What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I learned it’s possible to apply too much soap and have it not feel like too much soap is used by only using painting strokes.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I discovered that I like Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra Dry Skin: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NR1YQK4/

I learned about it here... don't recall who recommended it... but thx if it was you. I have psoriatic arthritis... and as a result, get these red bumps on my face after a shower. They usually take several hours to disappear but after using this product, they were all gone in under an hour. Of course, as "we" always say... YMMV.

One must adapt to new hardware and software.
Beat me to it. Just shaved with my new Slim adjustable. Even on 9 it was a tad less aggressive than my Parker open comb, and I had it down on 8 when I got a couple of weepers, which I hadn't done in quite some time. I was going a bit too fast because it was smoother, and not respecting that I need to go a bit slower until I have a better feel for the new razor.

I think whether a newbie or an experienced shaver, you should always learn something from every shave, no matter what it is.

So, I guess i'll start.

Today I learned not to get greedy looking for a BBS shave, and that a 2 pass with clean ups is enough for a DFS.
I concur wholeheartedly t Martin……Especially when you are recently retired like I am and suddenly not having to shave everyday for the office for the last 43 years!!!👍😊

I learned that synthetic brushes can be great brushes. I recently replaced a terribly shedding Major (after less than 40 uses) with a Muhle STF travel brush and it performed very well. It splayed nicely and had sufficient backbone for me.

During the search for the travel brush, I also purchased an AP Shave Co Blue Lagoon w 22mm Synbad that I am also enjoying. It is similar in size to a Simpson Classic 2. It has a nice splay, sufficient backbone and to my face a slight amount of scrub.

After experiencing and hating a Simpso Classic 1 synthetic, I have learned that synthetic brushes can be very good or very bad but generalizing that they ate bad does us a huge disservice.

I learned that synthetic brushes can be great brushes. I recently replaced a terribly shedding Major (after less than 40 uses) with a Muhle STF travel brush and it performed very well. It splayed nicely and had sufficient backbone for me.

During the search for the travel brush, I also purchased an AP Shave Co Blue Lagoon w 22mm Synbad that I am also enjoying. It is similar in size to a Simpson Classic 2. It has a nice splay, sufficient backbone and to my face a slight amount of scrub.

After experiencing and hating a Simpso Classic 1 synthetic, I have learned that synthetic brushes can be very good or very bad but generalizing that they ate bad does us a huge disservice.
For me synthetic brushes never did well, but that’s just my personal experience

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I learned how much difference it makes when I have somewhere to go and rush my shave. We're retired but had to get out of the house the other day for some needed furniture shopping. We had an hour and a half drive. I shaved with the same razor.. same blade... got in the car and noticed... my upper lip was rough.

I shaved yesterday at my leisure.... almost perfect shave.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yesterday, I confirmed and as a result learned..... some of the B&B members give extremely sound advice. In this case, Tomo and APBinNCA. The both recommended I try Baume.be shaving cream.. and APB suggested I add their pre-shave.

I tried them yesterday... the best shave I've had since I started this journey on Feb 15th.. and I've had quite a few nice ones. This one topped them all.... so nice...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My last shave, I used the Baume.be pre-shave with Canada Shaving Soap.... great combination... Turns out this pre-shave doesn't just work with Baume.be cream..... It's now a settled part of my shaves.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I learned putting my boar brush in a cup of cold water a few hours before shaving (benefit of being a night shaver or a poor sleeper?) makes the bristles superbly soft even if the brush isn’t broken in.

Top Bottom