What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

IMG_2775.JPG

9.9/10 Fist shave with my "new" Birth quarter/year slim
Razor/Blade: 1965 K4 Gillette Slim/7 o'clock green
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Soap: B&M Cologne Russe
AS: B&M Cologne Russe

Sunday July 12th

Birthday shave with new Paladin! Had gone over a week, full bearded mug needed an effortless shave... So I went to ol reliable.

Razor: Imperial Extra Hollow
Brush: Paladin 28mm Beehive
Strop: TM Heirloom HH
Pre: Barber Bond serum
Soap: Began with ToOBS... Needed a tad more so I dabbed a puck of Eufros

Rating: solid 9

View attachment 1125212
happy belated birthday!!!!!

camo

Tuesdays shave 1.jpg

Today I went with GD Amare. I used a Shavemac 177 Silvertip brush I picked up some time ago at the Sue Auction. This was my first Shavemac brush. The brush does a superb job of making lather. I am using my Timeless SS SB .68 razor with the same Personna Lab blade for the 15th excellent shave. I am pleasantly surprised how many quality shaves I have gotten with the razor-blade combo. A four-pass shave. My aftershave was Thayers Rose Petal WH followed by some L'Occtaine ASB. This ASB has turned out to be my favorite: very soothing. After a shower some TOBS Sandalwood Cologne which replaced my GFT of the same flavor. A perfect 10 shave.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
How do you like the brush you are the first person here I have seen using a Je&Co brush?

It's one of my favorite brushes to use. Not that I have it, but it reminds me of the pictures I've seen of the Yaqi brush, Mysterious Space.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Tue, July 14 2020

Razor: Gillette New Long open comb Canadian variant- Mfg 1930's- upper mid range+ excellent razor.
Blade: Gillette 7oClock (black) super platinum (5) one of my favorites.
Soap: Razorock Lavender- great lather qualities & manly scent that has been discontinued !:crying:
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 24mm synthetic - great lathering brush, closest to a broke in boar brush without scritch.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results : 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + minor irritation + 1 weeper= Excellent shave with my Gillette New long comb 1930's Canadian variant.

DE SOTD , Tue, July 14 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

My daddy didn't raise no quitter... So back at it today. The GEM Jr does have its own personality. It is more aggressive then I give it credit for and with the closeness of the shaves I can almost go every other day. I will test this theory and not shave tomorrow.

I did put the menthol drops in the soap and splash too. I am starting to like menthol and I again blame the fellow members of this board.

I like the scent and next spring I will be diving deeper into "citrus" scents.

Had a few red dots and that will be the reason for the lower score again.

7.6/10

KM

IMG_20200714_063316.jpg

My daddy didn't raise no quitter... So back at it today. The GEM Jr does have its own personality. It is more aggressive then I give it credit for and with the closeness of the shaves I can almost go every other day. I will test this theory and not shave tomorrow.

I did put the menthol drops in the soap and splash too. I am starting to like menthol and I again blame the fellow members of this board.

I like the scent and next spring I will be diving deeper into "citrus" scents.

Had a few red dots and that will be the reason for the lower score again.

7.6/10

KM

View attachment 1125545
Beautiful. Love the dog bowl.

Razor: Timeless Bronze TRBR38
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Brush: Ever-Ready 250 Pure Badger Cased
Pre-Shave: L'Occitane Cade Shave Oil
Lather: Long Rifle Brown Bess
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 10
PSX_20200713_155732.jpg

Razor: Colonial Silversmith with Weber handle
Blade: GSB - 2
Brush: PAA The Starcraft
Lather: Razorock Barbershop
Pre shave: PAA The Cube
Aftershave: Epsilon Blue Mediterranean
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel / Hyaluronic Acid/Every Man Jack Face Lotion
10/10 DFS
Shave71420.jpg

Excellent shave today. Second time using the Colonial Silversmith. This time I paired it with with a GSB on it's second use. Great combo, smooth and efficient. I also used The Cube for the first time and it did add some slickness to the Barbershop soap. The soap also pairs really well with the Epsilon AS. Wife approved!
3 pass shave. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation. And no missed spots! BBS

JCarr

J.R. Torrey Co.
Chiseled Face/Zoologist Macaque
19mm Rubberset S1
Miller Strop

20200714_085237.jpg

took the day off to begin putting in bamboo flooring. very nice soap collaborated with zoologistperfumes.com.
would absolutley love to purchase some of their scents but in my world that's on the high end of $$$.

be well all.

