What's new

Want to make a Bay Rum Shaving Soap

I have had great success making nicely scented shaving soap using Brambleberry Melt & Pour Shaving Soap and mixing it with a body wash to provide the desired scent. I have had especially good luck with Old Spice, Irish Spring, and the body wash found sometimes in Hilton branded hotels.

I prefer a scent that doesn't have too much clove. For example Ogallala and Captain's Choice are way too clovie for me. Pinaud VIBR is fine with me although many report it is too clovie for them. Perhaps my favorite Bay Rum aftershave is Bootlegger's (equal parts of VIBR, Superior 70, and Masters). Col Conk's Bay Rum after shave is also a favorite.

Of the few Bay Rum body washes out there does anyone have any opinions as to which ones I might like?

For the curious, using a Melt and Pour shaving soap base with body wash is simple. Melt a 4 oz chunk of melt and pour in the microwave in you intended mug or other container for about 20 to 30 seconds until liquid then add 2 to 3 tablespoons of body wash and mix it in. Usually sets up in about 30 to 60 minutes.

Also I have a soap scent labeled as Bay Rum that I use for this too and I like it but the scent is more toward Old Spice. Nice, but not what I'm after.

I ordered from The Soap Exchange in Fort Worth, Texas. I noticed that they also sell shaving soap. Has anyone had experience with TSE Bay Rum Shaving Soap? Anyone know shat it's scent profile is like?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I love Bay Rum.....

Does that company that makes huge bar soap make a Bay Rum? Am I thinking of Duke Cannon?

If I'm nuts, I'm sorry..... I guess I should have looked it up before posting my friend!

I love Bay Rum.....

Does that company that makes huge bar soap make a Bay Rum? Am I thinking of Duke Cannon?

If I'm nuts, I'm sorry..... I guess I should have looked it up before posting my friend!

Duke Cannon does indeed make both a bar soap and a body was with a bay rum scent. It is available on Amazon. Other than that, I know nothing about it.

Never had experience with TSE Bay Rum, but had experience with their Texas Leather. For a tallow based soap, it is a mediocre soap at best.

I'll have to look into some of this melt and pour of which you speak. If it is as easy as you say, I can think of many scents to add to this stuff.

The TSE body wash doesn't smell anything like any bay rum I've encountered. I emailed them with this comment, wondering it was mislabeled. To my surprise they sent me another bottle and it still seems the same.

I tried using it for making a shaving soap anyway and found the resulting product unsatisfying.

While still trying to find something that will scratch that itch, I discovered Cremo Bourbon Vanilla Shaving Cream. I have shaved with it a few times. It isn't a bay rum, but it is delightful. Further searching found this scent is available as a bath gel and I'm moving to locate it. WalMart carries it, but it isn't stocked everywhere. It looks like I can order it from WalMart, but it has a pesky $35.00 minimum order. I'm going to see if the family needs anything else from WalMart before placing the order.

Anyway although not exactly what I was after I may be on the trail to something that may be every bit as delightful.

Top Bottom