What's new

Who thinks UK and England Gillettes are 'cooler' then the US made Gillettes?

Good Day Badger and Blade,

Over the last 3+ monthes I have been here I have ran into a rather serious case of RAD (not complaining just giving a little background) and with this RAD has come a bit of forced knowledge and novicely formed opinions. Naturally. One of them being that I think that the UK and England made Gillettes look better then the US made Gillettes. Its all about the aesthetics of the razors, I just think they LOOK 'cooler'. Does everybody think this? Whats your opinions on this? Is it that I just want something that is harder for me to get since I live in the US? Or am I onto something?

PS I realize the England is in the UK but there are UK made AND England made Gillettes 'I think' which is the reason for the unworldly sounding title.

Oh boy, Im so NEW!! :lol:

Last edited:
I agree with both options, they do look cooler IMO, and also in the US you guys tend to pay more for stuff that is more available in Europe. The opposite is also true, in Europe prices for Slims and Fatboys for example are even higher than in the US, much higher in some cases.

But yeah, English made Gillette look great, but there are some really cool American ones too. Then again, the American razors I like were also made in England (the NEW for example) :lol:.

I have shopped EBay UK. For a while, and the GILLETTE razors are almost always much higher over there, especially Fatboys and any adjustable. Unless it's listed as just an antique or vintage razor. But, I will say, I have enjoyed the abundance of Wilkinson Sword Empire Razors, they have to offer. I would pay here for Wilkinson Sword, around $50-$75. Ordering it from the UK, would run $7-$15. Also they don't seem to abuse their razors, like people here do. They also seem to be more honest about the condition of their razor, they don't seem to try to rip people off, like so many on our eBay.

Almost forgot the original point of the thread. The handles on English Gillette's are much prettier, in my opinion. The machine work is more intricate, better designs, and not so utilitarian looking like the USA made Gillettes.

I also think the Flare Tip Rockets look cooler than regular US Super Speed Flare Tips, even though the English folks made both versions.

The Red Rocket is a TTO I would buy, even though I don't use them, but scarce as they are the prices are always much higher than what I would be willing to drop on one.

I have shopped EBay UK. For a while, and the GILLETTE razors are almost always much higher over there, especially Fatboys and any adjustable. Unless it's listed as just an antique or vintage razor. But, I will say, I have enjoyed the abundance of Wilkinson Sword Empire Razors, they have to offer. I would pay here for Wilkinson Sword, around $50-$75. Ordering it from the UK, would run $7-$15. Also they don't seem to abuse their razors, like people here do. They also seem to be more honest about the condition of their razor, they don't seem to try to rip people off, like so many on our eBay.

Okay, but the Brits on eBay take fewer pictures. Sometimes, they include only one pic. Why?

I'd take my English Rockets over their American counterparts any day of the week - fabulous shavers.

I like these three razors so much, I have a back-up for each one.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have the British aristocrat #21, #58 set and 1949 rocket. I'm totally sold.
Hm... I might have to get rid of my slim... :bored:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Ok, I'll admit that the numbered Brits are nice razors, and I have two. I think part of the difference is the plating. Rhodesia was once a subjugated part of the British Empire, and as such sent much of its resources to Mother England. Having the rhodium for a plating makes them nicer, to my eye.

Okay, but the Brits on eBay take fewer pictures. Sometimes, they include only one pic. Why?

I have only run into that a couple of times. These are usually people who were new to EBay UK., and didn't understand the more photos, the better the sales. I asked about getting more pictures, and was emailed several. Works in my favor, fewer bids. You can send them messages and they are happy to tell you the whole story of how they got the razor, and all about themselves, and where they live. Most are willing to ship to the USA you ask politely, and usually they charge just what it costs them to ship. Only once'was someone trying to profit from the shipping, and I let him know, it wouldn't sell because of this. He reposted it three times, no sale, then he agreed to ship at the correct rate. I bought it at a reasonable price. If I had done that here, with our eBay, the razor would have arrived broken, mysteriously.

A Flare Tip Rocket would probably be a good place to start my UK collection. I am interested in comparing it to the US version. I never even though of them as different, other then the origin, they look the same. But, I guess they all do until you really start to look at them. I have a US flare tip (super speed) from 1957 (C) and 1961 (G), even they have their differences. I would love to compare a Flare tip rocket to its foreign sisters... One day I will be comparing them ALLL!! MooHooHAHAHA!!!! (see below)

Key word: Hahaha (yea right!) :lol:

Last edited:
Back in the day, England was England and not the uk. It's not so much about cooler. They are made better and shave better.

If I was to try to make a comparison the 40's superspeed (or any SS) vs a rocket, the rocket wins hands down. There is an element of ymmv in this, of course

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Not sure when the Brits last made a quality product for the commoners. I have a gaggle of Simpson's brushes, but they are hardly mid-market. Yea, I understand that a Rolls is a fairly good ride for an old person, but for what they go for I could build one meself. My memories of British craftsmanship include an Austin Bug Eye Sprite (rusted out at six years), Lucas (on fire in the fifth year, ), and a buddy's Triumph Spitfire (worse than the Sprite). Can't recall the brand of the crappy carbs ..

I guess Gillette England were made for the gentry, rather than the rabble, and if they made any for the hoi polloi, they have like the referenced Sprite already combined themselves with the atmosphere

They look better...they shave better...they are built better and they are heavier.

What's not to like?

Here are my English Gillettes: Flare Tips (II & one with a date code), Ball End, Jr, #70, Bulldog (no crack) and my prized Blue Tip Rocket :w00t:

I also own another minty Flare Tip Rocket (II) that was my Grandfather's. It only sees action on special occasions.

All but the #70 which was acquired via B&B trade, are local pick ups.

$uploadfromtaptalk1411873056384.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom