What's new

Worthy of a resto?

Found this Ever-Ready 52C & 53 SS today for $10 total. Love the art deco look of the Ever-Ready and would love to put a nice quality Boar knot in it. I will look around this area for help but just wanted a little encouragement and assurance that it is both worth it and easily doable. Any source for measurements and where I can purchase a nice knot is appreciated.
..one more question, any idea of dates for these brushes?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Its a handsome handle, and well worth the effort to re-knot. TGN has some smaller boar knots that should fit it. However I'll let the Ever Ready experts tell you what one to pick out. Post pics when your done!

I can see how knots fit into handles that are just a "plug" style but am wondering how you set a knot in these hollow handle brushes? Does the knot thread through the bottom and out the opening as the inside looks like a huge wad of rubber compared to the small opening.

Found this Ever-Ready 52C & 53 SS today for $10 total. Love the art deco look of the Ever-Ready and would love to put a nice quality Boar knot in it. I will look around this area for help but just wanted a little encouragement and assurance that it is both worth it and easily doable. Any source for measurements and where I can purchase a nice knot is appreciated.

Those are very nice brushes and well worth the effort to restore.

I can see how knots fit into handles that are just a "plug" style but am wondering how you set a knot in these hollow handle brushes? Does the knot thread through the bottom and out the opening as the inside looks like a huge wad of rubber compared to the small opening.

I've done about a half dozen ER restores and they are easily done and fun to boot. What I do with these two piece models is....cut the old knot out and drill the base all the way through. Measure the opening and purchase the knot of your choice. Next, I set the depth with a cut down wine cork and then glue the new knot in. Good luck.

I've done about a half dozen ER restores and they are easily done and fun to boot. What I do with these two piece models is....cut the old knot out and drill the base all the way through. Measure the opening and purchase the knot of your choice. Next, I set the depth with a cut down wine cork and then glue the new knot in. Good luck.

I just drilled through the knot as well. Then you can fill the hollow handle with fast hardening epoxy. What you need to get is the 5 minute type epoxy at your local hardware store. Its in the package that looks like two plastic syringes side by side. You push the plunger and it mixes the epoxy and catalyst together perfectly. Make sure you stir it together in the brush handle. But taking a wine cork and pre setting the depth is a great idea. You wont have to use as much epoxy and the height will be set perfectly.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Great info Mates. I'll use both the epoxy and cork advice. I went to TGN and of course the one knot I'd like is sold out. Looks like a pretty tiny 20mm on the Ever-Ready. I'd love a knot similar to my Semogue 1305, any other source ideas?

Great brush!

If you like the handle and want to restore it then do so.

If you want certain knots, that can not be obtained from TGN or the original manufacturer, you may have to remove that knot from its current handle so you can install it in another.

Definetely worth restoring. :thumbup: See my wiki from my sig for some resources and posts that might assist you

P

Pjotr

Does anyone know what the white stuff is in these old 2-piece handles

I'm just in process of dong a Peerless two piece. Don't know what it is but it had a smell of Stockholm tar to it. The knot was set in a different material. Some sort of dark organic resin. I'm actually building up the inside to make a tight aperture to take a 20mm knot as if it was a solid piece created on a lathe. The alternative, filling the whole top with glue and putting the knot in that sort of scared me a bit because I had no way of judging how much to use. Too much and there's a danger it'll come oozing out the top. Too little and there'll be spaces inside the handle. I also got some pretty invaluable advice from our resident guru, Gary Young, regarding the amount of adhesive as follows:

You really need enough to bed the knot in 1/3 of the recess. The problem with too much glue is not just the seeping out but also it restricts the knot itself. You need a but of play beneath the surface to take the tension out of the hair.

When you think about it that makes total sense. I looked at my professionally made brushes and that's exactly how they were constructed. The glue line is definately below the the surface of the handle.

+1

This is what I do, use a wine cork trimmed to fit. I glue the cork, let it set, then glue in the knot.

Great fun collecting wine corks :thumbup1:

Great info Mates. I'll use both the epoxy and cork advice. I went to TGN and of course the one knot I'd like is sold out. Looks like a pretty tiny 20mm on the Ever-Ready. I'd love a knot similar to my Semogue 1305, any other source ideas?

Which TGN knot were you looking for Gunny ?

I had bought a 20mm from Tony and it is gathering dust. If it's the one you're looking for, let me know.

Top Bottom