What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Rex Ambassador (#3)
Blade: Lord Platinum (1)
Brush: Simpsons Emperor 3
Cream: Simpsons Shaving Cream
Rating: 9/10.

Effortless, super smooth lather and razor glide. Not that close, but good enough for lockdown presentation.
shave.jpg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Razor:Merkur 34C
Blade:Feather
Brush:Ice pure Badger
Soap:MWF

I think I made a breakthrough with the MWF today, at the expense of my brush which deposited most of it’s hair on the puck. Stop buying soaps.....get quality brush. A good shave and something approximating lather is encouraging. Nice post shave feel.
8/10

Razor: Zeva 3 piece, brass over stainless steel
Blade: Vidyut Super Platinum
Brush: 2 band silvertip 24mm knot from Maggard Razors in a hybrid resin and burl wood from Frickwerkz
Soap: Proraso in the blue tube mixed with the last of my sandalwood shaving soap from Puerto Rico
Post shave: Osma alum, very warm wash cloth to wipe off and Clubman Pinaud regular scent.

A perfect shave in my opinion. I know the Vidyut blades have a reputation for inconsistent quality but the second one out of the tuck had just the right amount of sharpness combined with the weight of the razor to glide right through 3 days of growth with no skipping or tugging. Not to mention experimenting mixing Proraso with a glycerin and kaolin based shaving soap from PR makes some of the smoothest lather I've ever seen .

A big story.....

Yesterday, I received about ten soap samples, an R89 and a razor from bay which I bought for $6.00 just for the handle and not the razor.
To my surprise, the $6.00 was an exact copy of R89. There were imperfections, but that was it. A copy. I decided to use both, the R89 and the copy at the same time. Half face for each... and yes, with same Wilkinson (3) blade, changing each time and having three passes.
There was NO difference at all. Very mild shave from both razors with exactly same (pleasant) results.

On the other hand, I started using my sample soaps. Foe all my samples, I decided to use only two brushes from my den. Simpson's Chubby 2 Manchurian and Shavemac DO1 2 Band. The reason is that I wanted to have the best from the samples using these two top brushes.

My first sample was Stirling / Dressed Man. The scent was not great, and the lather, one of the worse ever. I never had such a problem with a soap like this one. I know that Stirling has too many funs, - that's the reason I took the sample- but I will see tomorrow with the next Stirling sample....

Razor : R89 and an imitation/copy of $6.00 R89 from bay.
Blade : Wilkinson (3)
Brush : Simpson's Chubby 2 Manchurian
Soap : Dressed Man / Stirling - sample - (worse experience)

WTG--->XTG--->ATG DFS 9.0/10.0 (It could be 10.0 if Stirling soap was o.k for me).

Another 24-hour beard -- though as I did not plane myself off very closely yesterday, today's beard was closer to that of 30 hours or so

'56 Gillette Red Tip; Eddison Stainless blade (2)

TOBS Peppermint Cream

EJ badger brush

Clubman SR aftershave, no-name skin lotion, Clubman powder

Showered; a little of the TOBS as a pre-shave, then lathered; cool water (as cool as it ever gets here in July, that is). One pass on cheeks and lower lip, two passes plus a clean-up on throat.

Not sure if I like this blade in the Red Tip. I had the feeling that if I'd tried for a second pass on my face or a third on my throat, I'd have wound up with some irritation. However, the result is clean and more than socially acceptable. Verdict: 8.8.

Daily Shave: 15 July 2020

Fixed 4 For Any Month—Day-15

DSCF2175.JPG

Prep
: Face wash with antibacterial soap
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Feather (Blade #4) Shave #1 2 passes + buffing
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe Using distilled water and salsa bowl
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Post: Rinsed face, followed up with a Witch Hazel wipe down.
Rating: 10.0 / 10.0 BBS Perfect shave, with no stubble, weepers or nicks, despite being a break- in 1st shave. Will be a busy day, the wife has a Mammogram this morning, check on our son’s puppy, and then out to lunch.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Soap: Arko
Brush: Semogue Pharos
Razor: Timeless SS .68 w/scalloped head & base w/Blackland Dart handle
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (German) (2)
AS: Lustray Spice

I have nothing unusual to report. When I was lathering the Arko, I had a little too much bloom water in the bowl initially. I worked it and Arko recovered from my mistake very nicely. I went old school on the soap and splash today. Feels good.

