeeze the large head using pressure to go north and south. It stopped using alum.

This is only after the first shave, but it's still no stubble after 12 hours. I really want to flip the plate to the larger gap tomorrow just because I can. The .95 side felt gentle. I rode the comb trying different angles on a heavy razor with a long handle that would most likely draw blood on other razors. This razor is really unique looking and the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. It looks like someone stole the grill from a 40s Buick Super and used it as the blade guard. I normally like using lighter razors with shorter handles, but this really does feel good with the long handle and weight. 3rd image shows a Lupo 95 on the Timeless crown handle which is 90mm.

20230218_124447.jpg

20230218_124618.jpg

20230218_215341.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Thanks for sharing your impressions!

Razors are funny that way. Even after dozens of razors I am still very surprised how differently they might work out. Even the most educated guesses can be totally wrong with razors.

Razors, cats and women are among the many things that fascinate me. I am usually fascinated by things I do not fully understand. I am fascinated by a damn lot of things.

Yesterday I waited before posting to see how it felt later. I just shaved again with the 1.35 side and I'm still finding it's a good shave and I forgot to mention a few things.
The huge stainless head holds heat which feels nice. This makes sense because it does also look like an art deco radiator heater.
@Iridian might appreciate this handle which is 91mm and 75g by itself. It isn't knurled but the grooves and crosscut grooves aren't sharp but provide a good solid grip.

I do feel like this side shaves closer than the .95 side. It doesn't feel much more aggressive to me but I don't think it's for someone wanting a mild razor with no blade feel.

The head gives the blade a slight bend with minimal blade exposure. I don't feel or hear excessive blade chatter.

20230219_105844.jpg

I just ordered their stainless Mellon, $30 for polished steel? Why not!

I'm crossing my fingers for their take on the Fatip.
Agreed. The SS Mellon came in also but I already started using heavier razors with the Bohemian, or Behemoth? In route.

This looks very promising. What would you say it is comparable to?
I don't have anything comparable to this, because of the head size and combs are so large and rounded. The bend looks close to the Lupo, but the cap on the yaqi covers more blade and feels slightly more rigid.
The comb is also just so large and rounded it feels so smooth. There are people that don't like certain open combs or even scallops on the safety bar like the lupo because it feels scratchy. These round combs with soap feel like it's got smooth wheels massaging your face with gentle heat if you warmed it under the faucet.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I don't have anything comparable to this, because of the head size and combs are so large and rounded. The bend looks close to the Lupo, but the cap on the yaqi covers more blade and feels slightly more rigid.
The comb is also just so large and rounded it feels so smooth. There are people that don't like certain open combs or even scallops on the safety bar like the lupo because it feels scratchy. These round combs with soap feel like it's got smooth wheels massaging your face with gentle heat if you warmed it under the faucet.
Thanks for this. Are you able to compare it with anything else? I have a tough beard that requires a really efficient razors. Thanks!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Good review of your new Bohemia razor, it looks well built and is a adjustable razor also.
The closed comb is a good one but like you mentioned it is big. Great for folks who do not shave under the nose but most folks have a another razor for touch ups if needed under the nose.
The machining and QC on finish to design is very interesting and looks awesome to bring a idea from the past to the future and possibly improved version. The French razor design is possibly one of the first adjustable razors ever built many decades ago.
I wonder what year it came out?

Thanks for this. Are you able to compare it with anything else? I have a tough beard that requires a really efficient razors. Thanks!
Result wise I would put it around the Lupo 95 SB/OC, but it gets there so differently. For me it shaves as well as my Envoy. I am able to get under the nose but some may have issues or not want the extra hassle.

The machining and QC on finish to design is very interesting and looks awesome to bring a idea from the past to the future and possibly improved version. The French razor design is possibly one of the first adjustable razors ever built many decades ago.
I wonder what year it came out?
I was messaging someone about this razor earlier. They have one on the way and also have experience with the original. Hopefully they share their thoughts between the two. Their info said this was patented in 1937.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Result wise I would put it around the Lupo 95 SB/OC, but it gets there so differently. For me it shaves as well as my Envoy. I am able to get under the nose but some may have issues or not want the extra hassle.

