What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

There is a right way and a wrong way to glue your nose back on
1673821340676.png

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Olive oil. Pre-shave oil or shave oil and post-shave balm (after aftershave splash applied and washed off).

Also, one drop is borderline too much as pre-shave oil.

That I can get a good shave (BBS, no blood, no irritation) with a Derby Extra blade. I have 100 in my pile-O-blades, so I figured I should try one.

All of this to say: I can't tell any difference between blades. I'm sure there ARE differences, maybe at the microscopic or molecular level, but I'm apparently too dense to detect any.

So far, I've yet to encounter a brand of DE blade that I couldn't shave with.
Totally concur.
I know the Derby Extra takes a lot of flak but I've used one many times, including this morning, and find it to be a perfectly nice blade.
I also can't tell much difference between blades. I seem to have had some irritation issues with Voskhods and Gillette Silver Blues, for some reason, but they're relatively minor. I've tried a good number of blades now and they all work to one degree or another although my two preferences (so far) are Astra SP's and, yes, the aforementioned Derby Extras.

Totally concur.
I know the Derby Extra takes a lot of flak but I've used one many times, including this morning, and find it to be a perfectly nice blade.
I also can't tell much difference between blades. I seem to have had some irritation issues with Voskhods and Gillette Silver Blues, for some reason, but they're relatively minor. I've tried a good number of blades now and they all work to one degree or another although my two preferences (so far) are Astra SP's and, yes, the aforementioned Derby Extras.

It's funny. I like to look at the posts that were made when this forum first started, just to get a sense of the trends back then.

No surprise that in the razor blade forum, in the "favorite blade" type threads, Derby Extras were actually quite popular, and were mentioned much more than I would have expected.

It's funny. I like to look at the posts that were made when this forum first started, just to get a sense of the trends back then.

No surprise that in the razor blade forum, in the "favorite blade" type threads, Derby Extras were actually quite popular, and were mentioned much more than I would have expected.
Very true, flavor of the day. Funny how now they are looked down upon by an awful lot of people. I used them back then and still to this day. They are still the same blades, now on too new favorites

My last shave was the first for me with a Gillette Tech (a near-pristine gold '46-'49 ball end I picked up on the Bay last week) and holy cow that's one sweet-shaving razor. I threw a 7 o'clock green in there and it almost felt like there wasn't a blade in there at all.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I learned that I'm lazy because I don't stretch my skin when I'm shaving anymore. I'm participating in the One Blade in February challenge and have been trying to baby the blade, 2 passes instead of 3 (w/x). Turns out I can get a DFS with 2 passes if I take the time to set the alum block on the counter, pass my fingers across it and pull my neck tight.

Top Bottom