What's new

What Shavette/Barber-Razor and Blade did you use today? We like PICS

Aug 24: Flirting With Disaster

Lather: Stirling Tuscany
Brush: Omega B&B Essential Boar (22/52mm)
Razor: King Metal X-Razor 6/8 shavette
Blade: Dorco ST300 Platinum Stainless half-blade [2]
Balm: Stirling Barbershop Post-Shave Balm

What happens when you take your fiercest, most aggressive shavette, load it with an almost brand new blade, and don't round off the corners? You get an absolutely great shave! I was almost sad when it ended. Too bad it looks like the all stainless X-Razor is no longer in production because it's worth having a spare.
proxy.php

shavettes are harsh, uncomfortable, and a compromise
That's what I remember from the days when I started shaving with shavettes. Smooth, but often irritation to the extent that I had to go back to a DE for a few days.
I think the big difference now is that my technique improved vastly. After the shave the alum block, which is always a good test to see if you have done well, barely detected a freshly shaved face. Think most people can achieve a smooth shave, but to achieve it without irritation, or leaking some of the red stuff, is the challenge.
The shavette will definitely be part of my rotation now.

get yourself a Universal Rasoio a Mano Libera Lama Intera

Funny you should mention that ...
IMG_20190824_075028-01.jpeg

Razor: Universal Lama Interna
Blade: Derby Professional (x1)
Soap: Arko stick (for Arko August)
Brush: Omega 636 Silvertip

Great shave today despite one small cut below my lower lip on the XTG pass. I'm really enjoying the occasional shavette shave in and amongst my SR shaves.

First time with the Derby Pro. First time with anything other than an Astra SP DE blade. Very nice, though I can't stand Derby DE blade. I appreciated the extra length and the blade was both sharp and smooth. Makes me excited for the sampler pack I have.

Gave my Feather SS AC a first go this morning. I do a two pass shave and allowed the Feather to accomplish about 75 percent of the first pass. I had no nicks or problems so I sent the Feather to the dugout and brought in a relief razor. The very mild GEM Featherweight. I just wanted to let my face know that he had done nothing wrong and I wasn't mad at him.

It was a very good first go and I am glad I stopped while I was ahead. I will increase the Feather's playing time tomorrow. Already looking at tackling a real straight... the spending never stops.
2019_Aug_24_8377_LR.jpg

Sorry, no pics, but I shaved with a Feather SS folding razor loaded with a Schick Proline blade this morning. Took off two-days' growth like it was nothing. Smooth and comfortable.

I loves me the Feather SS.

How often do you guys use shavettes/kamisoris compared to SE/DE safety razors or straights? I want to get one but not sure how often will I use it.

For the last year I have almost exclusively used barber razors - and acquired a few in the process..
Latest additions have been chinese patterned after the artist club razors by feather. Got a folding "SS" clone and a kamisori version without the ridge near the edge (DX ?).

Had the 2nd shave with the SS clone today and I like it! Fit & finish is absolutely satisfactory in my eyes (Although I never had the chance to inspect the original made by feather). The thicker artist club blades do feel different than the much thinner DE/cabinet blades. I was using one of the chinese blades included with the razor and it was ok-ish. Definitely not crazy sharp but serviceable, so far I am quite impressed by the quality I got for approx 13$.

I will buy some genuine feather blades once I have used up the included chinese noname blades - if I can summon the courage to do so...

br,
tom

Pre shave: Proraso white
Soap: Copper Hat Coastal Fair
Razor: Feather AC SS Kamisori
Blade: Feather ProGuard (2)

Not my best outing. One pass shave to get rid of 4 days of growth. A few nicks and a bit ouchy with the alum. But nothing lasting and facial hair has magically disappeared.

Not accomplished enough to do this as part of my regular routine yet. But how do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.

Used my brand new Feather SS folding in the bright lime green this morning. Loaded it up with a ProGuard that had about four shaves on it for this morning's shave.
Software was Soapy Science in the Doc's Special Blend scent.
Didn't go as well as I hoped. Felt some tugging. Next shave I'll use a Schick Pro line. End result was good after one pass plus a fair bit of touch up.
No nicks, cuts, or weepers.

I have been curious for a long time about the Feather Artist Club , but it's just too expensive to "just try to see if you like it".

Recently the prices dropped a bit, because it seems that a few guys are selling directly from Japan, so I took the plunge and ordered one of the folding ones, and waited patiently. Thought about ordering the Pro Guard blades, but because I do have a lot of experience in shavette and straight razor shaving, decided on a pack of Professional Blades. Got the razor last week, and today the blades arrived. Had a good look at the razor and the blades and I am impressed with the quality of both. Another plus is the corners of the blades that are rounded, so one of the issues of shavette shaving is eliminated immediately. It seems that you get what you pay for, yes it is pricey, but the quality makes it worth it.

Loaded a fresh blade, lathered up with Tabac.

Due to the fearsome reputation I was very careful for a start. I was very surprised, I could feel immediately that this blade is not nearly as harsh as I expected. It shaved very smooth and comfortably, without being harsh. There is no doubt in my mind that a Derby Professional half blade is sharper, but also harsher and more prone to nick you if you are not careful, with those mischievous little corners. The one thing I also noted from start is that the shaving angle is a lot steeper because of the rounded profile of the edge and I was a bit worried that it may cause some irritation that will only be evident once you apply the alum block. Did a two pass shave and very pleased with the result. No nicks, no irritation, great feel.

