What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I made lathers with too little soap for the amount of water used my last two shaves (getting familiar with a boar brush) and the runny, SV-scented water was much, much slicker than the same mess with Wickham’s.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I learned I wasn't stupid to buy this huge brush.

7-20-23.Mergress.Mike's.Mozingo29mm.640.JPG

The knot is a Mozingo ZT4 which is either 29 mm or 28 mm XD, or both, depending on how one thinks about it. The handle by Rudy Vey is a huge, 77 mm in height, Polo 12 size. It is the largest of my knots, I think, and the largest of my handles, for sure, and the tallest of my brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I learned that I have yet to find a suitable blade/technique combo that makes the Merkur 42C work for my face, as much as I like it in my hand. I also learned that a 40's style Super Speed with a Treet Platinum can rescue the disaster that the 42C was making of this shave.

I made lathers with too little soap for the amount of water used my last two shaves (getting familiar with a boar brush) and the runny, SV-scented water was much, much slicker than the same mess with Wickham’s.
I had a, um, run, like that not too long ago. A few shaves in a row where I just didn't get enough soap. I hear guys talking about loading for 20 seconds and I just have to ignore that stuff. I don't care if I have to keep twenty soaps around, which I probably do anyway, I'll load for five minutes if I have to.

After being away for twelve days on a cruise and city touring at both ends in Barcelona and Rome with an airplane shave on the way over I learned how satisfied I am with my home kit but also how changes are easily doable.

On the airplane I used a Bic Sensitive, a razor that will work but only when I can’t use a DE.

To save time in the morning on early excursion days on the ship I showered and shaved in the fitness center changing room. This necessitated cold water shaves. I prefer hot water.

Other than on the airplane, I used Tabac (tallow). I much prefer MdC my daily soap or Haslinger, the soap left at a friend’s house.

I used two brushes, a Simpson Major which mysteriously stopped shedding profusely after about a 2 year hiatus on days where there was sufficient drying time and a Muhle STF Turnback brush when less drying time was available. Both worked well.

My SS Blackbird was superb throughout but lacks the nimbleness of the Ti Bird.

It is good to be home.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If you’re worried your shave was so gentle that you’ll miss that sting from the aftershave, just make sure you have a hangnail and problem solved.

Top Bottom