What's new

What Shavette/Barber-Razor and Blade did you use today? We like PICS

Friday Shave

First outing for the new Universal Lama Intera.
IMG_20190725_184716-01.jpeg

Paired with an Astra SP, C. O. Bigelow cream, and a CRV custom brush in Silvertip.

Great shave, but even the thickness of the Astra makes the locking clip a really tight fit.

Great shave, but even the thickness of the Astra makes the locking clip a really tight fit.
Don't force it. Just push the locking piece until it's snug and don't try to bottom it out. That'll be more than tight enough to hold the blade securely.

The reason it's tight is by design ... so that it can also hold a half-DE blade. Try an old half blade for fit and you'll see the tightness is perfect. The locking piece bottoms out without being too right.

The reason it's tight is by design ... so that it can also hold a half-DE blade.

Thanks! I had assumed that that was the case, but it looks "odd" with the locking clip angled up off of the spine. Guess that's just the way of it if I want the flexibility of half or full blades.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Friday Shave

First outing for the new Universal Lama Intera.
View attachment 1002530
Paired with an Astra SP, C. O. Bigelow cream, and a CRV custom brush in Silvertip.

Have you tried the Derby half blades. Inexpensive by the 100. I find them very comfortable and plenty sharp enough.

I've tried the Derby Extras in DEs and they are not comfortable for me. So I've shied away from anything Derby since then. I also have a sleeve of Astra SPs that aren't seeing much use since I started in straights. So I'm good on DE sized blades.

I did notice that the Lama Interna looks like it will take the longer blades, so I may have to give something along those lines s try...

Jul 28: Cheapo Sunday SABRE Shave

Lather: Arko stick grated into a tub
Brush: Semogue 620 (21/50mm)
Razor: Strong Leopard 74-A 7/8
Blade: Dorco ST300 Platinum Stainless half-blade [59]

Today's theme is "budget friendly shave". I bought the Semogue 620 for about $20 five years ago, and being my most used brush to date, was a bargain - especially compared to the stupid prices people past for badgers these days.

The Strong Leopard was about $5 shipped from AliExpress, and the blade came free with a cheap Chinese TTO. I'm at a 120 shave pace for this blade since I haven't started the other half yet - that's mileage.

Arko is the quintessential budget soap, and works spectacularly for me. Too bad the soap snobs won't even try it ;-) Yes, it's polarizing and doesn't work for everyone, but if you haven't tried it, spend the $2 and make up your own mind and don't let the Internet do your thinking for you.

Lastly, the Pur-est after shave lotion costs CAN$1.25 for 100ml at Family Dollar here in Canada. It doesn't smell very refined, but has a ton of castor oil in it, which my face really likes.

proxy.php

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
5EBE3FAD-932F-4ECC-B451-DA1BCB181C99.jpeg
Just added this little instrument to my arsenal. I really like shavettes and this one has little guards for the corner points that are the root for so much mischief. Loaded half a Feather DE blade and will report back tomorrow.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Actually it was a half Personna Blue. Shaved very well in any case. Will try the Feather later this week. Excellent shavette in any case.

Great thread! I'm discovering some new items to try... I really like the look of the Barbury's shavette and the Focus Slim AI.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Focus Al with Derby blade and Arko. Decided to go Turkey. Derby blades are not hyper sharp and do very well in a shavette. Will use a Feather once accustomed to the Focus. It is an outstanding shavette but my shave was a bit too close. The Old Spice was a real wake up. The little corner guards do work well. Didn’t even feel a close call. A few more days with it then back to traditional straights. Will likely put the Focus into rotation though. I want to become shavette proficient. I’m finding a good shavette has its place for a straight shaving dude or dudette and provides a good honing target but someone learning to shave with one had better pay attention. No mistakes allowed!

Bio matic (Sedef knock off?) with an Astra SP blade. (First shave with a shavette too)
proxy.php

Dared to complete the shave with it too. Hehe.

I use a Dovo Shavette for travel and occasional use. I use the long Merkur blades and they perform excellent YMMV. Some folk don't rate the Merkur blades, not sure if in general or specific to DE blades? The long blades seem to be slightly stiffer than typical DE blades. The edge is very keen and semi-smooth, or is it semi-harsh.

I squeezed the blade slide (spine) to ensure the blade and adapter fits tightly to eliminate any additional movement.

I learned a lot wrt straight razor shaving by using this Shavette. The most valuable to me was touch/pressure and using the entire width of the edge to create new angles during passes.
A42281CD-9011-4BB1-BEA2-B131D068DC19.jpeg

Last edited:
Last week, I got my Feather Artist's Club DX in the mail; and I've been using it ever since. I wasn't sure what blades to get, and decided to go with the Super Professionals. But the posts I read here had me absolutely shook!! I wondered if I had made a big mistake, and was going to cut myself to ribbons.

Nope... just an awesome, clean shave with no irritation! I'm very happy with this razor (and these blades). I actually prefer it to my traditional straight!:001_smile

20190803_185800.jpg

Aug 4: Sunday Original Shavette Shave

Lather: Dr. Jon's Defiance
Brush: Omega 0196745 BLACK Hi-Brush (24/56mm)
Razor: Durham Duplex (USA - pat'd May 28, 1907)
Blade: Personna Durham [18]
Balm: Chatillon Lux Colonia Balsamica Salve

Up for today is the original, the first disposable blade straight razor dating back to 1907 - two years before the Weck Sextoblade. I really like the way this razor shaves; smooth, intuitive, and efficient. The only hiccup is that the blades are carbon steel and need to be dried after every shave.

Just a quick comment on today's soap, Dr. Jon's Defiance. The soap is supposed to evoke the scent of a tank brigade, metallic, oil, a bit of smoke, but all I get to my nose is pure Bay Rum (Pimenta Racemosa), which smells a bit like cinnamon, clove, etc. I like Bay Rum a lot, so it's not an issue, but an a bit disappointed it doesn't smell like the description.

proxy.php

Today's shave (part of Arko August)

Universal Lama Interna
Astra SP (3)
Arko stick
Omega 636 Silvertip
IMG_20190804_093608-01.jpeg

Second shave with this shavette and ... Wow! Great shave! Very close and comfortable. The alum bar had me thinking that perhaps I hadn't even shaved yet.

Took another spin with the Bio matic shavette with an Astra SP blade again today. Didnt get a straight scratch/cut today like last time. Though I did nick myself at 2-3 spots. Did touch ups after with a DE razor.

10 days of vacation
before.jpg

Meets a
Feather AC SS loaded with a new Feather ProGuard
prepped with
Proraso White preshave
and lathered by a
Zenith boar brush
applying
The Copper Hat Coastal Fair soap

in a 2 pass dance

gear.jpg

for a pretty decent result

after.jpg

My fourth (fifth?) round with an open blade. Some areas that were not well shaved; a couple of weepers; but all around a pretty decent shave. Practice makes perfect; at least I am not bleeding openly any more.​

Top Bottom