What's new

Another Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum Review

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Me again! Is Relampago Medicado Alcolado a substitute for the Superior 70 Bay Rum?

Have spent several days on and off searching for the Dr Sana's Bay Rum (which looks suspiciously identical to Superior 70 BR!) without success. It also seems to be sold out :(

I did manage to find some Benjamins Bay Rum (non menthol version) which i have also ordered

Relampago Medicado Alcolado has Menthol and Camphor. It is not similar to the the others you mentioned. :)

So I've been studying up on the bay rum and all the different variations. According to my notes the pimento racemose bay leaf contains a lot of methyl eugenol in its chemical makeup. Anything containing methyl eugenol has been banned in fragrance use (FDA and IFRA regulations). So we may not see Superior 70 or other authentic bay rums anytime soon. You can still buy the pimenta racemosa essential oil from various places - Perfumer's Apprentice has it.

I could be wrong and maybe it is a supply chain issue as to why we haven't seen it in a while.

Link to Pimenta Racemosa chemical makeup.

Link to Wikipedia about Methyl Eugenol. It is considered a carcinogen.

If you can get some perfumer's alcohol or if you have Everclear 190 proof in your area then you could mix 10% or less (my guess) of Bay Leaf Oil (pimenta racemosa) with the alcohol. The percentage is by weight and not volume.

This is the more expensive route to replace Superior 70 as it has become unobtainable. I'm not sure what this means for companies like St. Johns and others who use bay leaf oil in their formulas. If things don't smell like they used to then it is mostly likely due to the restrictions.

OkieStubble

The only reason Superior 70 has been difficult to obtain that I was aware of, was because of the Hurricane that hit Puerto Rico awhile back, had interrupted both manufacturing and the shipping lines.

Hearing about an ingredient that is carcinogenic is worrisome. I now wonder if other Bay Rum brands are being effected by this news?

OkieStubble

So I've been studying up on the bay rum and all the different variations. According to my notes the pimento racemose bay leaf contains a lot of methyl eugenol in its chemical makeup. Anything containing methyl eugenol has been banned in fragrance use (FDA and IFRA regulations). So we may not see Superior 70 or other authentic bay rums anytime soon. You can still buy the pimenta racemosa essential oil from various places - Perfumer's Apprentice has it.

I could be wrong and maybe it is a supply chain issue as to why we haven't seen it in a while.

Link to Pimenta Racemosa chemical makeup.

Link to Wikipedia about Methyl Eugenol. It is considered a carcinogen.

If you can get some perfumer's alcohol or if you have Everclear 190 proof in your area then you could mix 10% or less (my guess) of Bay Leaf Oil (pimenta racemosa) with the alcohol. The percentage is by weight and not volume.

This is the more expensive route to replace Superior 70 as it has become unobtainable. I'm not sure what this means for companies like St. Johns and others who use bay leaf oil in their formulas. If things don't smell like they used to then it is mostly likely due to the restrictions.

After studying the links you provided, my conclusion is there just wasn’t enough data provided to show there is enough of the toxic methyl eugenol to warrant enough concern.

Here is why:

1. While Methyl Eugenol is a naturally occurring substance in Pimenta Racemosa, the links you provided, only shows the FDA’s concerns of the synthetic form of Methyl Eugenol, of which they specifically state of the synthetic form and being in an edible food product.

There is nothing specific about any concerns of the natural occurring Methyl Eugenol, other then the concentrated form of an essential oil, which they again say is toxic.

However, many natural essential oils are and can be toxic and must be diluted down with a carrier oil in order to render it safe. This is common knowledge amongst essential oils enthusiasts.

There is no information I see, to conclude that once it’s watered down in an aftershave strength, that it poses any concerns to anyone?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I honestly thought Superior 70 became scarce because folks were buying it up to make hand sanitizer for the pandemic.

I think it may definitely depend on where the product is manufactured. I think the FDA has only restricted methyl eugenol in flavorings. I haven't been able to find the restriction for fragrances.

The IFRA has restricted it a while back. Another thread on Basenotes talks about it. Another search on Basenotes brings up other questions about using oils that contain methyl eugenol. IFRA restrictions are voluntary.

It may be fine in an aftershave. I am trying to make a Bay Rum from scratch so part of my research is to make sure I make something at a safe level. I may not ever sell it but I'd hate to give a sample as a gift and for it to cause cancer.

Perfumer's Apprentice says that it can be used at 10% in the concentration which then would get diluted down some more. I think aftershaves typically contain 1-3% of fragrance. EDCs are in the 2-6% range. This may put the methyl eugenol in a safe range.

When I created my Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum, I tried many different lime aftershaves before settling on Pinaud Citrus Musk. Lime Sec is way too sweet in my opinion, more like a candy lime. But if you like it in PVIBR, that's really all that matters. :)
Ah. This answers the question I posed a few minutes ago.

JCarr

Superior 70 is once again readily available, so you should be able to make the fantabulous Bootlegger's Bay Rum mix now without any trouble getting a hold of the three ingredients.

JCarr

I do keep multiples. Mine is probably more drug, thrift and antique store and yours is probably more Artisan? :)

Well...in the bathroom it's a mix of drugstore and artisan...those that are used less. But in the bedroom it's predominantly artisan with a smattering of drugstore...those most used.

Top Bottom