What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Tonight’s shave cremo and a straight razor, I learned that I went to fast, a couple of nicks and weepers, slowing down is what I need to remember. Same set up as last night with a complete different outcome.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Each shave reveals the little I know, and the vast expanding sea of what I don’t.

Today, the balm application revealed stubble. Yet, an hour later, no stubble. It’s as if my whiskers retracted like a scared turtle. Can’t explain the phenomenon, but it has happened before. Often.

So here’s what I learned: with patience and the right tools, whiskers can be frightened into remission.

View attachment 1410604

Today, the balm application revealed stubble. Yet, an hour later, no stubble. It’s as if my whiskers retracted like a scared turtle. Can’t explain the phenomenon, but it has happened before. Often.

The hysteresis effect. That's what it's called around here. Happens every day.

Happy shaves,

Jim

There is a huge difference between Derby Extra and Derby Premium.

Premium is reliable for smooth sharp performance and a decent number of shaves. (I recently finished a 100 blade purchase)

Extra turns into a butcher extravaganza after shave 2.

Don't give up on the blade !

A blade in OBIF'22 challenge gave two ok shaves after 14 splendid buttery smooth shaves. I gave up on it instead of evaluating the variables and improving.

Today I returned to the blade using proven products and under ideal conditions a fantastic 17th Shave!

Tallow tabac lather is tops for a great shave.

The best prep is no prep- straight razor, boar brush dipped in cold water with yardley bar soap in soap dish. A simple quick comfortable efficient one pass shave. As always just my experience

My New LC is really a comfortable shave. Today went without blood and got a pretty good shave. Still in the learning curve, but it's getting flatter. Don't know how long I'll shave with it before I try another vintage razor, but I'll enjoy it a while longer'

Best things in the wet shaving hobby don't cost much.

The nickel plated all brass Fatip Piccolo open comb razor for 20 bucks in 2014 is the best value for money razor in my wet shaving journey. This is the Mark 1 version with greater blade exposure.

The Piccolo punches way above its price point and gives one of the best shaves equal to if not better than most other higher priced razors.

18th shave with my Super-Max Diamond Edge SP blade in this razor gave an effortless, smooth, close shave !

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Experimenting with different blades in different razors can be an infinite journey.
Some razors shave nicely with about every blade, while some supposedly not so great blades start shining in certain razors.
-> sometimes thinking about geometry and rational explanations gets one nowhere when such miniscule differences matter. Shaving has quite a touch of a chaotic complex system. I think the chaotic element is the human applying the more easily analyzed razor.

And then you get a great shave with a supposedly not so great blade (Shark Super Stainless) and at other times fail when you are quite confident that you can predict that you will like this razor or blade/razor/soap combo or not.

I was bloodily reminded always to concentrate completely on what I am doing whilst handling a straight razor; drying off a kamisori post-shave with a cotton handkerchief, my mind was distracted by something else and, even though my 'muscle memory' is 'tuned' to dry with a stropping motion, I managed slightly to slice into the side a finger...

I was bloodily reminded always to concentrate completely on what I am doing whilst handling a straight razor; drying off a kamisori post-shave with a cotton handkerchief, my mind was distracted by something else and, even though my 'muscle memory' is 'tuned' to dry with a stropping motion, I managed slightly to slice into the side a finger...
If there is a good side to this, you will only do it that one time, hope it wasn’t too bad

Experimenting with different blades in different razors can be an infinite journey.
Some razors shave nicely with about every blade, while some supposedly not so great blades start shining in certain razors.
-> sometimes thinking about geometry and rational explanations gets one nowhere when such miniscule differences matter. Shaving has quite a touch of a chaotic complex system. I think the chaotic element is the human applying the more easily analyzed razor.

And then you get a great shave with a supposedly not so great blade (Shark Super Stainless) and at other times fail when you are quite confident that you can predict that you will like this razor or blade/razor/soap combo or not.
Amen to the shark blade

Best shave ever from a Above The Tie "classic" H1 razor, riding the guard.

Shaves from the high blade exposure classic series plates now have less bite, give closer shaves and more predictable with steep angle shaving.

I guess the blade gets better support from the cap when riding the guard.

Well, after 3 years used my very first DE razor - QShave with original QShave blade.
No idea what happened - just great shave, no cuts, no irritation.

Thinking, that my hands are lighter after using Ever Ready 1912 for last 3 years :)

Top Bottom