What's new

Who thinks UK and England Gillettes are 'cooler' then the US made Gillettes?

They look better...they shave better...they are built better and they are heavier.

What's not to like?

Here are my English Gillettes: Flare Tips (II & one with a date code), Ball End, Jr, #70, Bulldog (no crack) and my prized Blue Tip Rocket :w00t:

I also own another minty Flare Tip Rocket (II) that was my Grandfather's. It only sees action on special occasions.

All but the #70 which was acquired via B&B trade, are local pick ups.

Those are beautiful razors Bruce. Thanks for sharing!:thumbup1:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I have only one "Made In England" Gillette and it's a Fat Handle Tech which is definitely a favorite. ShaveWiki implies that the baseplate is stamped steel on U.S.A made razors; Mine does not take a magnet so I assume it's nickel over brass. Can anybody enlighten me on this?

They look better...they shave better...they are built better and they are heavier...

Bruce beat me to it... They actually shave like they look!

Grandpas US '34 to the left followed by British #15, #16 and #22​

Life in my den is splendid indeed! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only one "Made In England" Gillette and it's a Fat Handle Tech which is definitely a favorite. ShaveWiki implies that the baseplate is stamped steel on U.S.A made razors; Mine does not take a magnet so I assume it's nickel over brass. Can anybody enlighten me on this?

Mike, I think those Flat Bottom English Techs made in the 40s are brass, just like the flat bottom NEWs made in the same period.

Well, at the moment I own 21 Brits! Bit bad by the Brit bug! Some NOS. I use one redtip and #16 in my rotation. I forgot the last one, therefore 2 pictures.
$20140928_152606.jpg$20140928_154409.jpg

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Thanks, Edgar! Mine is a later one and has the diamond shape "reinforcement" in the center of the baseplate (like the U.S.A ones), but your answer applies. ShaveWiki doesn't have info on "Made in England" Gillette Techs that I can find.

Thanks, Edgar! Mine is a later one and has the diamond shape "reinforcement" in the center of the baseplate (like the U.S.A ones), but your answer applies. ShaveWiki doesn't have info on "Made in England" Gillette Techs that I can find.

Sorry, my bad!! I thought you have a flat bottom English Tech, don't even know why I thought yours was a flat bottom ...

Anyway, well in that case I don't know. I have one of those English Techs with the diamond shaped base plate, but mine is aluminum (the base plate only). As for the others I really don't know.

I must confess that I do prefer the British made razors, with one exception.

I seem to be out of luck with getting hold of a decent British made Red tip so I have settled on my US made one. I am of the opinion that my US made Red tip is slightly more efficient than the British counterpart. Because I refer to an admittedly vague memory I might just be wrong or the victim of the 'warped baseplate syndrome'. I do think that my Red tip has a very distinctly presented balance point which makes it easy to 'flow' on the skin, even with a sharp blade.

Here it is with its British cousins:

UFO Colibri handle with some loose heads, British Rocket HD, US Red tip and British Aristocrat junior '49 (the heavy model)​

Last edited by a moderator:
I must confess that I do prefer the British made razors, with one exception.

I seem to be out of luck with getting hold of a decent British made Red tip so I have settled on my US made one. I am of the opinion that my US made Red tip is slightly more efficient than the British counterpart...

Interesting...I do have a US red tip and thought aboubt tracking down a UK one, until I saw the prices.

That said, my favorite razor is Canadian Made!

I think my Brit redtip's more efficient than my US made. Bladegap and weight's in favour to Brittania! 😀 I thinking about selling my US.

I think my Brit redtip's more efficient than my US made. Bladegap and weight's in favour to Brittania!  I thinking about selling my US.
This is what I have considered common wisdom on these boards. My experience is the opposite - what makes me think that I had a bad British Red tip... And so the hunt continues :blink: !

BTW Larzone: very nice collection of British shaving equipment!

This is what I have considered common wisdom on these boards. My experience is the opposite - what makes me think that I had a bad British Red tip... And so the hunt continues :blink: !

BTW Larzone: very nice collection of British shaving equipment!
Tack Bosse! :)

The last brit redtip I saw here in Sweden went for $39, a bit high in my opinion. Here in Sweden we pay to much, if you ask me, for Fatboys and Slims. Guess it's the same with british redtips when you're on the wrong side of the pond!

Last edited:
Geeze guys... It would have been a lot better for my budget to hear "nah, the U.S. Gillettes are all around better pieces." :lol: Even though I knew that wasnt the case before I started this thread! *Terence* has a Rocket, or a Parat, or a Aristocrat Jr... <----Havent looked at enough to know, point being, that the tto mechanism seems smoother, more solid if you will. All around sturdier feeling. Thats the one I have had the opportunity to touch. That being said, whos in the mood to PiF a british to an eager new wet shaver???!!!

J/K :lol:

They are beautiful razors though. Certainly my favorite of safety razors. The elegance, craftsmanship and quality is bar none.

I hate to se this thread go to soon! Please share your british razors.
These are all brit's but not in rotation, just a picture showing off! Please forgive me!:blush:
#15,#16,#21,#66,#58,#HD,#redtip,#47 and Aristocrat Jr.
I did the stand, by the way. A little bit Art Deco.
$20141002_120214~01.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom