What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Top quality tools certainly help but the skill to use those tools is probably more important.

I primarily use one razor at home and a different razor when traveling and there is a whole host of other razors for special occasions or remembrances. Today was such a day and I received a fantastic shave from my Gillette A4 Red Tip Superspeed.

By observation I believe that certain razors may do a better job than others of compensating for less than stellar technique but as technique improves more razors become acceptable or better.

Blackland Vector, OC baseplate: can do a one pass shave using a sort of integrated blade buffing. First stroke going steep, leaving behind enough lather to go back over at a slightly shallower angle. A gentle momentum builds as the pattern is repeated.

A single pass shave today, let's see about tomorrow...

3-pass shaves are purely academic. My best shaves are across/against the grain + buffing touchups done by feel (get your fingers in there and feel as you go where it needs attention). I used to shave all the time this way with my eyes closed in the shower with a multi-blade disposable thing. This technique transfers quite nicely over to DE.

I learnt that I still haven't mastered under my nose or my neck. Sometimes it's brilliant and sometimes a complete failure.
Practice makes perfect I suppose

I learnt that I still haven't mastered under my nose or my neck. Sometimes it's brilliant and sometimes a complete failure.
Practice makes perfect I suppose
Remember, only PERFECT practice makes perfect.

There are so many "experienced" shavers that started off getting lousy shaves, and still get them decades later. Look at what you're doing in the problem areas and experiment. Also, as we get older our skin and whiskers change... so continual "totally aware" practice is a must.

I do my best to keep my SWB on at all times (of course, it doesn't always happen :001_rolle). :wink2:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Remember, only PERFECT practice makes perfect.

There are so many "experienced" shavers that started off getting lousy shaves, and still get them decades later. Look at what you're doing in the problem areas and experiment. Also, as we get older our skin and whiskers change... so continual "totally aware" practice is a must.

I do my best to keep my SWB on at all times (of course, it doesn't always happen :001_rolle). :wink2:

Yup. Practice makes permanent, whether the technique is good or bad. Though if your practice does involve some trialling and experimentation, there's a good chance or refinement before things get ingrained too deeply.

Reactions: Cal
I tried shaving by feel only, then checking briefly in the mirror. Unfortunately, I started too close to when I had to leave for an appointment, so I didn't check well enough.

Most of my neck is great! Very minimal irritation, no blood leaking out, and everything is nice and smooth...

Except that one spot on my jawline and another area closer to my chest. Seems I totally missed that last bit.

Sightless shaving might be for me, but I need to schedule my shaves when I have plenty of time to spare.

When I shave with my Feather Artist Club DX folding razor, I get very very close BBS. So much so that I hardly have anything to shave next day ! Yesterday I shaved with my DX and did 3 passes and today I just did a one pass shave with Feather AC SS and still got a DFS everywhere on the face ! So the next time when I am using the DX, I will stop with just 2 passes !

I tried shaving by feel only, then checking briefly in the mirror. . . . Sightless shaving might be for me, but I need to schedule my shaves when I have plenty of time to spare.
Which is why I've never considered shaving in the shower. I need to see what I'm passing that blade across. (Yeah, I know, there are fogless shaving mirrors, but where would I hang one?) Besides, I enjoy shaving before the shower, and feeling the smooth face and throat as I clean the rest of me.)

Top Bottom