What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

That I can get a good shave (BBS, no blood, no irritation) with a Derby Extra blade. I have 100 in my pile-O-blades, so I figured I should try one.

All of this to say: I can't tell any difference between blades. I'm sure there ARE differences, maybe at the microscopic or molecular level, but I'm apparently too dense to detect any.

So far, I've yet to encounter a brand of DE blade that I couldn't shave with.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I might have made some advancements in "buffing". @Cal gave me some guidance in that regard. I might still have it wrong, but I tried using very small strokes with the razor in contact with my skin on both forward and backward strokes, just lifting the handle slightly on the backstroke. I'm sure I had read this but wasn't putting it into practice.

It worked very well on my problem area: mainly on the insides of my chin, I think that commonly referred to as the "Van Dyke" area, but I wouldn't mind someone giving a better description.

I might have made some advancements in "buffing". @Cal gave me some guidance in that regard. I might still have it wrong, but I tried using very small strokes with the razor in contact with my skin on both forward and backward strokes, just lifting the handle slightly on the backstroke. I'm sure I had read this but wasn't putting it into practice.
The majority of my shave is done with "buffing style" strokes, Kim. Please note that most of these strokes are longer than "normal" buffing strokes (but I do use normal short buffing strokes too).

On the backstroke (blade remaining on the skin) I keep the handle in the same position as I use for the forward stroke. Apart from being less to think about, I find that doing it that way is best for the "automatic re-lathering" the blade does on its reverse trip. (Whenever possible KISS, less is more, etc.)

TL;DR Don't be afraid to try something different.

I have about a dozen brushes that were moved to the back of the closet and haven't been used since January. They were removed from the rotation for one reason or another but mostly for being too floppy.

I face-lather almost exclusively but last weekend I tried building lather in a bowl with a synthetic brush. I got it done but I wasn't impressed because it seemed to take longer than I felt should have been necessary.

The following day I tried again with a mixed badger/boar brush with totally different results. The same amount of soap (yes, I weighed it), same bowl, but a different process; I pressed the soap into the bottom of the bowl and added just enough water to cover it. I let the soap sit for a few minutes while I soaked the brush in preparation for my shave.

I shook the water from the brush and started building lather in the bowl. I was presented with an abundance of lather after about a minute or two (sorry, I didn't time it). I didn't introduce any additional water other than what was remaining in the brush and already in the bowl.

I figured the difference had to be more than just the brush, so I tried again this morning with the same process but using the synthetic brush from the weekend. The lather produced was more than enough for several passes and another wonderful shaving experience.

My takeaway is don't be so quick to give up on the equipment; it could be the process or technique that needs to change.

The banished brushes have been brought back into the fold. I plan to face-lather with the lower loft-to-knot ratio brushes. The others considered to be too floppy or with too much scritch (I'm looking at you Eagle G3 Pure) will be used with the bowl. Yet another method to introduce a bit of variety into the shaving activity.

Sorry for the long rant, but I guess I just needed to vent share. :cool:

Be well and stay safe...

Started playing with different blades again. Bolzano gave great results, but I've paid with blood every time I tried it in a couple of different razors. Tried PermaSharp with my R89 and was wonderfully mild and efficient. Stubborn hairs on the neck are still there, but not too visible and ATG wasn't painful as with R41 which I normally use.

Some combinations are ‘classic’ for the great reason that they work together so well! For example, this AM I used MWF followed by a Speick splash: simply bliss!!

:shaving::shaving::shaving:
I almost always mix soaps and splashes. For instance, I LOVE TOBS Sandalwood cream while I'm shaving with it but I don't want to smell like it all day. Matter of fact, it's so lingering already that I use an unscented aftershave with that product. I do match two or three shaving soaps/creams but that's about it. The rest is wide open. I have about 20 soaps and creams in rotation and about 6-7 scented aftershaves.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
You can sometimes find a razor that will not shave the way you love and still love the way it shaves. Or hate the way it shaves and understand why some people torque them into aftermarket slant razors…

Definitely have to work on figuring out the optimal angle for an open comb razor along with judging blade feel vs the teeth itself. Trying to do a scooping motion under the nose feels like I am dragging bare blade on my skin. But other than that, I'm satisfied with the results of the Lupo 95.

Some combinations are ‘classic’ for the great reason that they work together so well! For example, this AM I used MWF followed by a Speick splash: simply bliss!!

:shaving::shaving::shaving:
Coincidentally, I used the exact same two products today!

How’s that working out for you? My neck always keeps me away from these plans.
It was for the sake of my neck that I went this way. WTG is the only hope for the neck zone sometimes. The shallow angle gives me some cutting gusto but staying WTG keeps me from removing a layer of skin and inviting infection.

thombrogan

Got it and hope that pans out for you. I’m not good at shaving ATG, but it’s the only thing I enjoy unless my blade is stupid sharp and I lost my honing touch years ago (and it was probably never good enough for razors anyways).

thombrogan

I have no need for any shave brush besides my AP ShaveCo Cashmere brush. Does everything I want the way I want it done.

Of course, being stupid, I have — and likely will — bought brushes since getting it, but it’s simply wonderful

editing to ask: @noodles hovar , are you still endeavoring with your WTG-only gossamer-light passes with the RazoRock “German” 37 razor?

Top Bottom