What's new

Bootleggers bay rum?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Besides glycerin, what ingredient do the other 2 add that increases the longevity?

What do the other 2 add to what? To the PVIBR? Or to my Bootlegger's Bay Rum? The question you are over looking @P-51G t is, "what does PVIBR add to the "other" 2 that increases their longevity? :)

If you like and are satisfied with PVIBR, then don't fix what isn't broken for you. But if I tell you, it is the "ingredient of Synergy" that creates it's longevity of all three when mixed into Bootlegger's, how are you going to believe or understand that concept, without trying it?

There is an old saying, "don't knock it if you haven't tried it."

So I take it its just glycerin.

If you do, then you would simply be wrong. Bootlegger's is a very smooth and rich scent. Richness of scent can and will increase longevity. All bay rums sir, are famous for not lasting very long in scent. It is just inherent in their nature.

But many here can testify, Bootlegger's Bay Rum, more then compete's with the very best of them. I don't and have never claimed Bootlegger's is the best to be had. That would be an arrogant claim for any bay rum, as there are too many good ones out there; and individual tastes vary more with scent, then with blades, razors or any other shaving product.

But I can claim, you won't find a better bay rum out there, that can/will compete with the quality of my Bootlegger's in the amount you can get and at the price point and value you will pay, when mixing up Bootlegger's.

If you feel like your PVIBR is lacking something, then step out in faith of the many threads, posts, reviews and members, which bare witness to how good it is and try it? If you are satisfied with your bay rum, then I'm happy you found your Bay Rum and am more puzzled then ever, by the insistent nature of your continued inquiry?

Last edited:
What do the other 2 add to what? To the PVIBR? Or to my Bootlegger's Bay Rum? The question you are over looking @P-51G t is, "what does PVIBR add to the "other" 2 that increases their longevity? :)

If you like and are satisfied with PVIBR, then don't fix what isn't broken for you. But if I tell you, it is the "ingredient of Synergy" that creates it's longevity of all three when mixed into Bootlegger's, how are you going to believe or understand that concept, without trying it?
I'm satisfied with the smell, not so much with the longevity.
There is an old saying, "don't knock it if you haven't tried it."
I never did.
OP asked opinions, I said it would dilute vibr's scent

If you do, then you would simply be wrong. Bootlegger's is a very smooth and rich scent. Richness of scent can and will increase longevity. All bay rums sir, are famous for not lasting very long in scent. It is just inherent in their nature.

But many here can testify, Bootlegger's Bay Rum, more then compete's with the very best of them. I don't and have never claimed Bootlegger's is the best to be had. That would be an arrogant claim for any bay rum, as there are too many good ones out there; and individual tastes vary more with scent, then with blades, razors or any other shaving product.

But I can claim, you won't find a better bay rum out there, that can/will compete with the quality of my Bootlegger's in the amount you can get and at the price point and value you will pay, when mixing up Bootlegger's.

If you feel like your PVIBR is lacking something, then step out in faith of the many threads, posts, reviews and members, which bare witness to how good it is and try it? If you are satisfied with your bay rum, then I'm happy you found your Bay Rum and am more puzzled then ever, by the insistent nature of your continued inquiry?
To vibr. You said "adding the other two also increases the longevity, and the actual real Bay Rum oils which gives the mix it's smooth and classic bay rum scent and bay rum feel."
And I asked what ingredient do the other 2 have that increases the longevity.
Like I said, I like vibr scent just wish it had more longevity. So when you said "adding the other two also increases the longevity" I thought if there was some other ingredient besides glycerin in masters or superior that I could add that increases longevity. Basically I'm trying to find that ingredient.
I apologise for asking a question
I see that a straight forward answer will not be given so don't bother replying.

OkieStubble

To vibr. You said "adding the other two also increases the longevity, and the actual real Bay Rum oils which gives the mix it's smooth and classic bay rum scent and bay rum feel."
And I asked what ingredient do the other 2 have that increases the longevity.
Like I said, I like vibr scent just wish it had more longevity. So when you said "adding the other two also increases the longevity" I thought if there was some other ingredient besides glycerin in masters or superior that I could add that increases longevity. Basically I'm trying to find that ingredient.
I apologise for asking a question
I see that a straight forward answer will not be given so don't bother replying.

Too late. :) I apologize for any misunderstanding. I don't think one of us is wrong or right, I think sometimes, both people can be both wrong or they both can be absolutely right according to their individual perspectives.

It seems to me, you are thinking one of the three ingredients "alone" has to be responsible for it's longevity? Or maybe even two of the ingredients added to the third, is responsible? Where I have said several times, in this present thread and in past threads, that "the sum of all three" synergize and it's the sum of all three that "creates it's longevity."

Again, I have never claimed it's the best or it's the longest lasting because no Bay Rum can claim that. I only claim it's scent and longevity, competes with other, more expensive and quality Bay Rums that are out there.

I apologize sir, that you don't feel that answer is adequate for you, I always try to be as honest and straight forward as I can about all of my mixes in the Bootlegger's Series. I have to be honest and tell you, I am very confused by your insistent and adversarial approach, But unless you are willing to step out and just try it to see for yourself, which I think would help better in answering any questions you have.

There's an old saying, "the proof is in the pudding." :) If you would PM me your mailing address, I would be more than happy to send you some generous samples of the entire Bootlegger's series. Then you wouldn't have to invest any of your own efforts, in trying them and getting your questions answered.

