What's new

Bootleggers bay rum?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I haven't been able to find the individual AS components for less than 15 buck a piece so to get all 3 I'm looking at 45 bucks and that's not cheap.....

You can't find Superior 70 for less then $15? They must have gotten popular since I introduced it here in the shaving forum back in 2011. I was getting it then at Walgreens for a $1.50 a bottle. :)

looking online, Amazon seemed really expensive to me, but they offer free shipping over $25 purchases.

PVIBR 12 oz bottle $11.50 Amazon. Free shipping on orders of $25 or more.

Master Bay Rum 15 oz bottle $16.99 Amazon.Free shipping on orders of $25 or more. ( I can find it for as cheap as $5, $6 and $7 many other places, but decided to stick with Amazon for the free shipping.

Superior 70 11.8 oz bottle $11.79 Amazon. Free shipping on orders of $25 or more.

Price total: $40.28 with free shipping. I can buy mine locally at brick & mortars at Target, Walmart, Walgreens and Costco.

Total amount of aftershaves by ounces: 38.8 ounces.

Mixing Bootlegger's Bay Rum in equal parts: 12 ounces times 3 parts = 36 ounces divided by $40.28 = $1.11 an ounce. $1.11 an ounce, for 36 ounces of a quality Bay Rum with scent & longevity.

36 ounces is a lifetime supply?

Only you can compare that value with other quality Bay Rums and decide for yourself what is cheap and what isn't?

since you haven't ever tried Bay Rum before, I wouldn't make any kind of investment yet. You can buy samples of many types of Bay Rums to try from vendors, to see if you like Bay Rum at all.

Last edited:
You can't find Superior 70 for less then $15? They must have gotten popular since I introduced it here in the shaving forum back in 2011. I was getting it then at Walgreens for a $1.50 a bottle. :)

looking online, Amazon seemed really expensive to me, but they offer free shipping over $25 purchases.

Master Bay Rum 15 oz bottle $16.99 Amazon.Free shipping on orders of $25 or more. ( I can find it for as cheap as $5, $6 and $7 many other places, but decided to stick with Amazon for the free shipping.

Superior 70 11.8 oz bottle $11.79 Amazon. Free shipping on orders of $25 or more.

Price total: $40.28 with free shipping. I can buy mine locally at brick & mortars at Target, Walmart, Walgreens and Costco.

Mixing Bootlegger's Bay Rum in equal parts: 12 ounces times 3 parts = 36 ounces divided by $40.28 = $1.11 an ounce. $1.11 an ounce, for 36 ounces of a quality Bay Rum with scent & longevity.

Only you can compare that value with other quality Bay Rums and decide for yourself what is cheap and what isn't?

since you haven't ever tried Bay Rum before, I wouldn't make any kind of investment yet. You can buy samples of many types of Bay Rums to try from vendors, to see if you like Bay Rum at all.
Thanks. I think I will do that I guess. I looked at walgreens website and it kept telling me items not found so I guess they don't carry the stuff anymore. Thanks for the information.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy

You really do get a lot of Bay Rum once you make the mix using all of it that you can in the proper ratios. It really is a veritable lifetime supply. Thinking of it from that perspective, the $40-$45 that you spend to get the three Bay Rums is not bad.

You really do get a lot of Bay Rum once you make the mix using all of it that you can in the proper ratios. It really is a veritable lifetime supply. Thinking of it from that perspective, the $40-$45 that you spend to get the three Bay Rums is not bad.
I guess that's true that its not that bad thinking of it that way... I need to try bay rum first to make sure I want it though....

OkieStubble

Bootlegger's Bay Rum, averages out in price to $1.11 an ounce. When I first made the mix back in 2011, I could make it for .85 cents an ounce. :)

The lowest priced "quality?" and comparable Bay Rum out there, is $2.50 an ounce. The nat'l average price for a quality Bay Rum out there is $4.74 an ounce. One of the most expensive quality bay rums you can find is $75 for 8 ounces. That's $9.37 an ounce.

And all Bay Rums... Are fleeting? Some, more then others for sure, but they are all fleeting.

Last edited:
Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum, requires the use of Pinaud's Citrus Musk, not Pinaud's Lime Sec. Many lime aftershaves were tried, but the Citrus Musk from Pinaud was chosen and the synergistic effect is quite amazing! :)
Howdy. I'm guessing that you tried both the Citrus Musk and the Lime Sec in your Lime Bay Rum experiments. I've never tried, either. In your bay rum recipe (which I know you made years ago now), do you remember why you preferred the Citrus Musk over the Lime Sec? I bought the ingredients to make your bay rum. The site was out of Citrus Musk, so I couldn't buy it. They had the Lime Sec, so I did get that to mix with the Osage Rub that I also bought for your Arctic Lime Blast. Just wondering what I'd get if I used the Lime Sec instead. Thank you, sir.

OkieStubble

Howdy. I'm guessing that you tried both the Citrus Musk and the Lime Sec in your Lime Bay Rum experiments. I've never tried, either. In your bay rum recipe (which I know you made years ago now), do you remember why you preferred the Citrus Musk over the Lime Sec? I bought the ingredients to make your bay rum. The site was out of Citrus Musk, so I couldn't buy it. They had the Lime Sec, so I did get that to mix with the Osage Rub that I also bought for your Arctic Lime Blast. Just wondering what I'd get if I used the Lime Sec instead. Thank you, sir.

Back when I created my Lime Bay Rum, quite a few lime AS’s we’re experimented with, Stephens, Gabels, Boosters and others. The Citrus Musk of Pinaud was the clear choice.

It gave my Bootlegger’s Original Bay Rum a bright, fizzy, lime, which I thought was nice because it contrasted opposite of all the ‘earthy tones’ of limes that are out there.

Bootlegger’s Lime Bay Rum is loved by many bay rum fans who want that pop of lime citrus in their bay rum. :)

Back when I created my Lime Bay Rum, quite a few lime AS’s we’re experimented with, Stephens, Gabels, Boosters and others. The Citrus Musk of Pinaud was the clear choice.

It gave my Bootlegger’s Original Bay Rum a bright, fizzy, lime, which I thought was nice because it contrasted opposite of all the ‘earthy tones’ of limes that are out there.

Bootlegger’s Lime Bay Rum is loved by many bay rum fans who want that pop of lime citrus in their bay rum. :)
I bought the ingredient aftershaves from a barbershop supply store. Unfortunately, they were out the citrus musk. I've never seen it available locally so as not to order and pay more shipping charges, but if I run across it, I will buy it. Thanks. I look forward to trying out these Bootlegger recipes.

OkieStubble

I bought the ingredient aftershaves from a barbershop supply store. Unfortunately, they were out the citrus musk. I've never seen it available locally so as not to order and pay more shipping charges, but if I run across it, I will buy it. Thanks. I look forward to trying out these Bootlegger recipes.

I am looking forward to reading what you think of the ones you try. :)

Top Bottom