What's new

What has happened to the Old Spice brand?

OS..saturate the market with schlock bodywash, pitstick etc but still want me to pay almost 20 (where I am) for AS ?
C'mon.

Thank you, saimento! A good man has to pamper himself somehow. Best way to do it is with a nice shave.

I have the Indian OS Original and Fresh Lime. Need to try Musk next...

Save your money as the Indian version of OS Musk smells exactly like the current Aqua Velva Musk and their OS Lime scent wears off in a few minutes to regular Old Spice.

Save your money as the Indian version of OS Musk smells exactly like the current Aqua Velva Musk and their OS Lime scent wears off in a few minutes to regular Old Spice.

Thanks for the warning! I blind bought Aqua Velva Musk at my CVS a few years ago and I detest it! It just smells bland. As for OS Lime... It actually last a while on me. After an 8 hour work day, I can still smell a hint of lime with the original OS scent.

Brethren,

I suggest it's futile to argue over something that is subjective as the scent of an after shave. Any scent and every scent will have its admirers and its protestors.

I've always liked Old Spice, for its ability to make the skin soft and pleasant, as well as for its scent, though I confess I haven't used it in many years.

I will be the first to say that I miss the original Shulton version in the glass bottle. I especially miss the holiday limited releases that Shulton was famous for. With that said, as pathetic as the new version is compared to the old Shulton version, I can’t let go. I’m still an Old Spice addict through and through.
56CECAF1-19E3-4D57-8FCE-A22C887A3612.jpeg
078E9E66-B60D-4814-932B-68B65CB39A56.jpeg
F89C2DCA-3079-4C50-8AE9-3BF6C12FB663.jpeg
0A60BE82-7B97-4AB1-B6DA-1078D1B876A6.jpeg
6F4A38C1-C17C-4C51-B5F3-EBAA434B7C2A.jpeg
7C740493-7CFA-4995-A66E-A36DB11B3FE1.jpeg
171737A4-068B-4947-B8A3-D031A9EC0E56.jpeg
F2D7D28E-04A9-4E48-BEA2-BD0760526533.jpeg
86BE2941-1005-4D08-B5C3-1FD48B649CFD.jpeg
A6184943-DE3E-4411-9833-EE097B8B02AF.jpeg

Boy, Oh, Boy! Those boxes are for me!
Gonna start buying the Classic scent body wash, High Endurance deodorant, after shave, and cologne in bulk off Amazon. Maybe even the Pure Sport After shave, deodorant, and body spray for summer. The Indian versions could be a once in a while treat.

If you ask me...they dropped the ball BIG TIME with that 80th Anniversary. Like I said before...Old Spice will be all deodorant and body washes....

SGH, how are the Paste and Spiffy Pomade? I've tried the Putty and wasn't happy with it. And I really like the Fiber Wax.

I will be the first to say that I miss the original Shulton version in the glass bottle. I especially miss the holiday limited releases that Shulton was famous for. With that said, as pathetic as the new version is compared to the old Shulton version, I can’t let go. I’m still an Old Spice addict through and through.
View attachment 935848 View attachment 935849 View attachment 935850 View attachment 935851 View attachment 935852 View attachment 935853 View attachment 935854 View attachment 935855 View attachment 935856 View attachment 935857

Lovely collection!! :a29::a29:

No doubt it was an iconic brand back in the day. But like many great things it's a shadow of it's former self and I'm afraid it's gone the way of the Dodo bird, Milk Man, SH Green stamps, the 8 Track, Common Sense and Sears.

Personally i think the whole old spice thing is overblown. They still produce their classic scent and have managed to stay relevant regardless of era which is a feat in and of itself. I’m only 34 so my memory of old spice is as a cologne and deodorant, but it’s something i used in middleschool, highschool, college and still today. Any scent based business needs to evolve or die, so the fact that they still make a classic aftershave is good enough for me. I’d rather have a few limited “classic” products than see the compamy itself go under. Do i wish they still had shave soap and cool glass bottles? Of course. But if they’re in business it means they may rerelease stuff down the line. If they’re bankrupt they’re gone.