Happy shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20200715.jpg

A big story.....

Yesterday, I received about ten soap samples, an R89 and a razor from bay which I bought for $6.00 just for the handle and not the razor.
To my surprise, the $6.00 was an exact copy of R89. There were imperfections, but that was it. A copy. I decided to use both, the R89 and the copy at the same time. Half face for each... and yes, with same Wilkinson (3) blade, changing each time and having three passes.
There was NO difference at all. Very mild shave from both razors with exactly same (pleasant) results.

On the other hand, I started using my sample soaps. Foe all my samples, I decided to use only two brushes from my den. Simpson's Chubby 2 Manchurian and Shavemac DO1 2 Band. The reason is that I wanted to have the best from the samples using these two top brushes.

My first sample was Stirling / Dressed Man. The scent was not great, and the lather, one of the worse ever. I never had such a problem with a soap like this one. I know that Stirling has too many funs, - that's the reason I took the sample- but I will see tomorrow with the next Stirling sample....

Razor : R89 and an imitation/copy of $6.00 R89 from bay.
Blade : Wilkinson (3)
Brush : Simpson's Chubby 2 Manchurian
Soap : Dressed Man / Stirling - sample - (worse experience)

WTG--->XTG--->ATG DFS 9.0/10.0 (It could be 10.0 if Stirling soap was o.k for me).

My personal break through with Stirling was when I accidently over watered as I built the lather and it popped. Maybe try adding some extra water after you think you have enough, it is known as a bit of a thirsty soap.

KM

Well I thought yesterday I would take the day off from shaving this morning. I took my daughter to get a hair cut last night, then got one myself. Ya know I can't go to work with a fresh cut and stubble on the face.

SOOO.... I decided to do a bit of a modified shave. A zero pressure WTG first pass. A hybred ATG/XTG 2nd pass. A 3rd pass of just the jaw line. A few stubble spots but I just wanted to knock down a majority and that was accomplished. I really can't believe how different the GEM JR shaves compared to my other SE stuff. I also may try this handle on other heads, I like the way it feels. Soap and splash were excellent and I got to toss some Florida Water on. Same red dots in the same spots again. Grr.

7.3/10

KM

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200715063540824_COVER.jpg

Wed shave 2.jpg

Wednesday’s Shave

I went with Grooming Dept. Mallard RC soap today. I will be alternating this soap with others over the next few days. Today I used my Rudy Vey brush that has a Muhle Silvertip Fibre knot. Since this is Wednesday the razor is a Wolfman SS SB WR2 1.05 mm razor loaded with a Personna Medical Prep blade. Today’s aftershave is Thayers Rose Petal WH and Neutrogena Triple Protect. The fragrance was Yves Saint Laurent. A perfect 10 shave.

Razor: Gillette 1957 Blue Tip SuperSpeed
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharpedge (Russian Yellow) (2)
Brush: DScosmetic 25mm Boar/Badger mix
Lather: Tabac Original
Aftershave: Stirling Glacial Obsidian (Splash)
79320A5A-A77D-4902-9E54-658F688B4EE3.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10
Move Along, Move Along...Nothing to See Here..Move Along
Nothing cool or far out happening with today’s shave. I mean how could anything possibly go wrong or surprise anyone in any way. A mild Gillette Blue Tip razor with a Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharpedge and Tabac lather. You can’t get anymore basic than that. Might as well as just phoned it in. Heck, I hardly even needed to be here for this shave.
Slapping on that freezing Aftershave was kinda fun though.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wed, July 15th 2020

Razor: Razorock Mission- Mfg 2014> I receive great results usually, mid aggression with great Efficiency.
Blade:Pol Silver SI (1) A nice blade sharp and smooth, I like to cork it once.
Soap: Razorock Lavender- great scent & excellent lather qualities IMO.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm "Sagrada Familia"- great brush that lathers any soap well in my soap rotation,soft tips!
Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Prorazo green with Witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my RR mission razor & polsilver SI.

DE SOTD, Wed, July 15 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom