What's new

When wearing a suit, where do you put your pen?

Where do you put your pen?

• outside breast jacket pocket

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Inside left jacket pocket

Votes: 36 73.5%
  • Shirt pocket

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Doesnt matter

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
Ah, here I disagree.

I am left-handed. The pen goes in the LEFT inside jacket pocket. When I reach for it, I reach with the right hand ... which pulls the pen out of the pocket holding it by the cap. Then my right hand can continue holding the cap while my left hand then extracts the body of the pen from the cap for immediate use.
That's some serious ergonomics you have there!

Wait, do people actually put pens in their outside breast pocket? Like where a pocket square would go? That sounds awful looking to me, but I guess function over form for some?

Personnaly almost all my suits and sport coats actually have a pen slot just in front of the left inside breast pocket. If that little pocket isnt available, I use the regular same location pocket.

I don't have pockets put on my dress shirts anymore. I never use them, and I have had then fray on the corners well before the lifespan of the shirt should end.

This my be an intersting point in haberdashery also?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
@ngel:
proxy.php
My vote is for "Inside left jacket pocket".:thumbsup:

well-dressed-business-man-jpg.815012
“None of us can have as many virtues as the [...] pen or half it's ['pensations']; but we can try". Mark Twain

I use the left inside pocket, except for jackets with a dedicated pen pocket, which I've never seen anywhere other than inside the left breast. If a leak concerns you, that seems like a job for a pocket protector. I don't wear one in a shirt pocket, nor do I keep a pen there, but hidden inside a suit it wouldn't be an eyesore. You might also consider a screw cap pen for extra security. With the nib up and the cap fastened securely, I doubt you'll ever have a leak unless you're in an environment where the air pressure changes substantially (which is why fountain pen users take various precautions when flying).

Without a jacket, the front right pocket on my pants works fine. I usually carry a Lamy Safari, although there are smaller pens—the Lamy Pico, Kaweco Sport, and Kaweco Lilliput come to mind. The Safari fits in my Banana Republic khakis and hasn't leaked yet.

My EDC setup is actually a Bellroy Notebook Cover Mini, which fits in my the pocket of my pants or jacket. I have a Lamy CP1 (about the size of a regular BIC pen) clipped inside, a Goulet Pen Co. dot grid notebook made with Tomoe River paper, six bank cards/IDs, 5–6 Nock Co. 3x5 notecards, and a little cash. Only once has the pen slid out of its cap, but it didn't leak because it was held tight by the cover. As it's only happened one time, it was likely my fault for not snapping the cap on well.

Inside left jacket pocket... But sometimes it's also the right. My cellphone sometimes competes for the inside left and I don't like it banging around with my pen so I just put the pen in the right.

On rare occasions it's also the shirt... But I like large pens and shirt pockets aren't deep enough and have a lot of pen showing and I don't want to be that blatant with pricey pens.

I have 2 suits with pen pockets inside the left lapel. Both are classic double breasted, one pin strip the other plain blue but cut with more of a navel feel. I like em.

Usually on shirt pocket or vest pocket if I am wear a 3 pieces.

I have a custom pen pocket on my jacket on all my bespoke suits.

Actually inside the peak label?

Would that pop up the label too much? If you got any photo of the set up, I would love to see it.

Cheers mate.

Top Bottom