What's new

What Shavette/Barber-Razor and Blade did you use today? We like PICS

Shavette SOTD

Universal Lama Intera
Shark (1)
Body Shop Maca Root and Aloe
Semogue 2040HD
IMG_20191006_092303-01.jpeg

First try for the Shark. Not to bad, but I don't think it will end up in the top three. (And I've only tried one other so far...)

Shaved for the first time with this HRICO "Zero Sense" Razor purchased from AliExpress. It is a DE half-blade shavette with a blade holding mechanism similar to the Feather Artist Club/Kai/CJB. The scales look to be a copy of ones used on Feather SS but with a redesigned blade slot to accept half DE blades.

My initial impression is quite positive. The tolerances seem tight and the overall finish of the plating is better than the previous Feather SS clones which I had bought before. The scales are plastic but feel nice. This shavette might replace my Focus Slim Al as a travel razor (since I don't want to risk losing the Focus Slim)....though I mostly use a Feather Popular DE and not a shavette when traveling.

The razor came with a pack of Dorco ST-300 (HQ Technology) blades which I have not opened. I am not sure what blade was shipped inside the blade holder but I used it for the first shave and liked it. It did not feel super sharp but was smooth. There were no markings on either side of the half DE blade so could it have even been a Dorco?

About the only negative comment I can make at this point is that the ink stamps on the razor will probably not last. I noticed one was already smudged after the first shave. But given the direction of the smudge I believe it must have been made when disassembling the razor for the initial picture. The blade holder halves were fairly tight together (but not too tight), so when I pressed down with my thumb to slide the top half off must have caused the smudge which is shown in the last image (#4). The first three pictures were taken outdoors near the end of the day before it was used, while the last picture was taken indoors under LED lighting after the first shave.
View attachment 1021302View attachment 1021303View attachment 1021304View attachment 1021305
I recently purchased the same razor in green. Mine did not come with the "Zero Sense" etching on it, but same packaging, blades, etc.

My Kai Captain is my go-to shavette, and this razor is modeled after it (oddly enough with scales that resemble those of the Feather SS). Pics below for comparison with my Kai Captain.

Anyway, I was also impressed with the shave from this razor, and I'm not much of a fan of half-DE shavettes. Having the same feel and similar weight to the Kai made it easy to use, right out of the box.

Attachments

• 20190930_083233-1.jpg
    20190930_083233-1.jpg
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190930_230000.jpg
    20190930_230000.jpg
    912.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190930_230038.jpg
    20190930_230038.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20190930_230112.jpg
    20190930_230112.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • 20190930_230158.jpg
    20190930_230158.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20190930_230303.jpg
    20190930_230303.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190930_230405.jpg
    20190930_230405.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
I recently purchased the same razor in green. Mine did not come with the "Zero Sense" etching on it, but same packaging, blades, etc.

My Kai Captain is my go-to shavette, and this razor is modeled after it (oddly enough with scales that resemble those of the Feather SS). Pics below for comparison with my Kai Captain.

Anyway, I was also impressed with the shave from this razor, and I'm not much of a fan of half-DE shavettes. Having the same feel and similar weight to the Kai made it easy to use, right out of the box.
Thanks for the comparison photos. It does appear to have a lot in common with the Kai Captain.

I changed the blade[*] out in mine yesterday. I liked how the channel in the holder could accommodate the slightly bent back edge of the folded half DE blade. But the raised notches to hold/backstop the blade are not very thick and I had trouble laying in the half blade before reassembling the blade holder. I gave up and just inserted after assembly. Not a big deal but this could be a concern for some users.

[*] The blade shipped with the razor was quite thin, nothing like an American Personna, Russian Vostok, or Derby. So that is another clue about the specific brand).

Still using the Feather SS. This morning I loaded a fresh Schick Proline. Worried a tiny bit about not using a guarded blade after using ProGuards for the past 3-4 weeks, but there was no concern.

In fact, this blade felt so much better than the ProGuard it was amazing. Just smooth and comfortable, and very efficient. I don't know whether the difference was because the ProGuard was on its 8th shave or whether the Schick Proline is just that much better.

Anyway, had a wonderful shave.

In fact, this blade felt so much better than the ProGuard it was amazing. Just smooth and comfortable, and very efficient. I don't know whether the difference was because the ProGuard was on its 8th shave or whether the Schick Proline is just that much better.
I agree with your opinion..

I have come to the conclusion that ProGuard blades are not for me. Today I shaved with a Pro Super with 35 shaves on it and it was so much smoother than the ProGuard on every shave from 1 to 6. My face just doesn't like those little wire thingys that are there to "protect" me.

