What's new

Which single stack 9?

Was looking at the Ruger LC9s, Glock 43, S&W Shield, Walther PPS M2, Kahr CW9.
I haven't read the 4 pages but of your choices the standout picks are the Shield and the G43. In terms of reliability and track record, both of those stand out against the ruger and especially the cw9. The shield is perhaps the best selling single stack of all time. The Walther PPS M2 is nice but aftermarket support is minimal and it is as heavy as a G26 - and most people buy single stacks for both their lighter weight and slimmer design.

The Glock 43 is the the smallest, lightest weight, most reliable of your options and if specs on paper are the most important, it's your choice. That being said, I found the Shield to have less recoil because of the larger grip front to aft which gave me more room for my support hand to get traction for recoil control. It is also equally reliable. I solved this problem with a Hogue grip sleeve on the g43 which worked wonders. Also, with tango down g43 mag extensions (and springs) you have the most flexible package available - a super light and small (6 round mag) gun or an 8 round gun if your wardrobe allows.

I carry the Seecamp .380 everyday. The Ruger LC9s has more rounded edges for IWB so I settled on that one as a larger caliber alternate. XDMan gave the slide a patriotic flavor.
IMG_20180714_125801.jpg

When I went shopping I ended up with the XDS. At the time only the first version PPS was out and I didn't like the magazine release. They were sold out of the Shield and there was a waiting list. The XDS felt fine to me and was reliable and easy to shoot accurately and was being sold at the same price as the other two. All was well until I started reading forums and seeing the overwhelming consensus that the XDS is poorly designed, badly made and won't be durable. All my friends ended up carrying the Shield. I wish I had just gotten on the list and waited it out too. At this point I'm stuck with a carry pistol I don't feel confident about anymore. I have shot about 300 rounds through it at the range and don't want to even practice anymore for fear things might start to break. Another pistol purchase wouldn't be responsible budget wise right now so I'm considering getting a holster made for my old Bulgarian Makarov. 9x18 would be a demotion in performance but it is accurate, totally reliable and feeds hollow points just fine.

I have been keeping up on the P365 updates and about it's issues since February of this year. From everything I have gleaned from Sig forums, Youtube and the like, sounds like Sig has addressed every problem found. From what I read currently, there have been no issues with pistols who's manufactured 'born on dates' since the 1st of May.

The Sig P365 I just acquired, has a born on date of July 15th. So I will be finding out on my own, soon enough.

If it breaks in a new area that hasn't ever been reported, it won't be Sig's fault, it will be mine. :)

the 235 is nice, but the 225 is proven, and you can get german police turn ins on the cheap. they call them somehting else, like P7 or something.

C143B801-72E8-4951-8BEF-54572B1931C8.jpeg
9F33D2B5-D813-4C69-8EE5-5C5ABA47A008.jpeg

If one is vetting a single stack pistol, width is surely an issue.
Consider the attached graphics and keep in mind the 10 round SIG P365 is esstntially the same thickness as the Glock 43.

E28D2962-31DF-4134-B22B-6C9D99A8B99B.jpeg

L to R-Shield, G43, P365

Some additional data.....
Measurement Sig P 365 Glock 43 S&W Shield

Length 5.82 6.31 6.25

Height (including sights) 4.31 4.25 4.62

Width (widest point) 1.11 1.36 1.03

Grip Width (average) .99 .92 .94

Weight (oz) 18.5 18 20.5

Was looking at the Ruger LC9s, Glock 43, S&W Shield, Walther PPS M2, Kahr CW9.
I'd also take a look at the Springfield XDs and the SIG P225 which I understand is now back in production to replace the P239 which has been taken out of production.

I own a PPS and a Kahr PM9 as well as an XDs and a SIG p239. Of all, I prefer the P239 because (a) I like a metal frame even if it is aluminum because it dampens recoil somewhat, and (b) because I am one of those who actually likes the DA/SA trigger. All of that said, I wouldn't buy any of them until i've shot all of them.

Top Bottom