What's new

Where to buy washers for DE razors?

I don't know what they're made of. I see some say nylon, others silicone, others rubber. Some call them "O" rings. Some call them washers. Which is the best kind to get and why? And like for regular razors (like Razorock, Merkur & Muhle) where do you buy such things? Hopefully, they're someplace inexpensive like eBay. I need only about twenty of them. Links greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last year, I bought a 100-pack of white nylon washers (M5x10x1) from AliExpress. Cost a measly $1.00 with free shipping.

I just did a search for "m5 nylon washer" and there are a bunch of listings. The first result offers a 100-pack for $1.21 with free shipping. Looks exactly like the ones I got:

100-500pcs M2 M2.5 M3 M4 M5 M6 M8 M10 M12 White Black Plastic Nylon Flat Washer

I went this route because my local Lowes sold them as a 4-pack for $2.25 and the cheapskate in me said "No way!" 😁

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
our local Lowes and Home Depot no longer carry them. so I bought 20 on eBay.... but I paid around $3... if I remember. on Amazon, I had to buy 100 or 200.... I don't need that many. But if Ali Express has them for a dollar and you aren't in a hurry... sounds good....

Exactly, Hms.... I wanted white too... and I think in the white, I was only finding 200 at a time.

I don't know what they're made of. I see some say nylon, others silicone, others rubber. Some call them "O" rings. Some call them washers. Which is the best kind to get and why? And like for regular razors (like Razorock, Merkur & Muhle) where do you buy such things? Hopefully, they're someplace inexpensive like eBay. I need only about twenty of them. Links greatly appreciated. Thanks.
PM me if you are in CONUS and want me to put a bunch (black) in an envelope. I have plenty of extras.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Not in the loop, what are the washers for? Where did they go? What do they improve?
They aren't really necessary... but they keep the metal to metal contact between the razor head and the handle separated... they really do assist the handle to tighten up nicely and keep it tight without putting too much pressure on the threads. Someone more technical than I am can probably explain it better.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Google for nylon washers, you will need M5 washers. They are often sold as part of a package of different sizes, e.g. on Amazon. Nylon washers are soft enough and most common, silicone washers are not so common and mostly sold under the name o-rings, some prefers them for being more translucent.

I got a pack of 780 in different sizes for 8,90 EUR with shipping included.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Not in the loop, what are the washers for? Where did they go? What do they improve?
I mainly don't like the ring marks on the handle grinding under the base plate.

Especially the top of the merkur 42c handle that I bought at the beginning is rough, which is easy to damage the chrome plating of the head. If it is rotated for a long time, the zamak will be exposed and the corrosion will be accelerated.

As for expensive stainless steel and titanium razors, I prefer to keep them looking good.

Top Bottom