10/10

camo

Interesting soap, comrade...classy looking and yet...non-descript on the scent. Curiosity is building...what's it smell like?

My Tuesday Morning Shave
Prep: Shower including hair conditioner on face​
Three pass shave: WTG, ATG & XTG​
Rockwell 6S #3 Plate​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: WSP The "Duchess" White in Silvertip​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 9.0/10 Two nicks, could have been smoother​
  • The first dip into the soap was enough to carry through three passes. Loving this soap!!!

My Bastille Day shave:

Bastille Day.jpg

I really enjoy my French razors, so I thought I'd make up a special shave for Bastille Day. From left to right:

1st pass - Wardonia Standard - made in France and accepts standard blades. The handle is from a Durham DuBarry set but the business end is all French. Wardonias of any origin are at or near the top of my DE rotation.

2nd pass - Famex - reminiscent of the LeCoq cage head, the base is a big spring that serves to adjust the aggression depending on how tight or loose the handle is screwed on.

3rd pass - Leresche short-screw 3 piece. Not much to say, it's what the Gillettes wanted to be when they grew up.

4th pass and touch-up - Best for last, the Gibbs adjustable. This is the model that doesn't completely disassemble, for those in the know about these wonderful instruments.

The soap: Pre de Provence, great stuff. I have a puck of PdP 63 around here somewhere too but I couldn't lay my hands on it. Both are superb.

Now for the blade. I was lamenting not getting around to picking up a bunch of NOS Gibbs Velours stainless blades on the bay last year and was all ready to use a non-French blade, when I remembered a tuck of Gibbs Mince carbon blades that came with one of my Gibbs adjustables, complete with the Gibbs notched tabs. I normally wouldn't try to use a 50+ year old blade, but this gave me a chance to try out the Sharpen-M-All stropper that I bought to experiment on some old Durham blades I have. Wouldn't you know the Durham attachment was missing, but the standard blade holder isn't, so I ran the NOS Gibbs carbon blade through it, and it came out pretty darn good. The shave wasn't tuggy or rough like you'd expect, very smooth, close and comfortable. Now I have another rabbit hole to jump down - vintage carbon blades.

Now I have to plan my shave for Guy Fawkes day.

Interesting soap, comrade...classy looking and yet...non-descript on the scent. Curiosity is building...what's it smell like?

slight hint of green apple.....but I smell too many other things in the background on this one. but in a good way. maybe jasmine.....wood.....?????

awesome scent that I kept smelling other things as time passed some.

nice glass jar that curves inward from the lip.

camo

JCarr

slight hint of green apple.....but I smell too many other things in the background on this one. but in a good way. maybe jasmine.....wood.....?????

awesome scent that I kept smelling other things as time passed some.

nice glass jar that curves inward from the lip.

camo

Their Bay Rum is actually pretty good. It's mentholated, which I wasn't too crazy about, but it's got a nice scent.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tech Tuesday Shave 20200714
20200714_120621~2.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1947 Tech/NEW Hybrid (England), Charcoal Goods Copper 'Dimpled' Handle
Blade: Kai (5)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive w/24mm Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Cologne: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Shaving with the Gillette Hybrid Tech is truly "Just Like Buttah". :001_wub:

The Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Soap, Aftershave and Cologne combination is awesome. :001_wub:

Wonderful shave! :)

Last edited:
Late morning shave. Shower, VDH pre-shave oil, Fine Accoutrements Italian Citrus soap whipped up with a trusty Semogue 1305. Double pass SR shave (first pass was Heaven) with a modded GD 208

20200209_100934_HDR.jpg

followed by third pass with my beloved Valet Auto Strop SE Model C open comb razor with Feather SS blade (mostly to do the back of my neck).

20200330_085809_HDR.jpg

No cuts, no weepers followed by generous splash of F.A. Italian Citrus A/S.

BBS, and very comfortable.

would give a 10/10 but I never give anything 10 so we will say 9/10.

Does it get any better?

Yes it does! After running errands all afternoon, I had a surprise and very attractive drop in dinner guest. After she used my bathroom she asked me all sorts of questions about my SR, brush, soap etc. which were sitting out. She remarked that must be why my skin looks so good. When she left, I returned a call from another lady and made a date with her for Friday afternoon.

None of this ever happened when I shaved with an electric!

Last edited:
Top Bottom