I was messaging someone about this razor earlier. They have one on the way and also have experience with the original. Hopefully they share their thoughts between the two. Their info said this was patented in 1937.
this is high praise. the lup is held in high regard!

This razor is pretty much the opposite of what I prefer in a razor. It's got a huge head, long handle, and is heavy. Very heavy, 132g. It's an interesting looking razor that I liked the looks of but wasn't planning on picking one up, but here we are. I like the idea of trying a razor like the vintage Bohin. I have no idea if it shaves like an original.

The razor is solid, but feels balanced with good grip. I decided to start on the lower gap of .95 since this was the first shave, flip the plate and the gap is 1.35. New Rapira Swedish Super steel loaded and this shaves smooth. It's weird I feel blade but barely. I'm not sure if it's due to the massive comb on the guard but it's hard to judge the blade feel. You can tell it's cutting because you can hear it. It has a wide angle, I used it steep and tried different angles to shallow and it's hard to judge by feel and ended up steep. The razor works well for me all over untill you get under the nose and the nostrils. I ended up going in at an angle cross grain into the nostril. No nicks, but I did get a small spot of blood under the nose trying to squeeze the large head using pressure to go north and south. It stopped using alum.

This is only after the first shave, but it's still no stubble after 12 hours. I really want to flip the plate to the larger gap tomorrow just because I can. The .95 side felt gentle. I rode the comb trying different angles on a heavy razor with a long handle that would most likely draw blood on other razors. This razor is really unique looking and the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. It looks like someone stole the grill from a 40s Buick Super and used it as the blade guard. I normally like using lighter razors with shorter handles, but this really does feel good with the long handle and weight. 3rd image shows a Lupo 95 on the Timeless crown handle which is 90mm.
Thanks for your review!

I also have this razor.
I admit it was a RAD moment I had when I bought it, as it was like buying a book just for the cover.
So when I went to shave with it the first time, I was kind of expecting something aggressive, after all, an open comb and a high gap is a sign of bites, right?

How stupid of me!

I literally got a fool face when doing the "Fool's Pass"! How can such a brutal appearance have a touch of silk?
Comfortable, permissive and efficient. That's all I can say!

Despite imitating the french Bohin in the fantastic look, it is a totally different razor, I say this because it has construction material, geometry and size totally different.
1677159810188.png

1677159827358.png

Unfortunately due to the price and the infamy of chinese products it will be underrated , few will dare to discover how amazing it is!

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thanks for your review!

I also have this razor.
I admit it was a RAD moment I had when I bought it, as it was like buying a book just for the cover.
So when I went to shave with it the first time, I was kind of expecting something aggressive, after all, an open comb and a high gap is a sign of bites, right?

How stupid of me!

I literally got a fool face when doing the "Fool's Pass"! How can such a brutal appearance have a touch of silk?

Despite imitating the french Bohin in the fantastic look, it is a totally different razor, I say this because it has construction material, geometry and size totally different.
View attachment 1610558
View attachment 1610559
Unfortunately due to the price and the infamy of chinese products it will be underrated , few will dare to discover how amazing it is!
What would you say it is comparable to?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Unfortunately, yeah. I have quite some of these "infamous products" on my radar but funnily right now rather more on Chinese and Vietnamese trailrunning shoes. Juggling funds between various collections is a constant fight with a guilty conscience when the fun budget was already more than spent at the end of the previous month. :sneaky2:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I couldn't say for sure which razor it compares to... but my experience was a shave very close (if not equal) to my R41 / DS-Z0, but much more permissive and less blade feel, without requiring that static angle across the face.
Sounds incredibly promising. I'll have to add it to the short list of things to consider!

Thanks for your review!

I also have this razor.

How stupid of me!

View attachment 1610558
View attachment 1610559
Thanks for adding the picture of the Bohin next to the Yaqi. I didn't realize how much larger the Bohemia is.

I used this all week on the same blade and it really is a smooth and lasting shave. I did my usual 2 pass atg/xtg, and touch ups. I also was able to shave under the nostrils coming in at an angle. Because of the large comb you can buff really easy if you want to, the comb also holds a lot of leather to make buffing smoother.

I picked this up because I was looking for a different razor and this was on sale. I will definitely keep rotating this one in. Blade feels rigid but smooth and last 10+ hours for me, so it's a really good performing razor.

Top Bottom