Any scent based business needs to evolve or die, so the fact that they still make a classic aftershave is good enough for me. I’d rather have a few limited “classic” products than see the compamy itself go under. Do i wish they still had shave soap and cool glass bottles? Of course. But if they’re in business it means they may rerelease stuff down the line. If they’re bankrupt they’re gone.

You're right, Macduff. I should count my blessings and be glad they're still around to begin with. And still produce the classic scent. I never had any intention of turning my back on the company anyway (as so many other wet shavers already have). In fact, Old Spice has always been the one I crawl back to if I ever changed my scent for whatever reason. Lately, I've stuck with OS full time with a few 'high end' choices at hand for special occasions. The scent of Old Spice will always put me at ease and take me back.

View attachment 935848 View attachment 935849 View attachment 935850 View attachment 935851 View attachment 935852 View attachment 935853 View attachment 935854 View attachment 935855 View attachment 935856 View attachment 935857

New Slogan: Stock Up like a Man, Man.

My memory of OS was of my Dad using it in the 60s through early 70s. However faulty olfactory memory is (as is memory in general), the "classic" scent has changed somewhat, but not radically to my nose. Funny thing is, I've never felt compelled to use the stuff myself. :001_rolle

If i measure by what i see in my local stores id think all they made was a million different deodorants with outdoorsy names. Ive used it for years but needed a change. Bye felicia.

I purchased 5 tube of Old Spice (Natural) cream via Amazon. They came from India via Germany, by mail. I love the cream's results. I have extensive trouble with smelling because my nose has been broken several times (HS Football and 'Daddely' will you 'rassle' me by my then 3-year old stepson).

I have a bunch of those tubes as well. Excellent lather. I also have a few old pucks. Only use them on the special occasions when I treat myself to a 3 pass shave.

The only old spice product I use is there deodorant/antiperspirant. I use the citron scent. To me it's a good adult scent that's worth checking out. Its based off of sandalwood and lime.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I have to agree with others that if the Old Spice brand didn’t adapt to newer tastes, it would probably would have gone away all together. I still think it would cool if P&G would throw shaving enthusiasts a bone every once in a while. Isn’t AoS a P&G brand too? How hard would it be for AoS to make a new Old Spice shaving soap or at least sell glass bottles of OS at AoS stores or something? Maybe a gift set that includes a reissued shaving mug.

I have to agree with others that if the Old Spice brand didn’t adapt to newer tastes, it would probably would have gone away all together. I still think it would cool if P&G would throw shaving enthusiasts a bone every once in a while. Isn’t AoS a P&G brand too? How hard would it be for AoS to make a new Old Spice shaving soap or at least sell glass bottles of OS at AoS stores or something? Maybe a gift set that includes a reissued shaving mug.

Just looked that up... my God, you're right.
Would it kill them to do any of that?

I have had a bottle since I was a kid of the Shulton OS cologne in a glass bottle for so long I can't even remember. It may even be from the 80's for all I know. I may have around 70% of it left since I stopped using it around the time my grandfather died in '96. I can't bring myself to use it anymore only because I know once it's gone....that's it. Some times it's tough being a student of the old school...

Just looked that up... my God, you're right.
Would it kill them to do any of that?

It's all about market positioning. The point of everything in this thread is, P&G has repositioned Old Spice as its mainline men's skin care product line, to compete with Axe and similar. That's why its product lineup looks the way that it does. It riffs on the retro masculine feel without pushing the old scents which no longer sell in the kind of quantity that P&G is going to require to maintain the product- the Classic scents are pretty much just along for the ride.

At some point, maybe 5 or 10 years from now, the retro market will feel out of date, become unpopular, and then P&G will probably create or acquire a different brand more in tune with the current zeitgeist, and then Old Spice will be sold or dropped and that will be the end of all of it.

AoS is positioned as a premium line for guys in their 30s and 40s with money. That kind of buyer is not looking for hilariously outdated shaving mugs with a giant blue boat on them, or their grandpa's spicy cologne. The nautical stuff has been on the outs since The Love Boat went off the air.

As I blow through my 40s and approach 50, I come to realize that only specialty companies want to market to my demographic because we don't spend enough money and aren't motivated by advertising, so there's no profit in it. You can sell young men's products to old men, but you can't sell old men's products to young men. So it's ever been.

Top Bottom