-Rob

And I apologise to you.
I appreciate the offer of samples but I am trying to trim down the rotation. Actually hate to say it but vibr might be kicked to the curb and replaced with ogallala.
I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
Happy shaves and tight lines ( if your a fisherman) :)

OkieStubble

And I apologise to you.
I appreciate the offer of samples but I am trying to trim down the rotation. Actually hate to say it but vibr might be kicked to the curb and replaced with ogallala.
I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
Happy shaves and tight lines ( if your a fisherman) :)

The offer always stands. Ogallala is a very fine bay rum. :)

Ingredients have been ordered since I can't find them locally. Original bootleggers recipe but no variants, unfortunately.

Ignorant question here. I just bought the supplies to make all of the Bootleggers formulas (aside from Arctic Freeze). For the lime formulas, is eau de cologne or the after shave version of Citrus Musk and Lime Sec used? I got the after shave versions, and they're friggin expensive for what they are. I already dropped a small fortune for Vito's (not to mention the other liquid).

OkieStubble

Ignorant question here. I just bought the supplies to make all of the Bootleggers formulas (aside from Arctic Freeze). For the lime formulas, is eau de cologne or the after shave version of Citrus Musk and Lime Sec used? I got the after shave versions, and they're friggin expensive for what they are. I already dropped a small fortune for Vito's (not to mention the other liquid).

Not an ignorant question at all. There isn't an "Artic Freeze". There is a "Green Freeze" Which is equal parts of Osage Rub and Mennen Skin Bracer. Then there is, "Artic Lime Blast" Which is equal parts of Osage Rub and Pinaud Lime Sec.

Both, are excellent summertime scents with the wonderful cooling power of menthol for hot, humid, sticky weather. :)

OkieStubble

If your intent is in making Bootlegger's Perfecto, I hope the Vito's you purchased was the Vito's Tobacco and not just the regular Vito's Colonia? Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia and Maduro, Has the Vito's Tobacco, which has become almost impossible to obtain anymore.

Yeah, sorry. Arctic Lime Blast. Also, the Lime Bay Rum. Do those use the Penaud lime/citrus after shave or cologne?

Seems I really screwed up on the Vito's. They're not the Tobacco kind. Damn.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Do those use the Penaud lime/citrus after shave or cologne?

Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum, requires the use of Pinaud's Citrus Musk, not Pinaud's Lime Sec. Many lime aftershaves were tried, but the Citrus Musk from Pinaud was chosen and the synergistic effect is quite amazing! :)

OkieStubble

Seems I really screwed up on the Vito's. They're not the Tobacco kind. Damn.

Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia, is a wonderful, light and breezy summertime bay rum which has a non spicy and non clovey bay rum foundation, with notes of orange citrus and green tobacco flower. It is truly, an amazing bay rum.

Vitos Tobacco can still be found internationally, but products overseas that contain alcohol will/can not be shipped/mailed to the CONUS. Back when the last vendor could be found to obtain it, I liked the Perfecto enough to obtain a lifetime supply in order to mix up for myself.

I don't know if there are others who liked the Bootlegger's Perfecto's, did.

Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum, requires the use of Pinaud's Citrus Musk, not Pinaud's Lime Sec. Many lime aftershaves were tried, but the Citrus Musk from Pinaud was chosen and the synergistic effect is quite amazing! :)
I got the Citrus Musk. I was just hoping it was the after shave, which I got, and not the cologne. Though, the after shave is rather pricey as I can only find it in a rather small bottle.

I'm trying to return the Vito's, but the shipping might make it not worth it. Quite disappointed to not make the Virginia and Robusto, as I got all the supplies to make them aside from Dorking up the Vito's order.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Bootlegger's is still picking up steam! You won't be disappointed. Longevity is so much better than the individual ingredients and scent is great! Happy shaves!

OkieStubble

Bootlegger's is still picking up steam! You won't be disappointed. Longevity is so much better than the individual ingredients and scent is great! Happy shaves!

You have become a Bay Rum Connoisseur in your time here, So this means alot! I'm glad you like it. :)

Well, if you love everything about PVIBR and you don’t feel like it’s missing anything, then there isn’t a reason to change up anything. Bootleggers’ Bay Rum was created for those who:

1. Love the spice and scent of PVIBR, but wish it had better moisturizing properties and face feel and didn’t burn like hell fire when they splash it on.

2. Those that like the simple bay rum scent of Master bay rum, but wish the scent longevity lasted more then 30 seconds. And while Master has glycerin for moisturizer it has SO much glycerin, it makes the face feel sticky and tacky after the dry down.

3. Superior 70 is just Bay Rum oil and alcohol. Alone, it’s more of a medicinal splash then an aftershave. No face feel goodies or longevity at all.

4. But while all three of these have one or two qualities, none of them act as a complete bay rum aftershave on their own. However, all three are cheap in price. And when you mix them together, something wonderful happens. The individual brands, synergistically become magic when mixed together and become much greater together then they ever were by themselves.

5. Together, Bootleggers’ Bay Rum rivals other, more expensive bay rums.
And for the cheap price that it can be purchased for the price, a lifetime amount of a great bay rum with a great classic bay rum scent, that has plenty of longevity, excellent face feel and can be mixed for just pennies on the dollar.
I haven't been able to find the individual AS components for less than 15 buck a piece so to get all 3 I'm looking at 45 bucks and that's not cheap.....I have never tried bay rum soap or aftershave and saw this post and was ultra curious but alas I guess I will still have to wait until I might can find the ingredients for less..... Where has the things for less ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom