What's new

Which bay rum should I get? Here are my options:

I'm looking for an authentic, old school bay rum and can't really afford anything fancy. My criteria is: Longevity, sillage, and quality of the scent. Prefer something that smells a lot like bay, rather than pure clove, although some clove is definitely fine. I also like a decent burn, but not too extreme. My options are:
Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Gabels Bay Rum
Stephan Bay Rum
Master Bay Rum
Superior 70
Out of these, which would you reccomend?

Bay rum is fleeting IMHO. There's no sillage as far as I can tell. The only person who will notice it on you is a wife or girlfriend that comes in close for a kiss. It will be there, and from my personal experience, they will like it.

From your list I can only recommend the Stephans but it's a bit artificial. I imagine the rest are as well.

Off-list I'd recommend Dominica but since it's not available these days (nor may ever be again) I'd recommend the Grand Bay Rum that the Dominica seller in the US has ordered up to replace it.

Grand Bay is much more expensive than the ones you have mentioned but I think it fits what you want more accurately.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Another off-list suggestion is Rooster’s Nest Bourbon Bay Rum. It’s not a long lasting scent, but the scent is awesome...kind of smoky. Here’s the description:

“Made from a 1922 barber formula. This mix is about as strong as it can get-and then we threw some bourbon in for fragrance. Aged for three months in a real life Kentucky bourbon barrel.“

Great stuff. I also like Clubman and Captain’s Choice, but neither smell as good (to me) as Roosters Nest.

The finest BR I have in my rotation is Stirling. Great scent, long lasting, inexpensive, and comes in a glass bottle. It has it all.

dbb0e8fe920a7ddb4aef14a5afb50c3a.jpg
0e9b0e9978c0d56ae82f40af186d7191.jpg

I’m surprised you don’t have Captain’s Choice in the list. Pretty good stuff. That’s what I have and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the Superior 70 and find a bottle of vintage Avon Tribute aftershave and mix up some of my concoction. Mix 4 parts Sup 70 with 1 part Tribute. Both ingredients are reasonably priced.

If you want to just buy a good BR get Captains Choice Cat ONine tails.

To make things even more complicated, you could consider Ogallala BR: many interesting options IMO!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I'm looking for an authentic, old school bay rum and can't really afford anything fancy. My criteria is: Longevity, sillage, and quality of the scent. Prefer something that smells a lot like bay, rather than pure clove, although some clove is definitely fine. I also like a decent burn, but not too extreme. My options are:
Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Gabels Bay Rum
Stephan Bay Rum
Master Bay Rum
Superior 70

From your post.

1. can't really afford anything fancy.
2. My criteria is: Longevity, sillage, and quality of the scent.
3. Prefer something that smells a lot like bay, rather than pure clove, although some clove is definitely fine.
4. I also like a decent burn, but not too extreme.

Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum.

Top Bottom