What's new

The Chicago Cubs Are Baseball’s Best Smelling Team

From today's Wall Street Journal:

Why relievers Hector Rondon and Pedro Strop douse themselves in cologne before games

In their quest to win their first World Series since 1908, the Chicago Cubs once brought in a Greek orthodox priest to spray their dugout with holy water. It didn’t work.

This year, Cubs relief pitcher Hector Rondon is appealing to a supernatural power with something more potent: Sexual Paris by Michel Germain.

Moments before the start of every game, Rondon spritzes himself with the alluring cologne, covering his neck and then some. “My chest, too,” he said.

The Cubs have advanced to the National League Championship Series on the strength of many important traits, among them extraordinary depth, exquisite defense and superb starting pitching. They may also have the best-smelling bullpen in baseball.

Pedro Strop, who combines with Rondon to form an essential late-inning relief tandem, shares his teammate’s superstition. To Strop, the smell of victory begins with the scent of L’Homme by Yves Saint Laurent, a bottle of which sits on a shelf in his locker.

“I always say, ‘You smell good, you perform good,’” Strop said.

Most ballplayers use something to reduce the body odor produced by sweat-inducing activity. It’s called deodorant. Far fewer go so far as to add perfume to their pregame routine, for the same reason few of them apply hairspray before putting on a cap: It would seem futile.

But when Strop, born in the Dominican Republic, and Rondon, a native of Venezuela, step on the mound, they exude an unparalleled combination of arm strength and French sophistication.

“They’re the best-smelling players I’ve ever seen—by far,” Cubs bench coach Dave Martinez said. “You go up to them and shake their hand and…” He took a long, loud sniff. “They smell good.”

Relief pitchers tend to be a team within a team. Their lockers are often in the same area of the clubhouse, and during games, they typically share a bench in the bullpen, separate from the dugout. Many of them even walk out to the bullpen together, which for the Cubs has become akin to strolling past the fragrance counter at Macy’s.

“You go to the bullpen and it’s like, ‘Y’all going out tonight or something?’” Cubs reliever Carl Edwards Jr. said.

Odd as it may seem, Rondon and Strop may be onto something. Last year’s World Series champion, the Kansas City Royals, featured two players, catcher Salvador Perez and shortstop Alcides Escobar, who wore Victoria’s Secret perfume during games. They believed it helped them play better.

David Ortiz, who just finished his legendary career with the Boston Red Sox, wore cologne during the team’s 2013 title run. “It’s the good luck smell,” said Cubs catcher David Ross, who played on the 2013 Red Sox.

Germain, the Canadian perfumer, said Sexual Paris is not made with athletes in mind. Priced at up to $84 per bottle, its primary purpose is to arouse members of the opposite sex. But Germain said such fragrances also instill confidence that can help athletes perform better, particularly with certain scents.

“Mandarin orange, even a basil is incredible,” Germain said. “They’re very invigorating.”
Cubs manager Joe Maddon is no stranger to the power of smell. In early 2014, while managing the Tampa Bay Rays, Maddon had a problem: His team stunk. To help pull the Rays out of last place, he brought several bottles of old cologne to the ballpark one day and put them on a table for players to try. The team responded with a much-needed victory. “Aroma still matters,” Maddon wrote on Twitter that night.

But the scent of the Cubs’ bullpen is of the pitchers’ own making. Strop, 31 years old, picked up the habit years ago from a teammate in the minor leagues, an infielder named Esteban German.

“I was always like, ‘You’re going to be sweating right now, why are you using cologne?’” Strop said. “He was like, ‘Exactly! I don’t want to smell. I want to smell good.’”

Rondon, 28, adopted the routine late last year, having spent the better part of three seasons admiring the scent of Strop. Together, they have been both the nose and the heart of the Cubs’ bullpen, which was further fortified by the midseason acquisition of closer Aroldis Chapman. During the NLCS, which begins Saturday in Chicago, they will serve as a vital bridge between the Cubs’ starters and Chapman.

It seems fitting that Maddon uses them as almost interchangeable pieces. The two of them play catch together before games, their lockers at Wrigley Field are just a few feet away from each other and they will often critique each other’s performance.

“They keep an eye on each other like they’re brothers,” Cubs bullpen coach Lester Strode said.

But the most distinctive thing Rondon and Strop share is a firm belief that a refined smell leads to an elegant performance. Strop is already on his second bottle of cologne this season. Between home and road games, he emptied a bottle of Paco Rabanne 1 Million earlier in the year. But his current selection should last him through October.

If the Cubs win the World Series, Strop said he plans to wear it for the parade.

$72403723.jpg

Thanks for sharing the article. Are there any well-heeled members on this forum that would be willing to ship a case of Tom Ford to my Nats?

Top Bottom