What's new

Which bay rum should I get? Here are my options:

Virgin Islands Bay Rum is the Bay Rum I compare scent wise to every other Bay Rum. It’s the best of the one you are eyeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will give a thumbs up to Gabel’s. Straight up bay oil, water and alchohol. Refreshing scent that is good year round, not heavy-spicy that would be more of a cold weather scent. Mild burn. Makes a great mixer with citrus AS (I like to mix with Pinaud Eau de Portugal. Fresh orange smell that mixes perfecly with it)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think it is getting to the point that the OP will start regretting asking that question here :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha, yes, you may be right. It will all begin to make no scents to him before long, the poor fellow.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Ogallala is the stuff to get. Its the first splash I actually emptied the bottle. Its got a superb face feel.

I never found a single bay rum that set me on fire.

Captain's choice was the closest single product but I find that I end up "hand blending" 2 scents more often than grabbing an individual one

proxy.php

Yeah, I'd say Captain's Choice or Long Rifle as they are worth the extra cost. For something cheaper the Ogallala would be an excellent choice.

Ogallala sells a bay rum sample set of five 2-oz bottles of different varieties. All are awesome.

If you insist on burn then captains choice CO9T is the one to get. It has nice depth as well.

Hey Boggie, I can't speak for the others on your list, but I can recommend VIBR.

Just so you know, I haven't been using AS for long so I'm no expert... actually I had never smelt a Bay Rum AS before I bought VIBR. But, I instantly liked the smell and the feeling on my skin after using it... then for some funny/strange reason after a few months in my rotation the clove scent was just too much for me so I stopped using it, that was until last week when I thought I'd give it another chance. It had improved so much, like it had mellowed. Many recommend decanting to glass, I hadn't done that but the lid doesn't screw down and create a proper seal so I think it had a chance to breath a bit and I have used it a few times now over the last couple of weeks and I love it. It's also seasonal too, with the warm weather it's really good.

I hope that helps in some way

I'm another one for Bootlegger Bay Rum. It is one you make yourself from equal parts of VIBR, Master, and Superior 70.

I like VIBR by itself, but sometimes it burns especially if I got overly aggressive or didn't have a lather that was protective enough. I don't care for Masters or Superior 70 by themselves. Masters is way too weak scented. Superior 70 has a weedy note to the scent I don't care for.

Together though, the high glycerine of Masters cuts the burn and the weedyness of Superior 70 disappears. It is a synergistic combination that is better than the component parts, much better.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I'm another one for Bootlegger Bay Rum. It is one you make yourself from equal parts of VIBR, Master, and Superior 70.

I like VIBR by itself, but sometimes it burns especially if I got overly aggressive or didn't have a lather that was protective enough. I don't care for Masters or Superior 70 by themselves. Masters is way too weak scented. Superior 70 has a weedy note to the scent I don't care for.

Together though, the high glycerine of Masters cuts the burn and the weedyness of Superior 70 disappears. It is a synergistic combination that is better than the component parts, much better.

Great post! :a14: I hear it's pretty good stuff.

My vote is for Gabel's Bay Rum. Appleton Barber Supply has it. Everything just works perfect with Gabel's Your search won't be finished until you try the Gabel's
MM879

I went on a Bay Rum quest to replace the Stirling that I'd just finished and was given quite a few types to try and found out that there are many variations of Bay Rum available and all are not equal!! I eventually after testing and throwing out several samples found myself back at square one which ultimately was the Stirling site and promptly ordered up a couple bottles so I'd be good for quite a while!!

The oddest thing that I found was how most described Stirling as being very clove forward and yet when comparing it to other clove forward Bay Rum's I found that Stirling was in fact, "not", clove forward but that Rod adds nutmeg to his recipe and that is what makes his scent differ from most others. I then looked for others that had nutmeg in the recipe to compare and found Rod was the only one I could find that actually used it and believe that to be the reason I didn't like any of the others that were available!!

Thanks for your research! I have a bottle of Stirling's Bay Rum on the way, and am very much looking forward to it!

Top Bottom