All things considered, it was a great shave, and I am very pleased with my new razor and will recommend it to anybody that asks. Honestly can't say anything bad about it, apart from the price.

I will consider ordering the Pro Super Blades next time, I like to be kept on my toes!

As already written before I got me a clone of the Feather SS from China (the real deal is > 100€ around here) and had been using it with one of the included blades for about a week (blade was not that sharp to begin with but it did not dull noticeably during that week)

Thursday I received a pack of Feather Pro blades and had to try immediately yesterday :=) I was a bit weary because of the reputation but found the blade to be sharp but not harsh - very smooth shave without tugging or irritation.

I agree with the post above that some DE blades seem even sharper than the Feather Pro but also more likely to bite in a shavette.

So I have to say the artist club "system" is really nice, the people designing this did their job very well.

As already written before I got me a clone of the Feather SS from China (the real deal is > 100€ around here) and had been using it with one of the included blades for about a week (blade was not that sharp to begin with but it did not dull noticeably during that week)

Thursday I received a pack of Feather Pro blades and had to try immediately yesterday :=) I was a bit weary because of the reputation but found the blade to be sharp but not harsh - very smooth shave without tugging or irritation.

I agree with the post above that some DE blades seem even sharper than the Feather Pro but also more likely to bite in a shavette.

So I have to say the artist club "system" is really nice, the people designing this did their job very well.

I ordered the "real deal" on ebay UK from Japan for £60. I am so impressed, I ordered one of the clones for secondary use. I also ordered 50 of the blades they sell for a trial, to see how they perform.

I ordered the "real deal" on ebay UK from Japan for £60. I am so impressed, I ordered one of the clones for secondary use. I also ordered 50 of the blades they sell for a trial, to see how they perform.

Well 60 UKP is approx. 66€, add 20% tax plus a flat fee of 10€ for the import tax processing in Austria and possibly tariff (I have not researched that in detail) and we have at least approx. 90€ :=|
From my experience shipments from Japan and US are almost always inspected by Austrian customs - interestingly stuff from China much less so unless it is a big parcel - no idea why...
I found some EU sellers for just a bit >100€...
So I opted for the chinese clone - delivered to my door for 11.19€ (no tax because below treshold of approx. 21€).

I would be very interested in your comparison between the clone and the original - guess you may be disappointed with the chinese blades unfortunately...
br,
tom

Well 60 UKP is approx. 66€, add 20% tax plus a flat fee of 10€ for the import tax processing in Austria and possibly tariff (I have not researched that in detail) and we have at least approx. 90€ :=|
From my experience shipments from Japan and US are almost always inspected by Austrian customs - interestingly stuff from China much less so unless it is a big parcel - no idea why...
I found some EU sellers for just a bit >100€...
So I opted for the chinese clone - delivered to my door for 11.19€ (no tax because below treshold of approx. 21€).

I would be very interested in your comparison between the clone and the original - guess you may be disappointed with the chinese blades unfortunately...
br,
tom

I didn't pay any tax on the parcel from Japan. I am not sure how and why I do have to pay tax in the UK on orders from other countries. The only time I ever payed import tax on a parcel was when my wife forgot a wrist watch in South Africa when on holiday. My dad mailed it to us and with the postage and tax, it would have been cheaper to buy a new one!

As far as the blades go, I usually shave with straight razors I hone myself, so most factory made blades will be sharper than what I am used to. Its interesting to compare their edges to what my skills allow me to achieve, and it gives me something to aspire to.

Another round with the Feather AC SS kamisori and a ProGuard (2). One WTG pass with some weepers. Still practicing so I am leaving the full routine to tomorrow morning when I do my regular before work shave. Still having troubles getting close on my chin and my adam's apple without drawing blood. Yes, there was some styptic in use today.

Attachments

• gear.jpg
    gear.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 20
No shave this morning, but I shaved with the Feather SS folding yesterday morning. Tried it with a fresh ProGuard because I had experienced some tugging on Friday morning.

It was definitely much smoother with the fresh blade. Everything went really well except that at one point, while doing the chin where it curves into the neck I pushed too hard with the blade at the wrong angle. I knew right away I had done it wrong. I expected there to be a nice cut there, but I saw no blood. I thought to myself, "Good thing I was using the ProGuard, because the Schick Proline would've given me a nice slice."

About 30 seconds or a minute later, I see a linear area of blood there, so I found out that I had, in fact, penetrated the skin.

Here's the weird part, though. After I rinsed and applied lather for clean-up along the jawline, I never saw any more blood at all. And after the shave I could. not. find. the "cut" at all! Completely absent. I take aspirin for a hole in my heart, so if I can't find even a tiny bit of weeping, I know it was a really, really small cut. So I guess the ProGuard blade did help.

Anyway, aside from that, it was a pretty smooth shave. The only area I'm still having problems with is the mustache area just above the extreme corners of my lips. For the life of me I can't figure out how to shave that area with some irritation.

I'm going to keep using it for a while and see if I can figure out how to solve this problem.

again the chinese artist club SS clone with a feather Pro today. 3rd shave with this blade and nothing new, just a very smooth and comfortable 2-pass shave.

Very close and no hint of irritation - compared to my other barber razors the SS with Feather blade almost feels like cheating. I wonder how long the Feather blades last but I guess around 20 shaves ?

Top Bottom