Pre shave: Proraso white
Soap: Copper Hat Coastal Fair
Razor: Feather AC SS Kamisori
Blade: Feather ProGuard (4?)
Post shave: Alum then Thayers witch hazel
Balm: Nivea sensitive skin

One pass WTG. Still learning and managed a relatively close and comfortable shave. Minimal sting from the alum except on my pointy and scarred chin; always a problem area. But no post-shave blood!

I count that as a win.
gear.jpg

Last edited:
Another fantastic shave with my folding SS. Schick Proline blade, fourth or fifth shave with this blade.

Lather was Soapy Science lollipop citrus. Two passes to DFS. Aftershave was Stirling splash in the Satsuma scent.

HRICO saloon blade shavette - mine has absolutely no branding on the razor or the box. It came with a tuck of 10 Dorco ST300 Platinum DE blades PLUS a no label saloon blade pre-loaded. Crazy.

So I shaved one pass with the pre-loaded blade. It was fine, but I binned it on general principles.
DCA70C70-7EF4-4566-AA86-B4371DC6238D.jpeg

For 16 bucks I am completely happy with the purchase. I don’t see this razor taking very many shaves away from my narrower Focus Slim Al, but I do see it getting plenty of use in my travel kit. I expect that I will be happier with the blade loading using broken DEs rather than saloon blades.

HRICO saloon blade shavette - mine has absolutely no branding on the razor or the box. It came with a tuck of 10 Dorco ST300 Platinum DE blades PLUS a no label saloon blade pre-loaded. Crazy.

So I shaved one pass with the pre-loaded blade. It was fine, but I binned it on general principles.
View attachment 1028389
For 16 bucks I am completely happy with the purchase. I don’t see this razor taking very many shaves away from my narrower Focus Slim Al, but I do see it getting plenty of use in my travel kit. I expect that I will be happier with the blade loading using broken DEs rather than saloon blades.
These seem to be selling quite well as word gets out about them on forums and social media. I've got three shaves on the included blade, and they have all been great so far. I have strayed from half-DE shavettes ever since getting into AC blades, but this one will get a fair amount of use.

DSCF3836.JPG

New shavett from aliexpress. For less than 3$ delivered ! I am impressed, this lightweight shavett and long Cloud blade gave a very smooth face and head shave.

These seem to be selling quite well as word gets out about them on forums and social media. I've got three shaves on the included blade, and they have all been great so far. I have strayed from half-DE shavettes ever since getting into AC blades, but this one will get a fair amount of use.

I cultivate enough facial hair that half blade shavette maneuverability works really well for me. These HRICO razors are made well enough and priced so well that they deserve good traction in the market.

I will be getting some HRICO shaves in to get familiar with the blade loading and the wider head, then I will pop it into the travel kit with my travel DE. It’s also nice that I will only need to pack DE blades for travel.

I cultivate enough facial hair that half blade shavette maneuverability works really well for me. These HRICO razors are made well enough and priced so well that they deserve good traction in the market.

I will be getting some HRICO shaves in to get familiar with the blade loading and the wider head, then I will pop it into the travel kit with my travel DE. It’s also nice that I will only need to pack DE blades for travel.
Great stuff. Also, not that it makes much difference, but the brand is KureNai. HRICO is the seller.

I see that they recently added a fixed handle version (J-type aka "Kamisori style) of this razor and another that is a fixed-handle version of the Kai Captain Zebrano (Kai's answer to the Feather SS). Pretty interesting products, and quite easy on the pocketbook.

View attachment 1028563
New shavett from aliexpress. For less than 3$ delivered ! I am impressed, this lightweight shavett and long Cloud blade gave a very smooth face and head shave.
Great find! A company called Vincent sells a rebranded version of this exact product (VT-301) in the US for about $7. They also make one that accepts AC blades (VT-1321), which I picked up for $11 on eBay. I have been trying to find that product on Aliexpress with no luck.

Shave on!!

sotd Vincent.jpg

Price performance! :punk::punk:
This thing is cheap ! It feels cheap and lightweight ! But I bought it for shaving not for showing !
I am in ca 30-40 shavette shaves. First I thought that razor has to be heavy and substantial. Like my Strong Leopard. But recently I begun to realize that I like lightweight and maneuverable shavette more.

This thing is cheap ! It feels cheap and lightweight ! But I bought it for shaving not for showing !
I am in ca 30-40 shavette shaves. First I thought that razor has to be heavy and substantial. Like my Strong Leopard. But recently I begun to realize that I like lightweight and maneuverable shavette more.
The overall construction and materials used is very similar to the Dovo Shavette (the actual product that coined the name "shavette"). They go for about $30 and up, and they are quite popular.

You did quite well for $3

Top Bottom