What's new

Which bay rum should I get? Here are my options:

Dominica Bay Rum was the best. You can occasionally still find it on eBay.

I agree. Used to be imported and distributed by CA Trading Co. Gotta love the ingredients: bayoil, alcohol (period).

They’ve been replaced by merrimacktrading.com and they have “Grand Bay Bay Rum Aftershave” now which looks to me like the same thing in new packaging (maybe). But maybe not.

Anyway, I’ll be ordering some soon as my last bottle of the original is about done. Not gonna go for the vintage bottle on the ‘bay right now for 80 bucks.

If I think of it, I’ll report back.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I agree. Used to be imported and distributed by CA Trading Co. Gotta love the ingredients: bayoil, alcohol (period).

They’ve been replaced by merrimacktrading.com and they have “Grand Bay Bay Rum Aftershave” now which looks to me like the same thing in new packaging (maybe). But maybe not.

Anyway, I’ll be ordering some soon as my last bottle of the original is about done. Not gonna go for the vintage bottle on the ‘bay right now for 80 bucks.

proxy.php
proxy.php
Please report back! I would really like to hear how Grand Bay compares to my favorite Dominica Bay Rum.

Please report back! I would really like to hear how Grand Bay compares to my favorite Dominica Bay Rum.

Got myself a bottle of the Grand Bay stuff. Definitely not the same as the Dominica. The scent is very bland and the feel is watery. That’s explained by the ingredients:
Water
Alcohol
Bay Oil

In the case of the Dominica, the ingredient list reads:
Bay Oil
Alcohol

So I suppose it is no surprise that the Grand Bay stuff seems watery and has very little scent while the Dominica has a delightfully clean, crisp feel and scent. Total bummer they aren’t making it any more.

Not gonna miss the Grand Bay when it’s gone.

Just get the Gabel's Bay Rum. It is available at Appleton Barber Supply. The Gabel's is so good it is an OEM supplier for many private branded Bay Rum after shaves. The performance of the after shave is very good. post face feel is calm and smooth. You really deserve a try with the Gabel's. I love all the Gabel's products that I have.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Dominica, IMO, is the classic Bay Rum, but that's probably because it's the first Bay Rum I purchased, and was the only Bay Rum I used for several years. Every other Bay Rum I've tried since they stopped making it seems off to me.

Dominica, IMO, is the classic Bay Rum, but that's probably because it's the first Bay Rum I purchased, and was the only Bay Rum I used for several years. Every other Bay Rum I've tried since they stopped making it seems off to me.

Yeah - same here. By using Dominica first, it seems I’ve locked my expectations in at an unreachable high level. It’s not just the scent that was awesome, but also the feel. Maybe someday they’ll be back ...............

Top Bottom