What's new

We want what we can’t have

Hello people of B&B!

You know what i love the most about this hobby?
The razors, and lately i have been on a kick with vintage gillette razors. My wallet is crying but at last i am happy for the time being 😃. I even manage to catch a NOS british flare tip. Still skeptic about it being NOS, i think it might just have been re-plated, but oh well 50 euro for a re-plated British flare tip not to bad 😏. I guess i will seen when it arrives.

But do you know what is my second favourite thing about this hobby?
Razor blades(you thought for a moment i had post in the wrong section🤭 )
I have find the “ultimate” blade for me and that is the Wizamet super iridium. But here i am thinking what should i buy next.
Despite having find the perfect fit i still wanna try other blades, i know that is not likely that i will find something better than the Wizamet in my search, but thats not the point. I enjoy using different blades. Feather are still one of my favourite. Are they as smooth as Wiz? No. But still thats something about that super sharp edge that destroys every hair in its way that is magical for me. Each blades has its attributes and has that razor that makes it amazing to use in combination. Unfortunately the last one I bought left me a feel a bit meh. The perma-sharp was a big let down from me. The hype i had for them disappeared really fast when i got to use them. The are not a bad blade by any metric, they are just boring nothing special.

So here i am thinking what to buy next. Buy another 120 Wizamet to add to my stash? Maybe try some blades from the ones they have on razorbladeclub? Or grab that deal for 6 euro 100 pack of Astra and 6 euro for 100 pack of Bic? But like the title says, I want something I can’t have. Every time when i think what blade to try from the myriad of interesting options out there, i always think about the gillette super thin mejorada. And like you already know they are only sell in Brazil🙃. I also discover the gillette rubie ultra stainless made for the Philippines market, and lets not talk about the gillette platinum plus. I don’t want the silver blues or the 7 o’clock i can get them whenever i want. I want what my hands can’t reach, i want what makes my brain tingle, i want what makes my whiskers tremble and what makes my blood flow. And here am i left with this visceral feeling of void. Some things…. are not meant to be.

What do you want🫵, but can’t have?
What the thing that makes you feel the void induced by this consumerism mentality? Forced to us by this greedy capitalist world.

My shave motto should be: "Stop me before I spend again!"
I've hit a slight stutter in my razor/blade/soap/brush spending. But I can feel the Forces Of Evil working on me again, sitting on my shoulder and whispering, "C'mon, Dan. Just one more vintage Gillette. How about a Slim Adjustable or a Fat Boy? Hmmmmmmmm???"

I do feel differently about blades than other aspects of shaving in a way. With blades it's like a buffet of goodness and I never really feel a need to have a favorite or stick to one blade. It's like sampling candies or cheese or something, just because you like one doesn't mean you can't enjoy another as well. If you run into a new blade you don't like, move on whenever you feel like it and there's not really much cost. If you find a new blade you do like, well now you've just got another blade to like.

I can get 100 Perma-Sharps for $10. That's really pretty reasonable.

I try to remember this...

1692064742090.png

I personally always think ''oh this blade is great, but surely there is something better out there!''. But really, I'm slowly getting tired and I'm about ready to settle on one brand. Currently, I just feel the urge to just stick with the German Wilkies which are in every supermarket here and that's it. The Russian Gillettes are no longer available here, even if I wanted to buy them.

I think my days of getting random blade packs from random parts of the world are over, especially since I vote with my wallet on things happening in those parts of the world.

For me it was a 20's and older Gillette that didnt have a cracked handle.

But I ended up buying one that despite having a slightly cracked handle, the top and baseplate were clean and shiny and it was only 12 bucks.

Ended up getting it and just sharing a handle with my silver tech.

You better stock up on Wizamets. They are only produced in the fall. The last run was in fall 2022. Will Gillette produce them in Russian in fall 2023? Or will they be remade in India (and different/better/worse)? Or just dropped?
There still seem to be a lot of leftover from last year, as of now i have one seller that is selling them for a reasonable price, 15 €/17.5€ shipped for a 120 stack. I might buy a stack this month and maybe another one next month 300+ should last me for years to come since I don’t intend to use only wiz anyway.

There still seem to be a lot of leftover from last year, as of now i have one seller that is selling them for a reasonable price, 15 €/17.5€ shipped for a 120 stack. I might buy a stack this month and maybe another one next month 300+ should last me for years to come since I don’t intend to use only wiz anyway.
Yep. I ordered 250 from Parfum Lux a few months ago. I think that should do me right. Not my primary blade, so no worries if they are discontinued.

Also, grab the 6 Euro Bics too! However, I would be careful who you purchase them from. I had a similar offer and ended up getting fakes. The fakes were terrible and I burned money. I ordered two boxes, and it was a a bit like tuition.

Wizamets are also my #1 but Silver Blues are a very close second. I'm stocked up. What I want and can't have/find is a nice Big Boy Chromium New Deluxe. Sooner or later...

What we can't have?

A few tucks of these for future "Tiger Weeks" but they've been off the market for many moons.
917SF6oU1xL.jpg

Honestly, I just love the graphics. :001_wub:

Top Bottom