What's new

What fragrance for a teen boy

My 15 year old, who just started dating, is asking for cologne for Christmas. Any suggestions? I don’t want to break the bank, but want something more than Axe body spray. Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct caught my eye as did Paco Rabanne Invistus. Trying to stay away from suggestive titles like Eros.

Fragrantica is your friend, but I wouldn't buy anything older than 1990s. Even pre 2005 would be iffy. You should probably look for something with only a few scent notes unlike classic fragrances that have 30 that you can't pick out. It's still OK for teens to smell slightly fruity, but something with a bunch of musk or florals probably wouldn't go off well. I say this only to someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with fragrances or is buying for someone who doesn't. There are some good choices within $50 that don't smell cheep, even $30. I will take a quick look and report back, but I am not an authority on this, you might get a better opinion.

I just go to the Fragrantica awards and look through some categories, but I know off hand something about what I am scanning for. Also Perfumes then search, ordered by most popular.

Bleu de Chanel is kind of an obvious pick and not bad in any way. It's one of the most popular for a reason.

Maybe Explorer from MontBlanc which is related to Aventus, but still reasonable.

This is tough, I spent 10 minutes already. A lot of scents are too sophisticated for somebody that age and too expensive. I guess something from Azzaro even though it is older would be what people would recommend.

I looked at your two, they are aquatics which are fine. But not really considered night time fragrances. It looks like Paco Rabanne Invictus Intense could work. If you scroll down on Fragrantica, you can see related options. Sorry, I wanted to help. I shouldn't have even posted.

Last edited:
Tommy Hilfiger is inoffensive but ladies seem to like it. I wore it a lot in my early 20s. I wouldn't wear it now but I still like the scent.

Aquatics seem to be popular with that demographic too, if my 15 y/o son's friends are any indication.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Nautica - Blue.
375x500.2480.jpg

Diesel - Fuel for Life.
71D4ahAM44L._SL1170_.jpg

Montblanc - Legend Spirit.
73486m.jpg

Chanel - Bleu.
71JvqEHDz-L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I came to suggest paco invictus.

It smells young, but it still performs well, which is rare in the post-ifra world.

High quality stuff, and my wife likes it.

Use the 30% coupon at fragrancenet

Proraso Azur Lime for a fresh scent during the day and/or Proraso Cypress Vetyver for the evening/going out. Linear, not overly strong and modestly priced.

Just say no to A&F! Just hearing it mentioned I can smell it wafting out of the mall store...

I'd suggest you go to someplace like Kohl's. They sell the most popular stuff, generally less than mall store prices. A lot of guys on here want to smell unique and like older scents, but a teenage boy wants to fit in--so I wouldn't go too far off the mainstream path. Also, be careful of things like Tommy Hilfiger--I agree it's a great scent, but the last thing your son wants is for a girl to say "your cologne reminds me of my dad." If you or your wife has any teenage girls in the neighborhood who will talk with you, they may have some decent suggestions.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I would want to take him to a store with samples. Sephora is great if you have one nearby and can stand the stink. The nose is such an individual thing. Either that or take his girlfriend.:001_rolle

i used eternity, drakkar as a kid still do :laugh: and one by tommy hilfiger. since your kid just began dating might be easier just to let him take his lil lady with him to pick out a cologne for him. mall then movies etc.after you have filled his wallet with xmas money ofcourse. plus girls like picking stuff out for their guys

When I was a teenager in the 90s I worse Aspen and CK One. Both are pretty inoffensive and good starter colognes.

These days, Davidoff Zino is honestly my all-time favorite.

As an aside, my first bottle of 'real' cologne was Davidoff Goodlife. Oh, how I wish they still made that.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
When I was a lad in the 70s I already loved fragrances. My faves were Trouble by Mennen, Mon Triomphe by JB Williams (the soap Williams), Roman Brio, and Wind Drift by English Leather. These were probably the 1974 version of today's stinky body sprays. But at Christmas when I was 17 a girl gave me a naggin of kanøn. My first "department store" cologne. I was immediately hooked, to the point that I still use it despite it having been discontinued nearly 30 years ago (I know there's a cheap reformulation available now, but that doesn't count). I must have a gallon of it in various bottles that I've stockpiled over the years. I don't wear it every day, but in the cool weather it gets used at least once a week, nearly 50 years after I first encountered it.

My point is that you might be introducing the lad to his lifelong signature scent. That said, I wouldn't invest too much money in this- whatever you get he's going to waste by dousing himself in it.

Top Bottom